The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Exhaust Drone Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809947)

LockDoc 09-27-2020 07:48 PM

Re: Exhaust Drone Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmoe (Post 8814586)
LockDoc when you measure the length where exactly are you measuring? You could measure total length of pipe before bending or just top to bottom of the J.
I've got a lot of drone with my shorties and Magnaflow 3 chambers. Truck is going in this week for tailpipes (now just turn downs) and I hope that will reduce or eliminate my drone which is deafening at 18-2000. I keep it in a lower gear and higher revs when I can to avoid it.

I measured mine at the longest point after bending and cutting to fit the existing tail pipe.

LockDoc

Boog 09-27-2020 07:53 PM

Somewhere there is a formula for determining the length and placement of a j pipe.

LockDoc 09-27-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8814649)
Somewhere there is a formula for determining the length and placement of a j pipe.

I posted it in post #8, below the picture.

LockDoc

HO455 09-27-2020 08:48 PM

The bend in the pipe is for packaging purposes. It's hard to find room for a 32 inch pipe at 90 degrees to the rest of the exhaust system.
The length is figured in the formula as a straight pipe. That being said this isn't something has to be dead on exact to work. In fact lots of folks have used the formula to get in the ball park and then made the pipe adjustable to really dial in the cancellation effect.

Sheepdip 09-28-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8785529)
Worse comes to worst, put a pair of Cadillac mufflers on it. Those will give no rumble whatsoever. Ever heard a loud, stock Caddy? A couple to fit a 500 Cu In engine would be sure to give you enough flow! When I go to do mine, that's the route I'm taking.

Many moons ago when I was in high school there was a fellow that had a really pumped up 68 GTO with insane compression and cam overlap.

After getting a ticket for loud exhaust he installed Caddy mufflers. It really took the loud out at the rear exit but it made this unique sound while idling.
My best description is it sounded like you were tapping on a empty gallon paint can with a spoon all the way down the exhaust system and seemed like you could almost hear each cylinder fire individually.

Never heard anything like it since... but those caddy mufflers worked.