The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First Post looking for help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339868)

slategrove 04-23-2009 10:49 PM

Re: First Post looking for help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3274923)
you just listed SCE147Z100490 as the original VIN... is that S a typo? It doesn't belong there.

that's what I told the inspector when he told me that was the "correct" vin for the truck (according to the frame) but he insisted that it should have an "s"

Longhorn Man 04-24-2009 05:44 AM

nope. Starting in 72, that digit became filled, chevy got a C, and GMC got a T. But 67 - 71, no, that's not right.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html

seldomseen65 04-24-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3275469)
nope. Starting in 72, that digit became filled, chevy got a C, and GMC got a T. But 67 - 71, no, that's not right.

your right longhorn man ,:metal:, the C would be 4x2 Chevy type truck and the E would be for v-8 gas engine. the s was never in the beginning of the Vin numbers that i remember.:Chevy:

seldomseen65 04-24-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3275469)

also check out leddzepps' thread in section one of this post,,a whole list of good info. :metal::Chevy:

slategrove 04-24-2009 05:32 PM

I'm not debating you you guys, but I'm at the mercy of the inspector and wherever he gets his info...when I talked to him this morning (still no VIN issued from Raleigh) I asked him about the S and where it came from, he said the National Insurance Crime Bureau is who gave him the VIN with an "S" and that was all he could tell me.

Hopefully I'll get a call from him with the NC issued VIN on Monday.

slategrove 04-24-2009 05:35 PM

Here's a cool VIN check site for the National Insurance Crime Bureau...
https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/ni.../vincheck.html

PanelDeland 04-24-2009 05:41 PM

The "s" may be a designator for a reassigned title.It may be there to prove that the truck was retitled.If that's what the inspector does that's probably what you have to go with.It may be the designator for a "salvage" title also.

slategrove 05-10-2009 09:04 AM

No longer my first post, but need more help...

3 Attachment(s)
Good news:

After 3 weeks of paperwork, I did finally get an endimnity bonc from State Farm, so the the state of NC would issue me a VIN, and transfer my title, give me a registration, etc...I am finally legit (atleast in regards to the truck anyway).

Problem:

When I started "GUS" up Wednesday morning, using the hand choke, fired right up as usual, gave him a couple seconds to idle, took the choke off, and isled some more while I lit my cigarette...he was running really poorly, and kept spitting, sputtering and dieing unless I had my foot on the gas. Had to drive with 2 feet to get him the mile to work...

Popped the hood, and he was dumping gasoline out of the bottom of the carb. Went to work, and when I got the chance I came out and the gasoline had evaporated, leaving a dry manifold. Started him up, without the choke, and everything was fine...ran like a dream as usual.

Next morning, choke on, started him up...gasoline dump again...

I need some opinions here as to what may be wrong...tried to get him to do it just now, so I could take pictures, but everything was fine. What gives???

Below are some pics to show you the remnants of his gas leaks.

Thanks in advance,

Attachment 460479

Attachment 460480

Attachment 460481

slategrove 05-10-2009 09:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
While I'm posting pics, here are a couple of GUS's heart...

Attachment 460482

Attachment 460483

seldomseen65 05-10-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slategrove (Post 3302451)
While I'm posting pics, here are a couple of GUS's heart...

Attachment 460482

Attachment 460483

you may have to rebuild the carb ,,,to make it work right,,if it's been awhile since it's been running maybe the gaskets need to be replaced. just my thoughts on this one .

cool results on your registration, keep plugging ,,it'll come around to were you get it all done. :chevy::mm:

slategrove 05-10-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seldomseen65 (Post 3302750)
you may have to rebuild the carb ,,,to make it work right,,if it's been awhile since it's been running maybe the gaskets need to be replaced. just my thoughts on this one .

cool results on your registration, keep plugging ,,it'll come around to were you get it all done. :chevy::mm:

Thanks seldom...I picked up the carb rebuild kit Friday at my local NAPA, will be tackling that soon enough (maybe today)...

just wondering what people may think is causing the problem? Is it possible that with the choke on (making the engine run richer) it could spit gas out through the gaskets, and then not do it when it's running more lean (after choke is off)??? Would like to wrap my head around why it's happening, as well as fixing it.

seldomseen65 05-10-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slategrove (Post 3302758)
Thanks seldom...I picked up the carb rebuild kit Friday at my local NAPA, will be tackling that soon enough (maybe today)...

just wondering what people may think is causing the problem? Is it possible that with the choke on (making the engine run richer) it could spit gas out through the gaskets, and then not do it when it's running more lean (after choke is off)??? Would like to wrap my head around why it's happening, as well as fixing it.

yes,, don't hold the choke closed to long, these ole stove bolts tend to take there time warming up in the morning. give Gus (cool name for your truck) some time to warm up and hold the choke half after start up ,, until it gets some life in the engine.. good thought thou, holding the choke will flood the carb and cause what your experiencing :chevy:

slategrove 05-10-2009 07:50 PM

Thanks seldom for helping me wrap my head around what was going wrong and why is was happening...just rebuilt the carb today, got it all back together, and GUS seems to be very happy...a little timing might make him really happy, I'll see if I can get to that this week.

Thanks,

seldomseen65 05-10-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slategrove (Post 3303141)
Thanks seldom for helping me wrap my head around what was going wrong and why is was happening...just rebuilt the carb today, got it all back together, and GUS seems to be very happy...a little timing might make him really happy, I'll see if I can get to that this week.

Thanks,

glad to have helped with your problem :metal: :chevy::flagw:,,that's why there are a lot of guys that have gone through what your going through and of course we can help when possible. let me know if i can help you any time OK,, got me a digital camera now so I'll be posting some of my pics of my good ole friend "the ghost", it's a 70 Chevy half'er ,been busy with other things I'm going to buckle down and finish it now.. glad to hear that GUS is doing better, keep up with the title thing and you'll getter done soon enough. looks like every thing is coming together,,great,,

seldomseen65 05-10-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slategrove (Post 3303141)

Thanks,

glad to have helped with your problem :metal: :chevy::flagw:,,that's why there are a lot of guys that have gone through what your going through and of course we can help when possible. let me know if i can help you any time OK,, got me a digital camera now so I'll be posting some of my pics of my good ole friend "The Ghost", it's a 70 Chevy half'er ,been busy with other things I'm going to buckle down and finish it now.. glad to hear that GUS is doing better, keep up with the title thing and you'll getter done soon enough. looks like every thing is coming together,,great,,

seldomseen65 05-10-2009 10:15 PM

opps double posted, not cool,sorry

dan42 05-11-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3267004)
CS147Z100490... this makes it a very very early 67, most likely built in the summer of 66. That is possibly the oldest 67 on here... it was the 490th off the assembly line in Freemont. (califorrnia I think?) That is most likely the first week of production.
The problem you may have, is you have no documentation of the VIN tag being swapped out. If they have any issues with it tell them to call kentucky since you say it looks like a state issued plate.
I'm curiouse on how the old VIN plate was unreadable... it was supposed to be 2 plates that had only embossed numbers and letters. Nothing was painted/printed on there.
Either way, if they give you crap, show them the frame rail that you cleaned up, and the fact that the number on the state issued plate and the title all match. I would tripple check it one number/letter at a time and make 100% sure they do. My '70 one ton's frame is one chassis older than the cab. The frame reads 0B160292, while the title has 0B160293. I figure they dropped a cab on the assembly line, or there was a defective cab found, and the numbers were off for a short bit till one end of the line got ahold of the other end of the line and told them to skip a number.

He's got me beat by 400 trucks - mine was the 871st truck made in Freemont, in September of '66. Pretty cool to see the history of trucks.

slategrove 05-12-2009 09:24 AM

The title is all taken care of...finally!!! Thanks for all your words of support and suggestions!

Skirkpat 05-12-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slategrove (Post 3302758)

When gas dumps out the carb ( occasionaly ) Could be two things, stuck float, or a stuck needle. My Chevord does it ( actually pees out the vent tube ,and from the bottom )since it has not moved much in a while. Hit it with a hammer (redneck repair), or do it right and rebuild, make sure to concentrate on the float pivot point.