The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   68 C10 Lowering dilemma (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=815193)

bnorth 12-04-2020 08:06 PM

Re: 68 C10 Lowering dilemma

That looks like the Russell performance logo and a 1990 build date to me. http://www.russellperformance.com/ They are owned by Edelbrock now but a quick web search reveals they used to produce a few suspension parts back in the 90's.

GMJimmy 12-05-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 8844954)
That looks like the Russell performance logo and a 1990 build date to me. http://www.russellperformance.com/ They are owned by Edelbrock now but a quick web search reveals they used to produce a few suspension parts back in the 90's.

Thanks, I contacted Russell a year ago to see if they could tell me anything about them. The guy on the phone insisted they never made them. I asked him how long he has been with the company,,, he said 10 years. Then I asked him if there was anybody there that was around in the 90's. He laughed and said no. Times they are a changin!

SCOTI 12-05-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMJimmy (Post 8845273)
Thanks, I contacted Russell to see if they could tell me anything about them. The guy on the phone insisted they never made them. I asked him how long he has been with the company,,, he said 10 years. Then I asked him if there was anybody there that was around in the 90's. He laughed and said no. Times they are a changin!

I know they sold spindles under the Russell name years & years ago. But, that was years & years ago so internet searching for some old instructions or tech stuff is probably the best you'll find if you find anything At all.

Greasey Harley 12-05-2020 03:11 PM

http://russellperformance.com/
http://russellperformance.com/images...go-russell.png
I don't think they make spindles any longer.

EDIT:
...I just looked back through this post, I guess I was a little late with that information.:rolleyes:

GMJimmy 12-05-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8845277)
I know they sold spindles under the Russell name years & years ago. But, that was years & years ago so internet searching for some old instructions or tech stuff is probably the best you'll find if you find anything At all.

After several Google searches there was nothing helpful at all.

GMJimmy 12-13-2020 05:18 PM

UPDATE:
Well after watching several videos and tons of research I'm guessing I have 5 or 6 inch drop springs (as lolife99 suggested) in the rear with 2 inch lowering blocks so total drop of 7 or 8 inches. So basically a fraction of an inch from the factory bump stop and about 1-1/2 inches from the tubing hitting the frame. In other words limited travel. I was going to C notch the frame with a CPP kit but if I do it's likely going to cause the rear end housing to hit the bed floor and my over the axle exhaust. With the tubing jacked up touching the frame I have about 1-1/4 inches before the diff hits the bed floor and about an inch before the tubing hits the over axle exhaust. I guess my choices are to C notch it and install bump stops to limit travel or remove the 2 inch lowering blocks and see how it looks. I was also thinking to try leaving things as they are and cut the factory bump stops so I get a little more travel but not hit the frame. I do not want to alter the exhaust or the bed floor to accommodate the extra room I'll have with the c notch. Guys I've been working as a mechanic most of my life so I'm no stranger to all of this but I'm NOT familiar with the drop modifications available and the consequences for doing it. Lack of experience on my part. I removed the rear springs to try and Identify them with no luck. They are free standing at 9-1/2 inches and have a .692" wire diameter. What I DON'T UNDERSTAND is why the front sits as low as it does with ONLY drop spindles and stock springs with new lower control arms. I know they are stock replacements because I installed them. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks
Jim

SCOTI 12-13-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMJimmy (Post 8849324)
UPDATE:
Well after watching several videos and tons of research I'm guessing I have 5 or 6 inch drop springs (as lolife99 suggested) in the rear with 2 inch lowering blocks so total drop of 7 or 8 inches. So basically a fraction of an inch from the factory bump stop and about 1-1/2 inches from the tubing hitting the frame. In other words limited travel. I was going to C notch the frame with a CCP kit but if I do it's likely going to cause the rear end housing to hit the bed floor and my over the axle exhaust. With the tubing jacked up touching the frame I have about 1-1/4 inches before the diff hits the bed floor and about an inch before the tubing hits the over axle exhaust. I guess my choices are to C notch it and install bump stops to limit travel or remove the 2 inch lowering blocks and see how it looks. I was also thinking to try leaving things as they are and cut the factory bump stops so I get a little more travel but not hit the frame. I do not want to alter the exhaust or the bed floor to accommodate the extra room I'll have with the c notch. Guys I've been working as a mechanic most of my life so I'm no stranger to all of this but I'm NOT familiar with the drop modifications available and the consequences for doing it. Lack of experience on my part. I removed the rear springs to try and Identify them with no luck. They are free standing at 9-1/2 inches and have a .692" wire diameter. What I DON'T UNDERSTAND is why the front sits as low as it does with ONLY drop spindles and stock springs with new lower control arms. I know they are stock replacements because I installed them. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks
Jim

You're saying you put the "stock" springs in there & stock a-arms?

GMJimmy 12-13-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8849355)
You're saying you put the "stock" springs in there & stock a-arms?

Yes. The front has stock replacement lower A arms and Moog stock 6082 coil springs. As I said earlier I can't identify the drop spindles.

SCOTI 12-13-2020 10:53 PM

I went back to look @ the pics again.

Your front wheel/tire combo measures @ 26.6". Given the gap above to the fender lip, I'll say 3" spindle drop up front. At 27.7" in the back, probably 3" springs & 2" blocks.

GMJimmy 12-13-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8849493)
I went back to look @ the pics again.

Your front wheel/tire combo measures @ 26.6". Given the gap above to the fender lip, I'll say 3" spindle drop up front. At 27.7" in the back, probably 3" springs & 2" blocks.

Scoti
Thanks for your opinions on this. I guess I'll have to figure out what to do about the rear drop. Not quite enough clearance to leave it but a C notch will create other issues. I may have to live with a bumpy ride?

GMJimmy 12-14-2020 07:02 PM

Another thing that concerns me is the rear shocks. Although they don't bottom out at full compression, they travel well beyond the spring at full extension. If the springs weren't bolted top and bottom they would fall out when the suspension was completely extended. What do guys do in this situation?

SCOTI 12-14-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMJimmy (Post 8849868)
Another thing that concerns me is the rear shocks. Although they don't bottom out at full compression, they travel well beyond the spring at full extension. If the springs weren't bolted top and bottom they would fall out when the suspension was completely extended. What do guys do in this situation?

You need a shock that doesn't bottom out on compression or extension. If it doesn't do that, you're ok. Shock angle can always be improved on the Truck-arm set-ups vs how they came from GM.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451200

GMJimmy 12-14-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8849876)
You need a shock that doesn't bottom out on compression or extension. If it doesn't do that, you're ok. Shock angle can always be improved on the Truck-arm set-ups vs how they came from GM.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451200

Thanks SCOTI

Usually it's the shocks bottoming out that keeps the suspension from fully extending and springs from falling out.

Suspension fully extended sitting on the shocks.

I have shock relocation brackets installed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e5109664_b.jpg

SCOTI 12-14-2020 08:38 PM

The coils should be bolted in top & bottom.

GMJimmy 12-14-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8849922)
The coils should be bolted in top & bottom.

Yeah I know. Just had everything out to measure up for a C notch and wanted to show how much more the shocks travel than the springs.

SCOTI 12-14-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMJimmy (Post 8849934)
Yeah I know. Just had everything out to measure up for a C notch and wanted to show how much more the shocks travel than the springs.

I figured it was something like that. But sometimes 'ya never know so its worth mentioning.

GMJimmy 12-19-2020 12:33 AM

I'm a little concerned about my shocks after I install my C notch. Can anyone help me with a part number for some shocks with a 6 inch drop? Mine will be close to bottoming out with the extra travel.
Thanks!

LS short box 12-19-2020 05:39 PM

I got my shocks from Bell tech. I called them and told what I have (6"rear drop/4" front drop) and they gave me the part number for the front and rear. They offer two types. They told me to buy the less expensive model.

GMJimmy 12-19-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8851950)
I got my shocks from Bell tech. I called them and told what I have (6"rear drop/4" front drop) and they gave me the part number for the front and rear. They offer two types. They told me to buy the less expensive model.

Thank you! Iv'e been trying to find a parts source that doesn't answer AHH What, when I ask about shocks for a dropped C10!