The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pic Thread: Police Vehicles (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=806509)

DeadheadNM 05-19-2020 09:48 PM

Re: Pic Thread: Police Vehicles

1 Attachment(s)

special-K 05-19-2020 10:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I love that picture, Pete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsolver72 (Post 8742824)
I’m sorry but, I can’t help thinking why the one trooper in the fifth picture is not standing at parade rest?

I wondered about that, too, and why is he standing with the other officer. He is older. Even looks like he could be the officer's dad kind of. I wondered if he's an administrator. I don't know why that would make a difference

Steeveedee 05-19-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8742713)
Cool stuff! The Mustangs and Camaros are cool, but a specially equipped full-size sedan is just too cool. Notice the badges on the MD cruisers. Here are some "off color MSP cruisers

That one a Sport Fury? Those things were ROCKS. They even took the mufflers off the California HP version to get them over 100 MPH. I had a Camaro that could turn 140 on the highway...in Nevada before the national speed limit of 55. In '76 the CHP would have only caught me with a radio. I did notice that most of them had badges for big engines. The Chevies with the crossed checkered flags had to be fastasssumbeechies- big blocks can turn out some horses. I knew a who guy worked at the grange store in Gooding, Idaho in '75 who had a '67 SS 427 post car with a 4 speed.

Quote:

I’m sorry but, I can’t help thinking why the one trooper in the fifth picture is not standing at parade rest?

Those guys always got us in trouble in Boot Camp, too. :/

Killer Bee 05-19-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

if I was to hazard a guess based on his age, probably the chief

mrtoni 05-19-2020 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I actually found this exact burb for sale on Craigslist but didn’t know what it was until weeks later. I was heading down to rent a trailer but recent divorce led to me bailing on the deal. It was like $1500. Going thru old newspapers I found out they built two. One for the Sierra Nevada range on I80 and one for the grapevine in SoCal. I saw it again for sale for about $4000 a year later. I run wanted ads from time to time

Wobpb377 05-20-2020 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shocked none Of The Dubai Cars showed up yet

Reading fail. Thought it was random cop cars and it’s your
Towns cars.

FleetsidePaul 05-20-2020 04:44 AM

Moto Guzzi.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...bike2_orig.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...eldorado_3.jpg

special-K 05-20-2020 07:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
CHP always experimented more with the bikes. Here in MD for a while I saw some super modern BMWs but haven't seen anything but Harleys since. There used to be a thing about buying American for public service/municipal vehicles. I guess with bikes that can vary.

I found a bunch of pictures of MSP vehicle but I wasn't allowed to save them. There was a picture of a Fury or other mid-60s sedan with dual 2 1/2" pipes run straight out the back hot rod style.

I was riding in the back seat of a rumbling Fury, probably around 71/72. It sounded bad to the bone . When we got to dual hiway I asked, "Let's see what she'll do", just being a smart-a. Well, he did just that! Opened her up wide-a-open! Woo Hoo! I was thinking the whole getting arrested thing was not so bad after all :lol:

It's funny looking at all the trooper cruisers and not seeing the swapped caps. I think it was a thing they "allowed" but didn't really want it displayed in pictures. Image thing, you know. But I did find this one and a Chevy with trim rings

LS short box 05-20-2020 08:56 PM

I was an MP at Ft. Lewis in the late 70's. We had 4 door Volares with 318's. They were soooo slow.

special-K 05-21-2020 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess for on base patrol they didn't spring for the interceptor pkg. I see small towns or even cities with their wimpy cars. That's what I like about the state boys and some counties. They get the hot set-up, special suspension, tires, engine, etc

papawswrench 05-22-2020 04:43 PM

This old Police Car has been on display at Landry's on the Kemah Boardwalk for years.
[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/4773/3...dc63321a_z.jpgKemah Police at Landry's by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr[/IMG]

special-K 05-22-2020 07:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I like seeing the old ones honored like that. I took a picture of a late '30s Chevy State Police car at the Taos, NM station with my kids by it. It's a print

Ol Blue K20 05-22-2020 08:17 PM

I want one of those big block 67's........drool

Steeveedee 05-22-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8744493)
I want one of those big block 67's........drool

No kidding, those things rocked! It would be best if it had a 4-speed. It was mentioned before- those 5.0L Mustangs were mighty fast, too. Those were 5-speed manual. I've seen those in action- they were mighty quick off the line and the top end was crazy.

special-K 05-22-2020 10:30 PM

Those have got to be the hottest '67 cop cars ever. Sport coupes and all! Looks like they have disc brakes

Boog 05-22-2020 10:41 PM

I don't have any pics but I do remember an Ark State Trooper telling me in the 60's he had one of two 2 door 409/4 speed cars in the ASP. A real pursuit vehicle. And as if the car wasn't fast enough he took it to a couple of racers garages to tweak the tune up too.

Steeveedee 05-23-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8744589)
I don't have any pics but I do remember an Ark State Trooper telling me in the 60's he had one of two 2 door 409/4 speed cars in the ASP. A real pursuit vehicle. And as if the car wasn't fast enough he took it to a couple of racers garages to tweak the tune up too.

They would have been plenty fast stock, and a little tune went a long way, even back then. I worked on and off for Chevrolet dealers in the early '70s, and commented to a zone rep about how quick his 'Vette was. Of course, in those days it was a curve kit and some jetting work, but still pretty cool.

FleetsidePaul 05-23-2020 01:45 AM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...0/chevette.jpg

Ha Ha. If you can't out run a Chevette then you deserve to go to jail. :lol:

I had a Chevette (company car) What a total POS. I hated that thing. Cheapskate company. :mad:

This is more like it.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ues-Prison.jpg

special-K 05-23-2020 06:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8744656)

Ha Ha. If you can't out run a Chevette then you deserve to go to jail. :lol:

I had a Chevette (company car) What a total POS. I hated that thing. Cheapskate company. :mad:

Mall detail :lol: Watch the head getting in that thing

Boog 05-23-2020 07:17 AM

Those Buicks remind me of the 50's cop show Highway Patrol. Broderick Crawford was Dan Matthews. Yeah, I remember watching it. ;)

special-K 05-23-2020 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've watched that on YouTube. I saw the episode that had the bad guys in a hot rod. He's running a Buick

:lol:
(no supercharger)

Here's a sleeper for you, I bet

Ol Blue K20 05-23-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8744721)
I've watched that on YouTube. I saw the episode that had the bad guys in a hot rod. He's running a Buick

Highway Patrol 71 in Hot Rod - YouTube
(no supercharger)

I guess those guys didn't know that Motorola is faster than their "hot rod".

Rickysnickers 05-23-2020 10:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple from my collection of work pictures. The SUV was taken while parked on the Torrey Pines golf course. The other, white rhino, is what we were driving when I started out.

Boog 05-23-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8744721)

Highway Patrol 71 in Hot Rod - YouTube
(no supercharger)

FAKE TV!

Sleeper? Cheese it, it's the E POLICE!

1976gmc20 05-23-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8744751)
I guess those guys didn't know that Motorola is faster than their "hot rod".

Now you might outrun my old Chevrolet
but you can't outrun my old two way
Leon's a waitin' at the station to hear from me