The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Got Cragars, will this backspacing work or do I need to exchange? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=726582)

HunterRotten 01-08-2017 07:44 PM

Re: Got Cragars, will this backspacing work or do I need to exchange?

Sooooo.. sorry to triple post but we have come up with a viable solution after bolting up the inner fenders to the bed. I think it will have just enough clearance to only dig into the sidewall on a 15x10 Cragar S/S with 4.25" backspacing and 295/50/15 tire when under load or hitting a large bump. (Not at current ride height.. read above to see how I'm going to raise the truck up.) To gain even more clearance so that it hopefully never happens, we(my dad) are going to fabricate up a shim between the bedside and bolt-in fender made out of 3/16" steel. This should push the bedside out just enough to the extra safety and comfort of running a wheel with this offset + wide tire.

If we are wrong or totally backwards, go ahead and post. I have read every comment and taken all suggestions and situations into consideration and theory with my dad. I think after the shim is welded in, seam sealed, and then bedlined it won't look a bit out of place.

bbbc10 01-09-2017 12:08 AM

I wouldnt shim the bed.....jus get correct wheels

SCOTI 01-09-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterRotten (Post 7819722)
Sooooo.. sorry to triple post but we have come up with a viable solution after bolting up the inner fenders to the bed. I think it will have just enough clearance to only dig into the sidewall on a 15x10 Cragar S/S with 4.25" backspacing and 295/50/15 tire when under load or hitting a large bump. (Not at current ride height.. read above to see how I'm going to raise the truck up.) To gain even more clearance so that it hopefully never happens, we(my dad) are going to fabricate up a shim between the bedside and bolt-in fender made out of 3/16" steel. This should push the bedside out just enough to the extra safety and comfort of running a wheel with this offset + wide tire.

If we are wrong or totally backwards, go ahead and post. I have read every comment and taken all suggestions and situations into consideration and theory with my dad. I think after the shim is welded in, seam sealed, and then bedlined it won't look a bit out of place.

I would test your theory of this 'shim' pushing the bedside out. My suspicion is it will only tweak how squarely the inner tub bolts in. My suggestion is to find wheels w/better (correct) back spacing.

JWall 01-09-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbc10 (Post 7820076)
I wouldnt shim the bed.....jus get correct wheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 7820355)
My suggestion is to find wheels w/better (correct) back spacing.

^ This.

I'd be leary of "shimming" the bed side out.
Could tweak a lot of things.
It could also cause paint and/or body work as well with the bedside flexing.