The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   67-72 Blazer Development/Concept Photos (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=718387)

hemi43 01-24-2024 09:41 AM

Re: 67-72 Blazer Development/Concept Photos

3 Attachment(s)
Old post, but very cool how they used to do it before computers. Today it's much different. The pics are what's used today as the master model for a given vehicle. This is the master jig for the Camaro when it first came out. It's made from solid aluminum, and all the opening panels including the interior can be bolted to it. This was used to test fit all the pieces, and it's the only one in the world. If fact, if you look closely at the first picture, the deck lid is a production part bolted to the jig.
The previous master jig for the Monte Carlo was completely made from carbon fiber. I'll see if I can dig up any pics from that one because it looked cool.

Keith Seymore 01-24-2024 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9279578)
Old post, but very cool how they used to do it before computers. Today it's much different. The pics are what's used today as the master model for a given vehicle. This is the master jig for the Camaro when it first came out. It's made from solid aluminum, and all the opening panels including the interior can be bolted to it. This was used to test fit all the pieces, and it's the only one in the world. If fact, if you look closely at the first picture, the deck lid is a production part bolted to the jig.
The previous master jig for the Monte Carlo was completely made from carbon fiber. I'll see if I can dig up any pics from that one because it looked cool.

That looks like an interior check fixture (master for checking fitment of interior parts).

We still use clay for the exteriors in the studio; it's just the computer is used to mill the surface into the clay, and then transfer the surface data to engineering when ready.

K

Thealien 01-24-2024 11:01 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I had never seen those pictures and it’s very interesting.

hemi43 01-26-2024 10:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 9279611)
That looks like an interior check fixture (master for checking fitment of interior parts).
K

It is,but some exterior panels were able to be checked on this fixture as well .Here's the other half for checking the rest of the exterior panels.
BTW, all this tooling and the stamping dies were made in Japan! Is the Camaro American enough for y'all? Camaro only has around 35-40% North American content, whereas a Toyota RAV4 has double. Murica!

Keith Seymore 01-26-2024 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9280214)
BTW, all this tooling and the stamping dies were made in Japan!

Thank you for mentioning that! You answered a question I had not even asked yet.

I ass-umed that the fixture was made in SE Michigan somewhere and then shipped north.

K

hemi43 01-26-2024 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 9280223)
Thank you for mentioning that! You answered a question I had not even asked yet.

I ass-umed that the fixture was made in SE Michigan somewhere and then shipped north.

K

I'm not sure where the fixtures were made. I just recall we had a lot of tuning to do to get those dies to work. We couldn't even do the work ourselves because they were under "warranty", so they sent die makers from Japan to try and tune them in.
We used to build the Buick Regal also, and once the project was done all the old tooling, dies and door assembly lines went to South Korea. Service parts maybe? who knows.
I remember walking down the line during shutdowns and looking at all the boxes that the parts for the Camaro came in. 80% of the boxes said "made in China" on them. Sad!!
This Camaro body in white is the very first one made. I think it was assembled in Japan also, but can't confirm. It was eventually scrapped.

DeadheadNM 01-26-2024 11:14 PM

What’s the Canadian content on a Camaro?

hemi43 01-27-2024 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9280391)
What’s the Canadian content on a Camaro?

Used to be between 35-45%. The Camaro is now assembled in the US and things may have changed a bit.
For comparison, the Toyota RAV4 is also built here in Ontario and it's North American content is 75-80%.
Sad days when more of your dollars go overseas when buying a Chevy instead of a Toyota.

DeadheadNM 01-27-2024 01:34 PM

Agree, it’s sad. I’d add more commentary but don’t want to take this thread in another direction than it was intended so will refrain.

57taskforce 01-27-2024 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9280468)
Used to be between 35-45%. The Camaro is now assembled in the US and things may have changed a bit.
For comparison, the Toyota RAV4 is also built here in Ontario and it's North American content is 75-80%.
Sad days when more of your dollars go overseas when buying a Chevy instead of a Toyota.

Correction… the Camaro is no longer assembled… cool 5th Gen pics. I borrowed them and posted on Camaro5, hope that’s ok. Love seeing the old blazer development pics. Interesting to see the different changes it went thru before production.

hemi43 01-28-2024 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9280514)
Agree, it’s sad. I’d add more commentary but don’t want to take this thread in another direction than it was intended so will refrain.

It's an 8 year old thread that needed a new breath of life.:lol:

Getter-Done 01-28-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9280346)
I remember walking down the line during shutdowns and looking at all the boxes that the parts for the Camaro came in. 80% of the boxes said "made in China" on them. Sad!!

When I first started working in Tool and Die, I was directed to this video. :lol:

And that is probably how they still do it.:lol:

Getter-Done 01-28-2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9279463)
Five years on bump for new eyes...

Thanks for bringing this to the top.

I have not seen this Thread.

I am glad the Blazer turned out like it did.