The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Help clarify harness adaptation existing HEI to OE points (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=850589)

DeadheadNM 02-25-2024 11:26 AM

Re: Help clarify harness adaptation existing HEI to OE points

4 Attachment(s)
Quick update. Yesterday I dropped in the OEM, rebuilt points distributor from Advanced Distributors. I think it’s clocked appropriately.

The internally regulated coil diameter is slightly larger than an OE example but fits in the OEM bracket although I had to use a #8 bolt and nut to secure it instead of the larger diameter original screw.

If I get time today I’ll run the new plug wires.

dmjlambert 02-29-2024 12:28 AM

OK, so is it the IC12SB coil that one would use with the resistor and bypass wires?

dmb 02-29-2024 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 9291776)
ok, so is it the ic12sb coil that one would use with the resistor and bypass wires?

ic14sb

dmjlambert 02-29-2024 08:42 PM

Well I think that is the one we just discussed using without resistor wire and without bypass wire.

DeadheadNM 03-03-2024 08:40 PM

Adjusted the timing to 18 btdc and went on a brief drive. Idles smoother than ever and there’s no hesitation. Very pleased at the moment.

Thank you for all the help!

1970cstblazer 03-04-2024 08:55 AM

I had similar results when I switched the Pro Billet MSD distributor out for a correct distributor for my 1972 Cheyenne 402. The truck has a lot more pep and idled smoother.

The few downsides to points are the occasional rubbing block and contact wear. For as little as mine are driven, it will be years before they need a tune up. Using USA made old issue parts does make a difference, and also using the proper distributor cam lube.

DeadheadNM 03-04-2024 09:59 AM

I'm with you. For the amount of driving I'll do this is a good way to go in. In fact, I'm tempted to swap out the HEI in the K20 but that hasn't given me any issues. I will send another points distributor off for a rebuild and keep that on the spare parts shelf. Maybe that'll be a project for next winter. The builder made some advance curve and weight adjustments to this one and remarked that it will will perform better than the "truck distributor" GM supplied.

The USA made plug wires from Lectric Limited are a real nice product and are cut to match a 4wd 350 engine HERE. At least right now, it's not difficult to cobble together (nearly) all US made ignition products. There's a guy here in WI selling reproduced copper terminal caps and black D409-style rotors (rotor is in the above photo) both of which are solid. NOS/NORS examples can still be had too. The Echlin NAPA IC14 coil is made in Mexico and I did install it after returning the PRC-made IC14SB. I wasn't able to source a US coil.