The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1971 Cheyenne Super C30 Ex Motorhome (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807351)

CG 06-19-2020 06:19 PM

Re: 1971 Cheyenne Super C30 Ex Motorhome

Went to the DOL today after work to get my plates, tabs, and registration. She asked if it was still a motor home? ... Nope ... Do you have a bed on it? ... Nope ... OK, what you have to do is get your flat bed on there and then we can get you all road legal. Its going to have to be weighed too.

Guess I better get my butt in gear and figure out the final idea for the flatbed.

68bowtie 06-19-2020 06:35 PM

Oh no. It took me seven (yes seven) trips to DMV and CHP to finally get my papers sorted out. And even then I had something not right that I had to sign an affidavit for. Good luck!

CG 06-19-2020 07:13 PM

The truck is titled as a cab and chassis. And the title is already in my name, so I was really surprised she said I still needed to jump through a couple of hoops. Hopefully it wont be seven trips lol!

Ol Blue K20 06-19-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8760527)
The truck is titled as a cab and chassis. And the title is already in my name, so I was really surprised she said I still needed to jump through a couple of hoops. Hopefully it wont be seven trips lol!

Best of luck to ya! The rules suck.....

Chevyland 06-19-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8760492)
Went to the DOL today after work to get my plates, tabs, and registration. She asked if it was still a motor home? ... Nope ... Do you have a bed on it? ... Nope ... OK, what you have to do is get your flat bed on there and then we can get you all road legal. Its going to have to be weighed too.

Guess I better get my butt in gear and figure out the final idea for the flatbed.

This is the hardest part of converting a motorhome to a flatbed these days.
Hopefully it is easier in WA than CA
As 68bowtie said
They have plenty of hoops to make you jump through.
Good luck
Also, I think the chrome simulators you got will add a nice touch
‘Break up the white‘
? Is your flatbed going to be white or black ?
I’ve always thought a white cab with aluminum flatbed and chrome wheels
Would look killer
Problem is the bed costs twice as much as the truck is worth

CG 06-20-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8760672)
This is the hardest part of converting a motorhome to a flatbed these days.
Hopefully it is easier in WA than CA
As 68bowtie said
They have plenty of hoops to make you jump through.
Good luck
Also, I think the chrome simulators you got will add a nice touch
‘Break up the white‘
? Is your flatbed going to be white or black ?
I’ve always thought a white cab with aluminum flatbed and chrome wheels
Would look killer
Problem is the bed costs twice as much as the truck is worth

I really am trying to keep this a lowish budget build. All the metal on the flatbed will be black. The deck will be wood with a dark stain.

CG 06-26-2020 07:09 PM

So far Ive gotten my wheel simulators, the entire grill assembly I purchased from a board member, and four of the seven tires I ordered. I'm on hold right now trying to find out what happened to the rest of my tire order.

The parts I ordered from Rock Auto still haven't arrived.

I have my inner fenders and core support ready to go. Not sure what else Ill need until I remove the nose and do a little detail work.

Edit: Even though I got one tracking number the rest of my tires are coming in two more separate shipments via two different carriers ... UPS and FedEx, so odd. Supposed to be here Monday and Tuesday.

CG 07-24-2020 11:49 AM

Update: I’ve been working on my panel and a couple home projects so this is sitting. I still need to get valve stems, which I’m totally unsure how to figure that out. I have to get a full set of lugnuts and rings because I can’t find the lugnuts I want to use that make it so I don’t have to use a rings I have a line on a couple of different flatbeds, one with a lift function. That’s it for now

Ol Blue K20 07-24-2020 12:06 PM

What are you trying to figure out on the valve stems?

CG 07-24-2020 01:59 PM

Never having owned a dually before dont they need to be curved or something vs plain ol straight ones? I suppose Im probably over thinking.

Ol Blue K20 07-24-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8781081)
Never having owned a dually before dont they need to be curved or something vs plain ol straight ones? I suppose Im probably over thinking.

On my dually, I ran straight and metal stems. No matter what the duals are difficult to check the tire pressure. At one point I ran the flexible hose to the inside duals that made it easier.

68Gold/white 07-24-2020 06:07 PM

All dual one ton stems I've seen all had short straight valve stems. Having a gauge with one of those dual heads, is about the only way to check the air in them...

Sheepdip 07-24-2020 07:31 PM

If you go to a regular truck tire shop they have brass bendable stems about 4" long that they bend and route out so they are accessible just like the outer dual.

CG 07-25-2020 12:42 PM

More very helpful info ... Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I went with metal med length valve stems. Thanks to a couple board members I found the lug nuts I wanted so I don't have to run the rings. Soon as that stuff comes in Ill run them over to my tire guy and get everything mounted up.

I put the truck in my little shop and have started taking out the interior. I think Ill just treat the little bit of rust with some Rust Mort for now. I dont want to get into any metal replacement till I decide if Im really going to like this thing. Being a Super it has the nicer interior, but I really love the rubber mats vs the carpets. So I think Id rather spend my money on one of those instead of new carpets. Looks like we are finally having a run of nice weather so I might go ahead and put the new Super seat cover on the bench. Lets see, what else? Im not sure what the stock mirrors are called, camper mirrors? They pivot in close or you can pivot them out for better rear vision. Anyway I bought a set of those large size rectangular mirrors to try instead. Board member davepl has them on his blue GMC, he had his chromed though. Too much dough for me =)

68Gold/white 08-01-2020 10:27 AM

Sounds like a great plan!!!
If you ever decided to sell it, it would sell, very easily, being a 71 (disc brakes!!!, auto trans, big block, and now modern wheels/tires.

Ol Blue K20 08-01-2020 01:11 PM

I think you'll love it...

CG 08-02-2020 11:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Mounting the wheels and tires got put off till tomorrow. Got my mirrors last week. Shippers did a job on the box and even though the mirror heads we packed really well one got shattered. I’ll take the other mirror out so it can be used as a pattern and run it down to the glass shop and have two brand new mirrors made. Ive had it done before and they turned out great.

Here is a pic of what style I bought and pics of the other style I could use. I have one set with the white metal and two sets of the stainless. But I think I’m going to love the SR’s.

68bowtie 08-02-2020 01:00 PM

Looks like you have good options (maybe too many :lol: ). What is SR?

CG 08-02-2020 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ive seen the new white mirrors I got referred to as West Coast Seniors.

CG 08-03-2020 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New tires and wheels buttoned up today. I like em!

68bowtie 08-03-2020 04:23 PM

What a difference. I think you need some shiny mirrors to match now. :)

Ol Blue K20 08-03-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8786541)
What a difference. I think you need some shiny mirrors to match now. :)

X2, it looks a little naked without mirrors. LOL

CG 08-03-2020 05:27 PM

Mirrors will probably be one of the last things I put on because of the narrowness of my shop I know Ill be bonking in to them all of the time.

Next up is to remove the front sheet metal so I can replace the rusted inner stuff and detail the rest. Im in no hurry though, Im kind of enjoying the process.

I do wish I would have got the tires and wheels on sooner ... It would have been good motivation.

lolife99 08-03-2020 08:57 PM

I’d love to have that cab and front clip.
That thing is clean!
(Actually the whole truck)

Getter-Done 08-03-2020 10:08 PM

I have (missed) (over looked) this Thread.

Now I am in.

:metal: