The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rather unique build Longhorn (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=805129)

67C10Step 04-27-2020 03:42 PM

Re: Rather unique build Longhorn

Scranton, AR I see. Right near Lake Dardanelle. North to the Ozark mountains, south to the Ouachita mountains. Good home base for a rig like that.

The previous owner obviously has some adventures in that rig. As we all should.

rustyrodknocker 04-27-2020 11:06 PM

I hurts my eyes. With a flatbed and the tag on the ground I could look at that. But this is too much.

cornerstone 04-28-2020 12:31 AM

Man that is a real time capsule, and I bet the gentleman that went to all that trouble with the modifications loved it. FirstOwner is right... you stole it! Its amazingly clean as far as the body goes, rockers look near perfect as well as the steering wheel. I'm curious what the round thing on the high hump is... It kind of looks like a light fixture. Is there a reason as to why the bed appears to be sitting higher than the cab?

Killer Bee 04-28-2020 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8727346)
Man that is a real time capsule, and I bet the gentleman that went to all that trouble with the modifications loved it. FirstOwner is right... you stole it! Its amazingly clean as far as the body goes, rockers look near perfect as well as the steering wheel. I'm curious what the round thing on the high hump is... It kind of looks like a light fixture. Is there a reason as to why the bed appears to be sitting higher than the cab?

bullseye bubble level, I noticed that too ;)

JDL 04-28-2020 07:12 AM

Yes it is a level. Reason for the box setting off is for clearance for the tag axle stuff

factorystock 04-28-2020 12:06 PM

Back in the day, I would have traded this pickup in on a 1 ton with duals, today, I would get it back to 2 axle with standard bed configuration.

jamie72 04-28-2020 09:42 PM

i just seen a stepside gmc on facebook setup alot like this.

JDL 05-02-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had it do some work today

jocko 05-02-2020 08:37 PM

Good Lordy, that's an amazing rig. All you need is a set of side mirror CB antennas (and perhaps a CB) :)

Ol Blue K20 05-02-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8730912)
Good Lordy, that's an amazing rig. All you need is a set of side mirror CB antennas (and perhaps a CB) :)

Yeah! X2

HO455 05-02-2020 09:10 PM

Now that's a head Turner! :metal::metal:

factorystock 05-03-2020 12:08 PM

Definitely a look were not use to. I would add, the amount of GMC 3/4 ton's with original white painted hubcaps on this site, I could count with one hand.

weim55 05-03-2020 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=weim55

That truck shows some serious love in its condition and modifications.......

If you have a 30 or 40 foot vintage airstream you are set!

I dare you, just one time, put this truck back on the road for its intended purpose and document it for us!

I know a lot of people would fall into the camp of blasphemy and butchery for opinion. That guy put some serious time and thought AND labor to make his vision happen. There are some good stories behind the miles in that truck! I’m holding my glass up here at the breakfast table to him, “ cheers buddy, I hope it was a good life, and you left something behind to smile about......

Enjoy your new rig :)

Steve weim55 Colorado[/QUOTE]

Fantastic!, made my Sunday morning again! Feel like I just lost a large bet and OU something !! :)

Now....... put a hitch on the back of that travel trailer and then your ‘63 nova drag car and trailer behind that! There couldn’t possibly be a cooler rig to roll into a dragstrip anywhere ............ :)

Steve weim55 Colorado

Steeveedee 05-03-2020 03:21 PM

I take it that the rear-most set of wheels is for load capacity and brakes, right? I can't imagine it having a drive shaft to it.

Corts60 05-03-2020 05:21 PM

What a crazy rig. That original owner must have been a very knowledgeable mechanic of some kind. Or a farm mechanic, haha. Funny it has a Mopar alternator on it instead of relocating a Delco unit.

Ol Blue K20 05-03-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8731375)
I take it that the rear-most set of wheels is for load capacity and brakes, right? I can't imagine it having a drive shaft to it.

Yes, it's a tag axle to help with weight. It's not another drive axle, I'm assuming it has brakes.

JDL 05-03-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corts60 (Post 8731442)
What a crazy rig. That original owner must have been a very knowledgeable mechanic of some kind. Or a farm mechanic, haha. Funny it has a Mopar alternator on it instead of relocating a Delco unit.

He was a machinist and welder would of been a good guy to know.
The Mopar alt is addition to the Delco one still in the stock location the needed the extra power back thin without the high out put alts we have today . I will most likely upgrade it an remove the extra.

And the tag excel has brakes to.

davischevy 05-03-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8726130)
Interesting truck. If it’s from Arkansas, other Larry may have built and used that in his excavation business

I've never seen that truck in person, but we built the pump stations that pump water across the Arkansas River to Scranton. I guess I should have looked around more.

We had enough stuff stolen down there to pay for a nice K20.

davischevy 05-03-2020 11:15 PM

That is a neat old truck in it's own way.

truckster 05-03-2020 11:21 PM

This looks like it just might be a future TOTM. And it wouldn't take much to get there.

Snake72 05-04-2020 10:06 AM

I saw the ad for that truck locally here, very well preserved and unique. I'm happy it went to a board member! congrats on the heavy hauler

LockDoc 05-04-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake72 (Post 8731870)
I saw the ad for that truck locally here, very well preserved and unique. I'm happy it went to a board member! congrats on the heavy hauler

Not only a board member but a great guy too. I have met Jim and visited with him quite a few times.

LockDoc

JDL 05-06-2020 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8731693)
I've never seen that truck in person, but we built the pump stations that pump water across the Arkansas River to Scranton. I guess I should have looked around more.

We had enough stuff stolen down there to pay for a nice K20.

Davischevy does this key ring look familiar? I googled it and it's something about a pump

JDL 05-06-2020 08:40 PM

Thanks Leon you need to come check this stuff out.

davischevy 05-06-2020 10:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDL (Post 8733763)
Davischevy does this key ring look familiar? I googled it and it's something about a pump

I wasn't familiar with that brand, but with the help of the WWW. I figured out SVEDALA is WEDA pumps now. I think they specialize in sludge pumps. We have used them somewhere but that was a water project we did at Scranton. They have lots of water on the north side of the Arkansas River, and very little on the south side. There is a big Tyson processing plant near Scranton that uses a lot of water so they hung a water line from the Arkansas River bridge and pumped it over.

We have some sludge pumps in the shop now for a sewer lift station. They are Pentair brand sludge pumps. Very expensive stuff. If my memory serves me, The two pumps and the control panel in that crate in the picture are about $125,000.

If that key chain was in the truck, I wonder if it could have something to do with that Tyson plant, because they have a lot of sludge.