The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   to cut or not to cut (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=625043)

leftybass209 04-23-2014 12:03 AM

Re: to cut or not to cut

You know what I've learned from this board? Opinions are great but following too many opinions leaves you with someone else's truck parked in your garage. There's absolutely no shortage of long beds that will raise or lower the value of these trucks in the foreseeable future. SWB is cool, and LWB is cool, but what's not cool is your hard earned $ in a LWB when what you really wanted was a SWB, or vise versa. Best of luck with your decision!

dajn 04-23-2014 04:40 AM

If you decide to cut up this pickup it's almost guaranteed that you will wake one mourning and stare at yourself in the mirror and say "Lord knows i've done and said a lot of things in my life, but cutting up this pickup takes the cake"

leddzepp 04-23-2014 10:26 AM

Cut it. Leave it. Who gives a rip what anyone else thinks? It's your truck, do whatever YOU want.

If you cut it the only people that will whine about it are people on message boards. In the real world you will get nothing but thumbs up and "Do you want to sell that truck?"

SCHRUMGMC 04-23-2014 10:45 AM

What is it with everyone wanting to cut up Long beds, just my .2 cents leave it the way it was made..You want a SWB? Go buy one

leftybass209 04-23-2014 12:08 PM

Every time I see a comment that says if you want one "just go buy one", I picture them looking like the man on the motorcycle from those insurance commercials with money just shedding off them by the second.

SCHRUMGMC 04-23-2014 12:15 PM

Made me laugh Lefty !!!

powerdriver 1958 04-23-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJones (Post 6629909)
Sorry but I don’t get the whole short box thing. If you want a short bed just buy a short bed if everybody keeps cutting up every long bed they can find eventually there won't be any more out there.
Personally I think short bed 4x4's look stupid. I guess they are ok on a 2wd but I still prefer the long bed either way.

Guess I'm stupid Too .

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajn (Post 6642089)
If you decide to cut up this pickup it's almost guaranteed that you will wake one mourning and stare at yourself in the mirror and say "Lord knows i've done and said a lot of retarded things in my life, but cutting up this pickup takes the cake"

Really , retarded ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 6642364)
What is it with everyone wanting to cut up Long beds, just my .2 cents leave it the way it was made..You want a SWB? Go buy one

I don't really understand the short and long debate . It is however clear that some are not understanding that if the OP buys this truck it is his to do with as he wish's . He did ask weather or not it was a rare truck . The stupid and retarded comments are not wanted here .

slikside 04-23-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 6631749)
Thanks Jim. I appreciate the comment. I really wasn't trying to start anything, and I didn't want to get away from the point of this thread. What it really boils down to is personal opinion and what someone really wants out of their truck. Personally I don't care much for the slammed look, but again that's my opinion. The nice thing about this forum is that there are so many smart people here, with so many good ideas, and they are good hearted and want to help others out. However, the difficult part comes when people ask for opinions on personal taste. What someone likes will certainly not be liked by the next guy. I think each person has the right to do what they want with their own truck, without being chastised by everyone. When you ask for opinions you have to be open minded and expect to hear everything under the sun. ;) Oh by the way… one of my trucks is a LWB. LOL. :lol:

Great post! Spot on.

In most cases, those asking for opinions are usually very happy to hear them, whatever they may be. That's why they are asking.

It's the respondents providing their opinions who sometimes "take issue" with other opinions posted that don't comport with their own, and debate ensues.

But the open debate often helps the OP define and clarify their wishes.

In the end, all is good. As long as it's kept civil. And on this forum, most of the time it is.:metal:

BrianG 04-23-2014 08:09 PM

Chalk me up to the idiot crowd as well then. I have a "stupid" truck as well. Oh, wait, I guess I have two. One original 4x4 Short and one .....wait for it.... stretched blazer frame into a short bed..... oh my... I must be on my way to just plain insane!!!! Funny thing is, no one seems to notice until I mention it. At least I have one short 2wd 72. Maybe not a total idiot.

Oh, I guess all those new trucks must be "stupid" also because way more of them are short beds than long beds these days.

I say find someone who can do it right and cut away. Don't worry about what it might be worth later down the road. Very few people buy classics to try to make any money off of them. We buy and drive them cause that's what we like. I would recommend buying a different box though instead of trying to cut that one down.

unoga 04-24-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litew8 (Post 6641776)
T-72?

exactly ... does "T-72" mean anything to anyone out there (other than "72 truck")?

litew8 04-24-2014 10:42 PM

Soviet/Russian T-72 tank. Maybe the PO was a commander, gunner, loader, or driver .
http://www.militarypictures.info/d/664-3/t-72.jpg

dajn 04-25-2014 03:33 PM

It's very simple. Taking a lwb and converting it into a swb is very difficult and expensive. I'm just trying to help. I say things in a mean way but it's true. 95 out of 100 guys on this forum have no idea what it takes to do the conversion. So just because you did the conversion doesn't mean you should talk other people into doing it.. I bet a lot of kid's started hacking up their pickups because there are just following the lead and realized how bad they messed up. Lastly, i will never understand why you would cut up a lwb when you just go buy a swb. Hopefully the editor doesn't come down on me.

leddzepp 04-25-2014 05:49 PM

Here is a shop that charges $700 to shorten the frame, and $700 to shorten the bed. Pretty reasonable in my opinion.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4404948247.html

veedubshafer 04-25-2014 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like any of these old trucks...mines long an low LOL

dajn 04-25-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6645950)
Here is a shop that charges $700 to shorten the frame, and $700 to shorten the bed. Pretty reasonable in my opinion.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4404948247.html

Waste of my money in my opinion.

leddzepp 04-25-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajn (Post 6646135)
Waste of my money in my opinion.

Yeah well that's YOUR opinion :smoke:

Why do you care so much about what someone does to THEIR truck?

Sacramento70 04-25-2014 09:58 PM

Everyone has an opinion, unfortunately we cant stop people from spreading theirs :lol:

veedubshafer 04-25-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacramento70 (Post 6646285)
Everyone has an opinion, unfortunately we cant stop people from spreading theirs :lol:

Yeah, government wrote that on a piece of paper a long time ago.

powerdriver 1958 04-25-2014 10:27 PM

This thread has run its course . We will have to agree to disagree