The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   1956 woody boat (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=675644)

motornut 09-24-2015 08:19 AM

Re: 1956 woody boat

wow big difference

brad_man_72 10-05-2015 03:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've started to cut the varnish. I've got a long ways to go before its flat. Before and after some 80 grit lovin. 80 grit is a little too rough to cover with one coat. I might try some 120 next time.

Kerry P 10-05-2015 02:31 PM

Great work!

My Dad had two Chris Crafts when I was a kid. Seeing what he had to do to keep them looking great (he always did keep them up) I swore I'd never have a wooden boat. You are helping me stick to my 50 year old decision. Keep the photos coming.

brad_man_72 10-15-2015 10:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Plenty more work but not much progress/results/difference? 6 more coats of varnish then 6 hours with a DA and 80 grit. Deck is smooth and sides are starting to take shape. The wood was pretty wavy and had plenty of cracking and splitting. Not much to see that is picture worthy. Started cleaning up some hardware and installing it. The boat has a soft reveal this weekend. The original owners son is having a bbq and hasn't seen the boat since before varnish. There will be plenty more coats of varnish and a final cut and buff before its really done.

Dieselwrencher 10-15-2015 11:26 PM

Brad, great score on the boat, and awesome work on it! It looks 150% better even if you aren't done with the varnish work. It looks sweet from here!

carboncrew 10-16-2015 09:55 AM

That is an awesome transformation. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Low Elco 10-16-2015 01:21 PM

Awwwwww yeah. Looks good!

brad_man_72 10-21-2015 09:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sneak peek.

LEEVON 10-21-2015 09:09 PM

Nice woody! (no homo)

95stepside 10-21-2015 11:42 PM

Does this thread make anyone else think of a certain Alan Jackson song?

Dieselwrencher 10-22-2015 09:20 PM

Very nice! Had it out on the water yet?

Low Elco 10-23-2015 01:07 PM

Lookin' good!

brad_man_72 10-23-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7350438)
Very nice! Had it out on the water yet?

Haven't hit the water yet. I have it blown back apart again, more varnish for now, still have to refinish steering wheel, paint the green stripe and get it legal.

brad_man_72 10-31-2016 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dramatic update. I'm getting a divorce, wife stole the titles and had them put in her name. So I haven't done much in the last 8 months. Due to differing opinions on the current value of the boat I took it to have it assessed by a local antique boat guru. While at the car show. Where we met up an older gentleman was really checking out the old girl. We struck up a conversation it turns out that he used to watch his dad build wood boats for his family and friends in the 50s as a hobby. He asked a little about who owned the boat before me and it belonged to his uncle... this guy is the son of the guy who built the boat in 56! Small world, neat story.

watahyahknow 10-31-2016 01:57 PM

sure hope she doesnt report the boat stolen , that would top it all
too bad you didnt find out before she transfered the tiotle or you couldve reported the papers stolen and get a new set
she couldve used the title to wipe her ass with it , it wouldnt be worth more than toiletpaper

never did like people that go after the money just to hurt the other , i would rather set fire to the boat if it whent that way

jjzepplin 10-31-2016 06:42 PM

That boat is very nice. The situation sux!. I learned this same lesson the hard way. As you did. Trust yourself---.

brad_man_72 11-01-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 7757072)
sure hope she doesnt report the boat stolen , that would top it all
too bad you didnt find out before she transfered the tiotle or you couldve reported the papers stolen and get a new set
she couldve used the title to wipe her ass with it , it wouldnt be worth more than toiletpaper

never did like people that go after the money just to hurt the other , i would rather set fire to the boat if it whent that way

Oh she took everything she could get her hands on. Including 1/2 years worth of my salary, plants in the front yard, drawer knobs, drawer liners, shower curtain rings, condoms, my phone number... that's just the stuff that's easy to laugh at and will make her look like a great person in front of the judge.

Its not the first time I've thought about renaming the boat to "LOVE ME TINDER"

watahyahknow 11-01-2016 03:56 PM

next time make her sign the waver (wats mine stays mine) before signing the marriagecontract

brad_man_72 11-01-2016 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
She doesn't care about what is legal for her to take. She is facing a couple of felony charges. The whole marriage was based on backmail. I could give her whatever she wanted or I could go to jail. Her blackmail ended up not being anything at all.... what a waste of my life.

Luckily for me none of my real assetts are in my name. She always tried to get me to sign over my truck and boat and wanted her name on the house "or the relationship wouldn't work". Just a gold digger who ran out of shovel. We head to court dec 12, hopefully the judge sorts her out in a big way.

Says she wanted to stay married to me forever.... no crap. Free rent, early retirement " don't need a job", nice house... I'm sure half the guys here would want to stay married to me forever too, she had quite the sweet gig.

watahyahknow 11-01-2016 05:48 PM

just make sure she cant find that stuff or she might have it stolen
everything insured propperly too ?

brad_man_72 11-01-2016 06:38 PM

She doesn't care about what is legal for her to take. She is facing a couple of felony charges. The whole marriage was based on backmail. I could give her whatever she wanted or I could go to jail. Her blackmail ended up not being anything at all.... what a waste of my life.

Luckily for me none of my real assetts are in my name. She always tried to get me to sign over my truck and boat and wanted her name on the house "or the relationship wouldn't work". Just a gold digger who ran out of shovel. We head to court dec 12, hopefully the judge sorts her out in a big way.

Says she wanted to stay married to me forever.... no crap. Free rent, early retirement " don't need a job", nice house... I'm sure half the guys here would want to stay married to me forever too, she had quite the sweet gig.

Custom 68 11-02-2016 09:14 AM

Brad I am just catching up on the boat. It is looking good. Again sorry for the other mess. I hope it is all behind you now.
Dave

Dieselwrencher 11-02-2016 04:24 PM

Nice to see you got some history on the boat. Sorry to hear of your troubles you're having. Good luck with them and hopefully things can go more smoothly for you!

brad_man_72 11-02-2016 06:20 PM

We go to court dec 12 for divorce. I turned her in for contempt for cancelling my health insurance that I was paying for for both of us. She tried to get a restraining order on me, it was hard to not lol when the judge asked her if she knew what perjury meant, then she was in contmpt of court a time or two, implied that the judge was stupid, assaulted the judge, then handed the judge evidence that she has been cyberstalking me for 3 months at that point. The kicker, we have the same judge for the divorce. I'm doing cartwheels over here. I can't wait.
The contempt insurance thing got moved in with the divorce. That should cost her $700... she will regret not taking just her stuff and leaving in a civil manner.

68gmsee 11-04-2016 10:48 AM

brad_man_72, sorry to hear about your problems, amigo. I went through that loooong time ago back in the 80's. It got so bad I had to leave to keep my sanity. Left her the house, horse that I raised and trained, vehicles, everything. She sold it all and remarried few months after the divorce. New husband was smarter than me. He found out she was nuts and divorced her a years later.

But wait! The good news is I met a young lady a few years after the divorce that is my soulmate. We've been married almost 30 yrs and it's all good. You'll find yours also.