The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   1986 K10 shorty revival (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=548970)

gmachinz 08-27-2013 10:13 PM

Re: 1986 K10 shorty revival

....so, I have the TH350 out and getting rebuilt and I found a pair of G20 van power mirrors so I figured I'd go ahead and start putting the door panels on. Things that had to be taken care of first was a leaking cowl seam, running the power mirror harness which I found varies between the 1991 Suburbans and conversion vans.

Then, I got distracted with another truck I found with factory buckets/console so that got my attention.....lol. anyway, here's an updated pic of the interior as of right now....a few of the trim pieces are from LMC but for the most part, everything is restored OEM interior trim. I think I've also decided to go with silver for paint to go with the dark blue interior. http://m975.photobucket.com/albumvie....html?newest=1
Posted via Mobile Device

gmachinz 09-08-2013 10:14 PM

Here's a few updates: dyed and installed a set of factory GM door panel speaker pods...and. I'm moddign the LH door panel for a power mirror switch from a 91 Suburban...planning on using 1991 conversion van style power mirrors.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5c1357a5.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscd17a304.jpg

8lugnutz 09-08-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmachinz (Post 6260052)
Here's a few updates: dyed and installed a set of factory GM door panel speaker pods...

Man, I'm looking for a set of these! My 1980 K10 has the factory door speakers, I just replaced the speakers this weekend, but don't have any covers. You know of anyone that has a set for sale?

8lugnutz 09-08-2013 10:42 PM

By the way, NICE job on the door panels!

gmachinz 09-08-2013 11:34 PM

Thanks! Yeah-I had the door panel speaker pods listed on Ebay last week-I was on the fence about selling them to begin with and nobody bid on them anyway so I thought ahh...what the heck-might as well use them. I don't want to use kick panel Q-Logic stuff-too aftermarket-ish looking....I like a factory appearance. You might luck out on here tho-there's a couple guys selling parts all the time-you'll hafta keep an eye out for em.

Well, an hour and a half later I have the power mirror switch installed just like GM would have done it....

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa08bdd39.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb8355ce1.jpg

8lugnutz 09-08-2013 11:52 PM

I'm on eBay daily and didn't see them. I wish I would have, they'd be in my truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

gmachinz 09-09-2013 12:21 AM

well, they were kind of a medium blue....originally in a 78-79 Silverado. They weren't dry-rotted but were very close to starting-that particular junkyard was wayyyy the hell out in the country and has about 600-700 73-up pickups, k5's and suburbans as well as duallys, etc. spread over about 80 acres. It literally took me all day to navigate that yard to quickly check out the trucks and few gbodies they have. Out of all those trucks, only 1 had provisions for door panel speakers so it was a cool score. Heck they have several complete 68-69 trucks with nothing missing! I love them country junkyards...if you don't mind getting chased by at least 3 small swarms of wasps, dodging cow-pies everywhere and keepign an ear out for timber rattlers...(I heard there could be some anyway)-then yeah, it's a blast! lol

gmachinz 09-29-2013 08:21 PM

UPS delivered some goodies the other day-this is my trans pan for my TH350 that is being built for my Shorty. I sure hope B&M is still USA made-I try to stay American for performance stuff.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5ee6774a.jpg

Here's a close-up of the van style power mirror on my truck...

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps87c612cb.jpg

Here's my drivers door panel installed-finally! I picked up a rust free GM door and rebuilt the hinges, then hung it. In case you were wondering, yeah I plan to paint the truck in the spring-until then, I just couldn't handle the crappy faded black interior it had before, I had to rectify it.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps61a6c8a8.jpg

rs74 09-29-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmachinz (Post 6291947)

Here's a close-up of the van style power mirror on my truck...

Lookin good! I have those same mirrors on my 84 K30. Just don't have them hooked up.

gmachinz 09-29-2013 10:56 PM

Yeah-I have a set of the 90-91 style mirrors but sold my last pair of power mirror doors so I had these as a backup so I thought what the heck. The van power mirror harness is slightly different with the color coding-I think they have a yellow wire instead of white-and, the plug-ins are slightly different from the K5's and Burbs to the conversion vans.

I also swapped from the pickup map pockets to the Suburban style too-I like the velcro flap. I went to a salvage yard that has about 600-700 squares (that's about 75% of what they have total too....!) and I spent 3 hours walking around before finding a whole slew of Suburbans and only one had a decent enough drivers door fof me to use on my truck. Anyway, I'm going for a stock appearance but updating the interior at the same time....we'll see how she looks in a few days...my new carpet should be here soon along with a new brushed aluminum instrument cluster insert I need to install over the woodgrain.

Bouncing between truck projects is pretty tiring...lol.

rs74 10-02-2013 12:37 AM

Have you ever had to dye the lower door panel carpet to darken it back up if it is faded. If so what is the process and what do you use.

gmachinz 10-02-2013 10:14 PM

I haven't tried dyeing the lower door carpet but I do have an idea on doing it...I just got my new blue carpet but its not the same style as OEM so its gonna look different....not going to like that-need to come up with a solution.
Posted via Mobile Device

gmachinz 10-09-2013 12:13 AM

Here's my carpet installed....

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf43909bd.jpg

Hardest part was finding the console holes through the carpet and 3/8" jute backing I laid down as extra insulation...lol

Next will be the addition of a slightly modified LMC brushed aluminum instrument cluster insert and hopefully mock-ups of the sub box I plan to install behind the bucket seats....that will be fun.

MTCK 10-09-2013 12:42 AM

Interior looks great! Aren't those donor suburbans nice?

gmachinz 10-09-2013 12:51 AM

Lol....the 'Burbs offer a lot of great parts for these trucks. Very little of my interior is new...most of it is either junkyard sourced or used parts from past parts trucks/projects. New parts are limited so far to carpet, jute padding, headliner and door panel insert trim....well and the cluster trim insert.

gmachinz 10-10-2013 10:50 PM

Got the LMC brushed aluminum trim fitted to the Suburban 1.5 DIN cluster bezel-turned out good I think. Also repositioned the GM cd player to sit inside of the radio opening slightly-this allowed for a better fit of the bezel to the dash-otherwise it had a tendency to stick out about 1/4". Now, I just need to swap out the trans and transfer case this weekend and hopefully take her for a spin. Here's a couple pics after the bezel install tonight....

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps517b4dc1.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps62688d27.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps8c4aaf4d.jpg

There's a few other little things to order that I don't have...things like brake/e-brake pedal pads, nicer e-brake cable release handle, inner fender splash guards, etc. stuff like that but she's almost ready for street duty!

rs74 10-30-2013 08:10 PM

Looks great man!. Turned out pretty dang nice.

I think it is the lighting because it looks like sometimes the blue doesn't look as dark as other times. Regardless you have done what I want mine to look like. Nice and clean.

gmachinz 10-30-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks for the compliments! I have a short list of to-do things before driving it....made new trans lines, New flexplate cover, New dual tank harness, etc. So we'll see soon how she turns out. I need the rear driveshaft shortened too.....it'll get there lol.

rs74 10-30-2013 08:54 PM

I am going to try your dish soap/comet concoction tonight on a couple of pieces to see how it does. Then I might do the rest.

gmachinz 11-17-2013 02:07 PM

How'd you do with the comet/dishsoap method? I haven't done much to the Shorty lately...I had to pause to get front and rear drivershafts made. The front required a bigger u-joint and the grease seal was splitting so I figured I'd replace it-then, I sold the rest of the K20 truck I was parting but forgot to pull the rear driveshaft-I needed it because the TC I have requires a 2-joint shaft instead of a 1-piece...oops. So, either way, I went ahead and had my local powertrain shop build a new rear shaft for me. So, updates with pics when I pick up my new shafts!

rs74 11-17-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmachinz (Post 6368686)
How'd you do with the comet/dishsoap method?

I started to try it but then the fuel pump went out on my 03 2500HD. So one truck gets moved out and the 03 get the shop space. Hopefully be able to get fuel pump in tomorrow and get back on the K30. Will let you know.

gmachinz 06-30-2015 08:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well....I lost some photos and have been busy with other stuff....but, I did manage to fool around and start routing my new front lighting harness on my new core support. I put in the headlight buckets, cleared out a wasp nest under my air cleaner inlet duct opening-now I'm sizing up my support to notch it for a newer style AC condenser. You can see the Suburban oil cooler and power steering cooler all mount in the stock location on this pickup support-the factory holes are there....just had to basically bolt them up. I love Suburbans....so many parts to use....

gmachinz 07-20-2015 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been wiring my dads Jag w/V8 conversion....put a few parts on my front end before I end up tripping over them and breaking em. Restoring an OEM grill for it at the moment-then I'll be putting the rest of the front end together-heres a pic of her sitting beside the teardown project garage....

gmachinz 07-25-2015 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I added my new junkyard score grill assembly. Started adding headlights, need to prep a few front end parts for the grill before final assembly. The grill is all OEM and doesn't even need refinishing. I grabbed a few other grills just as nice as this one so I'd have extras. I did manage to find 3 various GMC grills but all were busted in some form or another. I may go back and get them for parts if I can find a decent enough 77-80 grill.

gmachinz 07-27-2015 02:56 PM

Haven't made much progress on my truck this weekend besides the new grill install. In had to junkyard source a clean front/lower valance panel and vertical support for itnsince I couldn't find the couple I thought I had stashed away some place. Now, my wife sprung the drivers door on her 05 Denali and it trashed the fender too. So, insurance is going to pay me enough to do a complete re-paint plus I'll have enough to buy new GM seat covers and misc. interior trim. So, it'll look like a brand new spankin truck in a couple weeks!

gmachinz 07-29-2016 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bring my old thread back from the dead....got more pics to post but today one of my new fuel system parts showed up-l today-woo hoo now I just need to find 1 more to complete my NOS dual fuel tank install. I don't get to work on my own truck as much as I'd like....seems I'm still in the "gathering" stage for it lol

gmachinz 08-02-2016 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UPS man dropped off a couple goodies....LH fleet side gas filler pocket was the last one in the country so I got lucky on these! Main filler hoses are gone tho so I still to find those....may have to order repros....

gmachinz 08-08-2016 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Going with a stealth electric fan install, I opted to use a spade bit to put a 1" hole in the side of the shroud for the grommet protecting the fan lead wires....I'm using an RF24 Motorcraft T-Bird fan mounted inside the stock SB fan shroud.

gmachinz 08-08-2016 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my resistor board mounted on the air inlet scoop. The coils need air movement to keep cool-this will provide me with 3 or 4 fan speeds from the RF24 fan instead of just the two....when used with (2) temp switches-I'm opted to use a BMW dual temp switch (180/195).

gmachinz 08-08-2016 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've decided to go with this relay bracket (GM piece) and will be using Hella relays for the fan control as well as my headlight triggers....

gmachinz 10-08-2017 08:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a little time this afternoon for some work on the project truck after several months of no action lol. A lot of people wanted to know how I mount my door harness sections so I'm posting some pics....here's a few before shots:

gmachinz 10-08-2017 08:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of the relay bank mount, both solid state modules for auto down/up and an overhaul layout of the door harness mostly installed-if it seems like a lot of wires it is-I've added power mirrors to the truck as well.

Greenlee 10-11-2017 09:09 PM

Nice work! :metal: I always enjoy seeing your wiring projects. I still have some window harnesses from you that I need to install in my truck one of these days.

It’s a bummer about Photobucket messing up your pictures on the first few pages. I had a build thread that is completely ruined because of this.

gmachinz 01-30-2018 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Holy crap-well its been awhile since I’ve touched my project but I figured Id add an update-I’ve gathered a lot of parts for it lately and this latest piece is a tach cluster housing from LMC. Yeah I know typically I dont order a lot of stuff from them but since I could not find a good used oem housing I figured this was worth trying for $60. They come molded in light green so of course first order of business was to spray the entire inside high gloss white-this will make the bulbs super bright which is a good thing on these old clusters. Why use stock gauges you ask? Well imo the aftermarket stuff will always look “dated” 5-10 years down the road and I dont want that-classic stock analog gauges are fine with me. Btw, the cluster I’m restoring is an 80/81 which I purchased from a member quite awhile ago but it arrived nearly completely destroyed-seems there wasnt any thought given to proper packaging-just put it loose in a bigger box and it’ll be fine right?

Anyway, this is my weeks project that I hope to find time to finish quick.

gmachinz 03-30-2018 05:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a little time to basically start laying out my new replacement parts from LMC to restore my 80/81 tach cluster. I had a member sell me a cluster with ZERO packing concerns so it arrived destroyed-here is my progress so far on it...

gmachinz 04-09-2018 09:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nothing too major here...I am just about finished restoring this factory 1980/81 tach cluster. Resto tip: for extra brightness from the dash bulbs, thoroughly clean then just clearcoat the backside of the gauge blackout cover! The more reflective the lighting the better the vision overall.

gmachinz 10-24-2018 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my templates for various year RPO sheets finished-here’s my custom one for the Shorty so far:

Greenlee 11-13-2018 09:45 AM

Looking good. :metal: