The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   the ls engine debackle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=803902)

YBNORML 04-07-2020 02:42 PM

Re: the ls engine debackle

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruDom (Post 8711090)
in summary: old guy only reads opinion of other old guys and unwilling to learn new technology; hates new technology.
should say LS isn't even new technology; it's dated now.

Posts like this are why this site needs a LIKE BUTTON:lol::lol::lol:

I personally don’t care how other people build their stuff, I just admire the stuff I like and ignore the stuff I don’t.
As someone who builds them low with big wheels, I have to constantly listen to others whine about ruining the trucks or wasting money on stupid wheels or whatever self entitled stupid comment you can imagine.

Sad thing is, I love all types of builds for these trucks, from stock to heavily modified of all styles. Wish more people would just keep their opinions to themselves and enjoy the hobby and how diverse it is. There’s lots of trucks to go around.

jjzepplin 04-07-2020 02:47 PM

LIKE! There

Happy_dan 04-07-2020 03:08 PM

Yea, agreed! Why be normal?

CastIron 04-07-2020 03:22 PM

I have no intention of ever installing an LS engine in my truck. My gen 1 small block runs perfectly fine (even after sitting a month or when it's freezing) and I have every expectation it will last a long time. There's plenty of old 350s that have over 200k miles on them. And it has plenty of torque, more than a stock 5.3. Installing a new high-tech LS isn't going to magically turn one of these trucks into an ultra-reliable truck nor some sort of high performance vehicle.

special-K 04-07-2020 04:11 PM

I wonder how many of these weekend toys a number like 200,000 miles matters on. I have no idea how many miles are on the '72 K/20 350 in my '72 K2500, but I rebuilt it in '91 and this is the second truck it's lived in.

hamjet 04-07-2020 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8711173)
for sure no doubt at all the 348 and 409 look amazing.

I think so too!!!

LockDoc 04-07-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruDom (Post 8711090)
in summary: old guy only reads opinion of other old guys and unwilling to learn new technology; hates new technology.
should say LS isn't even new technology; it's dated now.

I was 73 when I installed the LS1/4l60e in the Panel Truck, and as I mentioned earlier I did all of the work myself including cutting the wire loom. I also purchased HP Tuners and did the final tune on it myself. I don't think your blanket analogy holds much water.

LockDoc

SCOTI 04-07-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8711270)
I was 73 when I installed the LS1/4l60e in the Panel Truck, and as I mentioned earlier I did all of the work myself including cutting the wire loom. I also purchased HP Tuners and did the final tune on it myself. I don't think your blanket analogy holds much water.

LockDoc

Typical of youth ;) [/SARCASM]

LS short box 04-07-2020 04:48 PM

As said many times above build what you like but don't talk trash about other peoples project just because doesn't fit your style of build.
I'm a LS guy and I'm over 60. Can't remember the last time I took out my timing light.
I've built a few LS engines. Some cheap just to get them back on the road. Others like a 6.0 LS sleeved and stroked to 427 cubes. It was 495 hp at the rear wheels. Very easy to tune. 20+ mpg. Wasn't cheap but was a great combo.
I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with a LS6/4L60E combo. I did the swap 12 years ago and its been bullet proof. I wouldn't build anything but a LS for a hot rod project.

weq92f 04-07-2020 04:54 PM

My corn bowl got a refill, then I burnt the trash bag with the unpopped kernels LOL! Shoulda letem cool off longer dangit.

::popcorn::

-klb

Hatzman 04-07-2020 05:08 PM

I'm in the process of my first LS conversion. I'm sure I made lots of expensive mistakes already (has cost me a small fortune) but by far I have no regrets. My old SBC always had issues in inclement weather and took forever to start up in the cold mornings.

I see auto-start in my near future!

cst69 04-07-2020 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it's not cheap and I don't know the specs but LS Classic by Lokar has that 409 LS motor you are looking for along with some other classic LS looks.

SCOTI 04-07-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cst69 (Post 8711306)
Well, it's not cheap and I don't know the specs but LS Classic by Lokar has that 409 LS motor you are looking for along with some other classic LS looks.

Key words. For the $$ spent, its opposite of the "LS engine swaps can be done cheaply" soap-box.

garyd1961 04-07-2020 05:36 PM

I'm sort of in between here. I would never build an old sbc with a flat tappet cam but I do like the old school 350. Also I don't want to take the time and expense to do an ls swap.
For me the perfect solution was a Chevy vortec crate engine. It's the best gen 1 sbc ever produced in my opinion. It has the look of the old small block with a lot of updated features such as the hydraulic roller cam and vortec heads. Plus it's pretty easy to convert from the old 350 to a vortec. I have seen quite a few of them with 250,000 and still running strong.
As for cold starts, I have never had a problem with any sbc starting when it was cold. Of all the problems I have seen starting cold it was the battery not the motor.
I have nothing against the ls motor if that's what you like but give me the old school 350, that is as long as it has a roller cam and vortec heads.

MDPotter 04-07-2020 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I might as well chime in here.

In my opinion, LS vs SBC/BBC differs for everyone as a result of their taste and what they plan to do with the truck. If someone wants to daily a classic for a considerable distance, LS is the way to go for efficiency and reliability. If someone wants a toy, either route could be just fine.

I'm young and I love LS engines. Easy to work on, make a ton of power, and they're everywhere. And not hard on the wallet.

But it would be cool to have a SBC in a mostly original truck just for the "old school" feel. When I was in high school I worked on a farm and they had (actually still have) two 1968 Chevy's for hauling grain, straw, and hay. So getting in a 67-72 and looking at the original gauges, pumping the gas a few times, and hearing a SBC come to life and shifting through the gears is nostalgic for me.

But when I want to get in my 68 restomod and have some fun, it starts right up and goes. No choke, cold start issues, gets great mileage, and makes great power.

Attachment 1999938

57taskforce 04-07-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastIron (Post 8711216)
I have no intention of ever installing an LS engine in my truck. My gen 1 small block runs perfectly fine (even after sitting a month or when it's freezing) and I have every expectation it will last a long time. There's plenty of old 350s that have over 200k miles on them. And it has plenty of torque, more than a stock 5.3. Installing a new high-tech LS isn't going to magically turn one of these trucks into an ultra-reliable truck nor some sort of high performance vehicle.

Is your 350 built up at all or stock?

truckster 04-07-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or does that engine have one orange valve cover and one silver valve cover?

LockDoc 04-07-2020 07:58 PM

-
I have all kinds of engines:

1 - all aluminum 215 V8 (GM BOP) (Later sold to Rover)

1 - stock 250 I6 in my 'Green '67 driver

3- 292's on the shop floor

1 - built 305 on the shop floor

1- stock 327 in my '36 Ford street rod

1 - stock 327 in my '68 CST driver

1 - stock 305 in my '70 SWB pickup

1 - 350 in my '39 Ford street rod

2 - 5.3's one on the shop floor and one in the barn

1 - warmed 5.7 LS1 in my '67 Chevy Panel Truck

2 - 8.1 496's one on the shop floor and one ready to pull out of the 2003 4x4 truck.

I guess you could say I like them all, but my fave is still the LS1.

Man, where did I get all of this stuff.... :(

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot the crate 350 in the '72 Dually work truck.

LockDoc

rockyrivermark 04-07-2020 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8711409)
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or does that engine have one orange valve cover and one silver valve cover?

I love how you guys always catch things in photos most of us miss
Yes. You’re right.
Good stuff
For me I like old school engine in old school truck
I can surely appreciate the LS power and fuel economy though.
It’s your truck. Do what you wish and enjoy it.
Peace.
RRM

AussieinNC 04-07-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8711270)

LockDoc

The original quote by Trudom lists "old guy"etc etc

Leon,

You are not old !
More experienced, yes,
Sarcastic, yes,
Willing to learn new technology, yes,
Overall nice guy, yes,

Have a nice day !

:chevy::chevy:

CastIron 04-07-2020 09:03 PM

I really doubt there is many people averaging 20 mpg with 400+hp in one of these trucks. They are just too heavy and not the least bit aerodynamic. That's better than a lot of modern cars with similar engines. The Camaro LT1 has a 6.2 direct injected engine with 455 hp and is rated at 19 mpg. The Mustang GT with the 460 hp 5.0 gets about the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8711392)
Is your 350 built up at all or stock?

Mine is a crate engine with Edelbrock intake/carb set up. It has about the same torque but a little less hp than the newest 5.3, but the torque peak is lower, where it should be for a truck. A typical 350 with more than 9:1 compression, decent heads, a well-tuned 4 barrel carb, and decent exhaust has no problem reaching 380+ lb/ft.

tim_mc 04-07-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyd1961 (Post 8711333)
I'm sort of in between here. I would never build an old sbc with a flat tappet cam but I do like the old school 350. Also I don't want to take the time and expense to do an ls swap.
For me the perfect solution was a Chevy vortec crate engine. It's the best gen 1 sbc ever produced in my opinion. It has the look of the old small block with a lot of updated features such as the hydraulic roller cam and vortec heads. Plus it's pretty easy to convert from the old 350 to a vortec. I have seen quite a few of them with 250,000 and still running strong.
As for cold starts, I have never had a problem with any sbc starting when it was cold. Of all the problems I have seen starting cold it was the battery not the motor.
I have nothing against the ls motor if that's what you like but give me the old school 350, that is as long as it has a roller cam and vortec heads.

I'm with Gary...I have an LS1 in my '02 Z28 and like it, but chose a new 350 SBC upgraded with Brodix IK 180 aluminum heads and a hydraulic roller cam for my '67 farm truck. Now if Comp Cams would just ship my cam kit!

hamjet 04-08-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they're just bolt-on valve covers to make your ls engine look like a 409. about $700.00 for the valve covers..

SCOTI 04-08-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8711409)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyrivermark (Post 8711457)
I love how you guys always catch things in photos most of us miss
Yes. You’re right.

I recall seeing an LS retro conversion that had the 'W' shaped tin v/covers. One was done traditional 409 in a Fawn/Silver; the other was GMC in the Orange plaid.

cst69 04-08-2020 04:27 PM

did anyone catch the fake distributor