The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Prototype center speaker holder (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=688482)

Kyle@FTP 01-04-2016 06:32 PM

Re: Prototype center speaker holder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdrcreyn4 (Post 7429350)
Thanks for checking. It's probably just the holiday backup. Looking forward to getting it and providing feedback.

PM sent with tracking info. We made a slight revision and upgraded your speakers for free due to the delay. Thanks again for the order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Ironduke (Post 7433336)
Shoot me a PM when you get your next run completed. I need one with out speakers shipped to 08046. My interior is empty so installation should be an easy task. Thanks for supporting the truck community.

Paul

Paul, I have blanks cut and ready to build. So as soon as you order I will build yours and get it in a box.

88Ironduke 01-04-2016 07:38 PM

Done! Looking forward to this little project.

Paul

Tdrcreyn4 01-07-2016 03:06 PM

Got my set up today. I'll pass along some feedback when I get it installed. Thanks.

Steve Cole 01-07-2016 04:07 PM

Please do Tdrcreyn4, I am seriously considering this.

Steve Cole 01-08-2016 12:26 AM

Hey Kyle,

Any chance I can get custom sized speaker holes cut? I need 3.890" holes instead of 4" holes. If you can't, I understand.

Thanks.

88Ironduke 01-08-2016 12:47 AM

I ordered mine from the website the other day. I can't wait to get this little part of my project moving ahead. This should be a sweet addition to my truck considering it never had the center speaker from the factory...

Paul

Kyle@FTP 01-08-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 7439315)
Hey Kyle,

Any chance I can get custom sized speaker holes cut? I need 3.890" holes instead of 4" holes. If you can't, I understand.

Im sure I can do a little re tooling for a smaller hole. If you dont mind me asking, what for? I have found that most 4" speakers have the same bolt pattern. and hole size should not effect sound quality enough to notice.

Another nice side note, with the adhesive done correctly, there is also zero rattles even with a 10" sub hitting as hard as it can.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Ironduke (Post 7439340)
I ordered mine from the website the other day. I can't wait to get this little part of my project moving ahead. This should be a sweet addition to my truck considering it never had the center speaker from the factory...

Paul

I have yours 95% done, waiting on the new thread inserts to get here Monday. Ill get them pressed in and it shipped out to you.

Steve Cole 01-09-2016 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kyle,
The speakers have raised lip that is just outside of the speaker surround, this lip is even with the frame edge so if the speaker hole is bigger than the O.D. of the raised lip, (3.890) then there will be gaps around the speaker. I know it probably won't have a big impact on the sound but I am OCD that way. If you can make the speaker holes a custom size then I would appreciate it and will order this from you. If you can't, or if it's too much trouble, I understand and might still order from you. Thanks, Steve

Attachment 1486168

Kyle@FTP 01-10-2016 10:53 AM

Let me look tomorrow and see what I would need to re tool. If I can do it effectively then I will.

Steve Cole 01-10-2016 11:04 AM

Thanks Kyle. I'll standby.

darkhorse970 01-10-2016 03:40 PM

I would like one and maybe two. Do you know if it will work in a '63 C-10 dash?

Kyle@FTP 01-11-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970 (Post 7442394)
I would like one and maybe two. Do you know if it will work in a '63 C-10 dash?

Although I have not installed one on a 63. it should work. You can take a piece of cardboard, cut it 10"x7" and stick it up there and that should tell you if it will work for sure.

Starting to get some feedback and pictures from customer installs. So far so good. everyone seems to be happy so far and thats my #1 goal.

Steve Cole 01-11-2016 06:35 PM

Kyle,

Can you give the spacing measurements for the speaker mounting screw holes?
My speaker frames look smaller than the speakers you used so I just want to doublecheck that the mounting holes are the same.
Thanks!

Kyle@FTP 01-11-2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 7443892)
Kyle,

Can you give the spacing measurements for the speaker mounting screw holes?
My speaker frames look smaller than the speakers you used so I just want to doublecheck that the mounting holes are the same.
Thanks!

I believe 3.25 square

Steve Cole 01-12-2016 06:57 PM

Thanks Kyle, those measurements will work just fine. Any news on the possibility of a reduced speaker cutout size?
Thanks.

Kyle@FTP 01-13-2016 08:14 PM

Steve, after looking at tooling options it would require a whole new jig to be made to get the size whole you are looking for. Sorry. The kenwood speakers call for the same size hole you are looking for. I cut them a little bigger to make sure there was no interference with the part of the speaker that moves. (no vibration noises)

If there is anything else I can do please let me know.

Kyle

Kyle@FTP 01-13-2016 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdrcreyn4 (Post 7438645)
Got my set up today. I'll pass along some feedback when I get it installed. Thanks.

Any luck on install? I had another customer email me with some tips. He said rubber gloves are a must as the adhesive is a bit sticky. Also he removed the glove box liner and the passenger defrost vent hose. Said the piece slid in very nicely.

He was also extremely happy with the quality and volume that was produced by just the center speakers. here is a picture of his install.

Steve Cole 01-13-2016 11:39 PM

Thanks for considering that for me Kyle. Question: the holes that you are cutting, are they an exact 4"?

Thanks.

Kyle@FTP 01-15-2016 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 7446903)
Thanks for considering that for me Kyle. Question: the holes that you are cutting, are they an exact 4"?

Thanks.

Here is the actual hole size and spread for you. Hope this helps.

Kyle@FTP 01-15-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Ironduke (Post 7439340)

Paul

Paul, I just wanted to give you a update. The new inserts we switched to came in, I presses them in and after a little testing ended up failing. Although they failed under a condition I dont ever see them being in, they still failed. So Im headed back to the old tried and true design. You will have yours soon.

88Ironduke 01-15-2016 09:32 PM

Sounds great. Take your time.

Paul

Tdrcreyn4 01-21-2016 07:58 AM

Kyle,
Got my set up installed and love it. As info, I installed this in an AC truck. I had to make a very minor modification to clear the hoses by thinning the front corners by about half just over the center plastic vent. Took 2 minutes with a multi-max tool and I did it after the piece was installed. Looks great with no modifications to the truck and is very solid. Thanks for the part, it was exactly what I was looking for.
Todd

Kyle@FTP 01-21-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdrcreyn4 (Post 7455524)
Kyle,
Got my set up installed and love it. As info, I installed this in an AC truck. I had to make a very minor modification to clear the hoses by thinning the front corners by about half just over the center plastic vent. Took 2 minutes with a multi-max tool and I did it after the piece was installed. Looks great with no modifications to the truck and is very solid. Thanks for the part, it was exactly what I was looking for.
Todd

Thats great to hear Todd. Thanks for the feedback.

jamesjones 01-21-2016 03:06 PM

Not to hijack the thread but FYI the fredstruckparts site is down.

Kyle@FTP 01-21-2016 03:10 PM

Thanks for letting me know. We have been having some major issues lately. The server company keeps telling me is cyber attacks. They are starting to irritate me.