The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   78 downlow-littledough (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734279)

cooperhw 04-10-2017 01:44 PM

Re: 78 downlow-littledough

1 Attachment(s)
Now that you guys can see my vision of raising the crossmember coming along, think of this.
I am going to bolt original a-arms back in place with original springs, and original wheels/tires on the front of this truck frame. They will be the exact same distance from the ground as it was before the project started. The crossmember & a-arms will have the exact same amount of clearance that they had when they left the factory. A ton of clearance.
Just the body has dropped.

3drburb 04-13-2017 01:47 AM

I like the bolts and welds on the frame. I will do this to my next project.
I can't wait to see this back on the ground with some body panels.
Do you have your engine for it?

cooperhw 04-13-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3drburb (Post 7914417)
I like the bolts and welds on the frame. I will do this to my next project.
I can't wait to see this back on the ground with some body panels.
Do you have your engine for it?

Right on. I really like to do both just because I am really "not a welder". I can stick metal together, and run a decent bead, but, "that does not make me a welder". That said, I am a builder. So I figure if I can build it and weld it enough so it does not move around, once I bolt the outside plate to the frames, even if every weld failed, it would never break in two.
As to getting the cab and front clip back on that's gonna be a challenge in itself. I need more concrete at my new house so I can roll the cherry picker around. I will figure it out though.
Engine? Yes, I have a brand new (6 years old with about 3 miles on it) built 496 in my drag car project I have decided to pull the plug on. It has the wrong cam in it for the street but I can change that out once it's in and driving.

3drburb 04-13-2017 12:02 PM

Wow! It gets even more interesting, a big block drag car engine.
It makes me wonder if there is any big block bagged body dropped trucks on here.
Maybe with a pancake crossmember?

cooperhw 04-13-2017 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3drburb (Post 7914641)
Wow! It gets even more interesting, a big block drag car engine.
It makes me wonder if there is any big block bagged body dropped trucks on here.
Maybe with a pancake crossmember?

I thought about a pancake but with the frame already lower than the crossmember I now don't see any sense in it. Maybe once the a-arms are back on I will then see the need? Gain.

3drburb 04-13-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7914645)
I thought about a pancake but with the frame already lower than the crossmember I now don't see any sense in it. Maybe once the a-arms are back on I will then see the need? Gain.

I guess you are correct.
I was just thinking out loud, typing, not even thinking about the drop but about getting as much space to lower the engine and trans in the bay as it meets the cab with some fabbed motor mounts for clearance.
I don't think I have ever followed a body drop build. And this is the 1st I have seen like this.
Btw this is good to see it attempted, someone has to think outside the box every now and then, that's why we are driving cars and trucks and not riding horse and carriage.
I checked your suspension post and have to agree with you, if this works it will be sick and if it doesn't then it's only metal and can be reversed or cut a long bed frame and start another direction.

So I am trying to learn and take notes as YOU build.
Keep at it.

cooperhw 04-13-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3drburb (Post 7914730)
I guess you are correct.
I was just thinking out loud, typing, not even thinking about the drop but about getting as much space to lower the engine and trans in the bay as it meets the cab with some fabbed motor mounts for clearance.
I don't think I have ever followed a body drop build. And this is the 1st I have seen like this.
Btw this is good to see it attempted, someone has to think outside the box every now and then, that's why we are driving cars and trucks and not riding horse and carriage.
I checked your suspension post and have to agree with you, if this works it will be sick and if it doesn't then it's only metal and can be reversed or cut a long bed frame and start another direction.

So I am trying to learn and take notes as YOU build.
Keep at it.

Right on.
To my carpenter/builder brain it looks simple and I cannot believe it has not been done like this before. But, it's not done by a long shot. I still believe this is a super easy way to lose 6 inches of distance between the body and the pavement for a really cheap cost. We'll see.:metal:

cooperhw 04-14-2017 12:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got off a half day today for Good Friday.
Came home and got the other plate bolted to the drivers side and the inside boxing plates welded in on both sides. Inch by inch. :metal:

rusty76 04-14-2017 01:08 PM

I assume this will keep the wheels centered in the wheel well. I like your thinking for sure. I added you to my low buck build thread. It a great place to hang out and "research " ideas and builds. Lol. Looking good.

cooperhw 04-14-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7915556)
I assume this will keep the wheels centered in the wheel well. I like your thinking for sure. I added you to my low buck build thread. It a great place to hang out and "research " ideas and builds. Lol. Looking good.

I will check it out. Low buck is my main theme on this truck. I am just finishing a 72 El Camino with an LS & 6 speed. All my play money is tied up there so I have got to watch the budget. As far as the wheels being centered I hope so, should be, but if not I have a cut off wheel & welder that will take care of it. Thinking about dropping the wheel opening to match the rear anyhow.
Wish me luck

cooperhw 04-23-2017 06:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally was able to get back in the garage and get some work done on downlow-littledough.
Trimmed the belly after installing a piece of 2" X 4" tube steel. Moved out back today and was able to get the c-notch installed. Ran out of gas, so clean up on the welds will have to wait for next weekend. Also got the front a-arms cupped for the bags to sit in a little lower. Will have to get some pics of that later on.
Anyhow, a little bit at a time.

cooperhw 04-23-2017 06:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
few more

cooperhw 04-30-2017 08:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well slowly but surely I am gaining ground (I think). I finally got finished slicing and dicing on the frame and am in the process of going back together. I trimmed off the leaf spring hangers and spring perches off the axle tubes.
I got to finally roll the rear end under the frame and sit her down.
It is resting firmly on the bottom of the trimmed frame rail (2" X 3" box tube). I still have about 3 inches under the crossmember, but the lower a-arms and not on yet. Anyhow, the front of the frame the core support sits on has about 1/2" clearance.
So, I know you all like pictures. :metal:

cooperhw 04-30-2017 08:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more,

cooperhw 04-30-2017 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
last but not least,

cooperhw 04-30-2017 08:28 PM

How could I forget.
Bought a new heart and lungs for the old girl. So much for "littledough". :lol:
Having trouble loading pictures of them right now.
It's 2002 LS-1 with a T-56 6 speed manual transmission. Came out of a 2002 Camaro with 78,000 miles.

cochino12 04-30-2017 08:32 PM

Sub'd

cooperhw 04-30-2017 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Transplant to come soon.

hewittca 05-01-2017 09:28 AM

Lookin' good so far. What are your plans for the bed floor?

cooperhw 05-01-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7930586)
Lookin' good so far. What are your plans for the bed floor?

Thanks hewittca. As to the bed floor; IDK. I know so far I will be installing another set of wheel tubs to accommodate more tire. Going over the C-notch will just be a matter of cutting out the area that the notches comes into contact with, and after the bed is mounted back in place I will probably raise the bed floor.
My method of dealing with sheet metal is to just cut it away and then patch it back in where it fits over whatever I stuck in the way. I have no qualms with cutting into sheet metal and welding it back.

SCOTI 05-02-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7930600)
Thanks hewittca. As to the bed floor; IDK. I know so far I will be installing another set of wheel tubs to accommodate more tire. Going over the C-notch will just be a matter of cutting out the area that the notches comes into contact with, and after the bed is mounted back in place I will probably raise the bed floor.
My method of dealing with sheet metal is to just cut it away and then patch it back in where it fits over whatever I stuck in the way. I have no qualms with cutting into sheet metal and welding it back.

Most likely will need to raise the floor just based on driveline angles w/the drivetrain 6" higher vs the cab floor (depending on what does/doesn't get changed further forward).

cooperhw 05-02-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 7931564)
Most likely will need to raise the floor just based on driveline angles w/the drivetrain 6" higher vs the cab floor (depending on what does/doesn't get changed further forward).

Agreed. Little slice and dice here and there. No biggie.
My old friend used to say "No step for a Stepper". :metal:

cooperhw 05-05-2017 10:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I got a little bit of work done. I went downtown and had some U-bolts bent so I could start mocking up my trailing arms and bags. Finally got the front control arms back in place. Was able to set my bags in place and check out ride height. Looks like about 4 to 5 inches will be the norm. Tons of clearance at the front control arms and crossmember.

tinydb84 05-05-2017 10:43 PM

How is the driveshaft going to fit??

cooperhw 05-05-2017 10:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
few more pics

cooperhw 05-05-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 7935358)

Doesn't look like there is going to be any problem. We'll see. :smoke:

cooperhw 05-05-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 7935358)

I am going to have to adjust the pinon angle just a tad though. :lol::lol::lol:

tinydb84 05-05-2017 11:34 PM

Looked a bit tight from the pic. Might be the angle.

rusty76 05-07-2017 05:48 PM

So are using a stock truck arm cross member and truck arms?

cooperhw 05-07-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7936578)
So are using a stock truck arm cross member and truck arms?

Yes. I "cupped" the bottom control arm & have a plate across the stock crossmember.

SCOTI 05-08-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7936631)
Yes. I "cupped" the bottom control arm & have a plate across the stock crossmember.

That's what you did up front. I read the question as what's going on out back.

It looks like an aftermarket POL or CPP T/A x-member & factory GM truck arms for the rear. But, it seems like your placement of the arms on the rear end will require changes @ the x-member.

cooperhw 05-08-2017 12:24 PM

Oh, ok.

Yeah, out back, :waah:
After much (really a lot) deliberation, yesterday I came to the conclusion that the trailing arms off of that 66 were not going to work without major modification (as mentioned) and was just going to looked hacked into place. So, I pulled all of it out and will be installing a triangulated 4 bar set up. I should have done it in the first place, but until I got it into position in my minds eye it would work. Oh well, live and learn. :waah:
:metal:

rusty76 05-08-2017 06:10 PM

It's all good I was just wondering if you were using stock parts or aftermarket.

cooperhw 05-08-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7937534)
It's all good I was just wondering if you were using stock parts or aftermarket.

I was hoping to use the stock trailing arms, but not gonna make it as low as this dude is gonna drop.
Went and picked up some aftermarket triangulating bars tonight. Gotta keep plugging along. Two steps forward and (hopefully) one step back. sometimes:lol:

cooperhw 05-08-2017 09:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, now I am feeling better about my decision to scrap the trailing arms. Frame is at ride height. Rear axle at ride height. Top bag bracket will raise up to top of c-notch.

"I'm feeling it".

cooperhw 05-10-2017 11:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mocking up the trianglulated 4 link. Just barely sitting there but something to look at.

tinydb84 05-10-2017 11:31 PM

Do you plan on welding to the pumpkin?

SCOTI 05-11-2017 12:19 AM

Ditto? Parallel 4-bar & a Panhard bar.

cooperhw 05-11-2017 10:19 AM

No, "I don't plan to weld to the pumpkin". It could be done by a very skilled welder following a strict pattern after heating the entire pumpkin, and slowly cooling it down, etc. but not by me. I was just looking at the option.
I will probably be installing a crossmember and pointing the bars inward to where they intersect (imaginary lines) near the front bumper.
I have not ruled out the parallel bars and panhard yet either. Should have something in place by tomorrow evening.

cooperhw 05-21-2017 10:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Little project progress. Got the chassis together and bolted the cab back in place. Was sitting down on the pinch weld, so we pulled it back off and trimmed it down. Welded it up, and the cab back in place.
Without further ado,