The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter brace for 350 SBC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=776005)

Rich72C10 01-18-2022 10:36 AM

Re: Starter brace for 350 SBC

I got mine on a bit ago, got the Starter Brace Mount from Summit (a Chevrolet Performance 3965589) and I got the Starter Brace Mount Bolt off eBay. Fit perfectly! I have to say, getting that bolt onto block isn't easy with the exhaust all hooked up. I was able to get maybe 1/2 turn with my wrench. Now getting off the started has been made into a real ***** next time.

Hopefully the brace will help (and my outer shims) me... twice since December I have to unbolt the starter and just put it back on, as it started grinding something god awful.

pjmoreland 02-16-2022 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was not aware of the existence of this part until I saw this thread. Got that same one as you, Richard, from Summit as well.

Rich72C10 02-16-2022 02:08 PM

It is supposed to be important and also the most thrown away part too.

I was struggling getting my starter to behave, so I gave up and took it to a "starter shop" that was recommended by my general mech shop. It's happy now (or at least the truck hasn't stop starting) but the Starter Mech was like, "I can't believe you have that brace - they are never there! They are such a PITA!!". I was like ya, it wasn't fun getting on at all!

Edit: I see you don't have your manifolds on or it seems that way. With the Ram horns / tail pipe installed, I was only able to get like 1/4~1/2 turn and had to keep flipping my wrench! I am telling you, it took FOREVER to get that bolt on the block tighten down for me ;-)

pjmoreland 02-16-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9035651)
It is supposed to be important and also the most thrown away part too.

I was struggling getting my starter to behave, so I gave up and took it to a "starter shop" that was recommended by my general mech shop. It's happy now (or at least the truck hasn't stop starting) but the Starter Mech was like, "I can't believe you have that brace - they are never there! They are such a PITA!!". I was like ya, it wasn't fun getting on at all!

Edit: I see you don't have your manifolds on or it seems that way. With the Ram horns, I was only able to get like 1/4 turn and had to keep flipping my wrench! I am telling you, it took FOREVER to get that bolt on the block tighten down for me ;-)

Fortunately for me I was able to install it before the headers were in place, so it was a piece of cake. I could see it being a real pain with everything else installed.

GASoline71 02-16-2022 03:42 PM

I have removed a bunch of those over the years as they tend to be a pain in the rear to reinstall when changing out a starter. I have about 4 of them in a parts bin somewhere.

Gary

pjmoreland 02-16-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 9035693)
I have removed a bunch of those over the years as they tend to be a pain in the rear to reinstall when changing out a starter. I have about 4 of them in a parts bin somewhere.

Gary

I hear ya. I got some kind of strange satisfaction from installing that bracket though. That, and replacing all of the missing screws some PO didn't think were worth his time to install in the inner fenders.

zicc1835 02-16-2022 03:52 PM

Subd