The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622971)

zaccaglin 04-01-2014 05:31 PM

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

Kevin, I think I'm the one who sold you the dash insert. Of I was in glad to see how well it cleaned up and the nice home it found. As for the truck I think it's perfect for a daily driver. But much on the outside but the right amount of comfort inside and on the drive train to make it worth the journey. Kind of like my colorado. Outside is beat to hell but inside sets a nice new pair of seats from the scrapyard, some new shocks and a good alignment to keep me strait down the road.

longhorn70gmc 04-01-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6606241)
Longhorn, dude... the avatar is killin' me over here. I want that for a shop poster.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hey Bro,
PM send me your email I will attach it and send it to you, so you can post it in the garage!!!!
R/
Billy

MB84C10 04-01-2014 07:10 PM

Love the budget builds!

rusty76 04-01-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6602928)
Thank you Rusty. I need to update the interior pictures a bit more. I had installed that 67 model steering wheel on a whim since the original was sticky and gooey.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...7B4B82BC2E.jpg

And, you're correct, it was way too close and very uncomfortable. I have since replaced it with a four spoke out of an 88-94 style truck. Much more comfortable.

Future plans for this truck are kind of a 70's vibe....

-I have a set of 8 and 6.5 rally wheels for it. I'm feeling it needs wider tires and rallys.
-Possibly chrome steps for the bed. I remember them from the 80's when lots of guys did that.
-C notch the rear frame with a homemade kit. It needs to go lower front and rear.
-Possibly try my hand at air suspension front and rear with a simple setup.
-Fresh roller cam 350 (already have the block standing by). This engine is tired and has some worrisome lifter tick at times.
-Some kind of paint and body to make it look better. Primer, flat paint, Rustoleum roll on, something.
-Smooth the firewall box off and do a Vintage Air setup. The entire HVAC system is a mess.

That new wheel looks really nice in there. It looks so much better. I don't know what it is with steering wheels but they can really make or break an interior for me. I like classic steering wheels but sometimes they work best on the vehicle they were meant for.....I also added this one to the low buck threads the other day. I'd been waiting a long time to see this come to fruitation. Thanks for the updates.

Greenlee 04-01-2014 09:59 PM

When you get to your aftermarket A/C plans, I have a wood grain dash insert with vents that will match your bezel that I'd be willing to donate to your project if you are interested. By the way, an o-ring on each side of the vent is an easy fix for the floppy A/C vents.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...psq8ciqk44.jpg

ChevDog1 04-02-2014 12:55 AM

Kevin, your low buck builds with attention to detail are an inspiration. I hope my truck is as respectable as yours someday.

Stoney 04-02-2014 01:51 PM

I like the dash without A/C vents. Never seen one.

72bowtiestepper 04-02-2014 04:12 PM

Low budget builds like yours are AWESOME....you turned that garbage truck into a nice little stepper without breaking the bank....Way to go Firefighter !!!

legendman 04-03-2014 05:30 PM

Another great thread by TX Firefighter.

Looking great so far. :metal:

Tx Firefighter 04-03-2014 06:46 PM

I sure appreciate the nice words from everyone. The longer I've been here, the more I realize that due to budget constraints, I won't ever have an exceptionally trick truck. I hope to standout by having lots of tech details though.

PEDROSKI 04-03-2014 08:30 PM

New here, but I have read majority of your threads from start to finish.

Zane M 04-05-2014 12:50 AM

Kevin, you should be proud of what you have done with what you have available to you.

Within your budget constraints, you have put together a solid truck. I am sure it feels solid going down the road, and it doesn't puke or dribble fluids when it is parked.

It may not be pretty to most, but it is a very respectable work in progress. You haven't skimped on the important/safety items, while staying within the budget you need to follow.

I'm not trying to sound sappy, but you are an inspiration for the budget minded. I have 2x into my truck that you have into yours just taking care of essentials to keep it running and reliable. But along the way, after following your builds, I have taken the mantra that just because the budget is tight, you don't have to be "ghetto". I don't skimp on important things like brakes, ball joints, etc., but will go for "good enough" on non-essential items utilizing what I can find in the wrecking yard or online sources such as ebay or local classifieds.

Greenlee 04-05-2014 07:58 AM

You guys with your "no oil leaks" policy are making me feel bad about my truck! :lol:

I have this annoying oil leak coming from the oil pressure sending unit. Oil drips down the back of the motor around the starter area. I originally thought I must have a bad rear main seal. But, I checked it when I had the transmission out and the seal was dry and it was coming from the oil pressure sender. I replaced the sender and put the fittings back together with Teflon tape and it still leaks just as bad as before. What sucks is it is at the back of the motor and is very hard to get to. Okay, I'm done ranting in your build thread now. :lol:

Tx Firefighter 04-05-2014 10:12 AM

Fixing a leaking oil pressure seeding unit it a pretty straightforward job. It sounds like you covered the bases when you did it. I'd strongly suspect the back edge of your intake manifold is leaking if you're still getting oil from that area.

Greenlee 04-05-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6613005)
Fixing a leaking oil pressure seeding unit it a pretty straightforward job. It sounds like you covered the bases when you did it. I'd strongly suspect the back edge of your intake manifold is leaking if you're still getting oil from that area.

Good point. I guess I shouldn't assume it's the sender. I crawled under the truck this morning and cleaned everything real well. So, hopefully, I will be able to see where it's coming from.

Average Joe 04-05-2014 08:36 PM

Cool build! Every time I read one of your threads I learn something new or a different approach to doing something. Great work.

rusty76 04-13-2014 12:03 PM

Anything new to add this week? Got to get my fix man....lol. Hope all is well.

Tx Firefighter 04-13-2014 01:32 PM

Nothing new or exciting. I've been using it to haul fencing supplies lately for some improvements around the place.

Right now it's sitting in front of my shop in the rain while I'm inside building the 4x4 engine.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...2bd5c54bd6.jpg

Last winter I dedicated all my time and money to building on my dually, but I think this coming winter the stepside is gonna get a warm spot inside the shop for a rehab with some cash and labor infusion. I've been researching air suspension lately....

rusty76 04-13-2014 02:13 PM

Cool man. I felt the need to check in. I'm interested in seeing what you may come up with for air suspension that would be neat. Keep us updated. Thanks.

Hankster 04-13-2014 09:38 PM

Just found and read this thread! I been wanting some info on this thing! I love it. Keep up the good work man!

chewiebarker 04-13-2014 09:59 PM

Thanks to Rusty for turning me on to this Low Buck Build thread.

It is amazing what someone can do with a little determination and know how! I appreciate your practical approach on this truck and for turning a difficult situation into something to admire. Sounds like your stepson could learn a lot from you - and not just about resourceful, creative fabrication! Good luck to you. Subscribed!

rusty76 04-14-2014 04:48 PM

You are welcome!

jhama78 04-18-2014 11:18 AM

Gotta love a 'phoenix' style build. I'm digging the 'out of the ashes' budget build ya did on this rig man. :metal:

Tx Firefighter 04-18-2014 11:38 AM

Wait till y'all see the 4 wheel drive I'm building now. It was ready for the junkyard. Trashed interior, beat up body and dead engine. Phoenix indeed.

tommyd241 04-18-2014 12:22 PM

You always have the coolest, most resourceful builds!

Malo83 04-18-2014 12:42 PM

Cool build Kevin! like your style :metal:

crashz 04-18-2014 03:53 PM

I'm inspired every time I see your build threads. Great job restoring that turd to a nice driver!

Tx Firefighter 04-18-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashz (Post 6635115)
I'm inspired every time I see your build threads. Great job restoring that turd to a crappy driver!

Thank you for the words. But, I fixed them for you.

K5owner 04-18-2014 04:48 PM

Awesome build considering the circumstances. I hope your step son is running his tail off and gets his kicked in by his DI and C.O once he gets to his MOS. We had a guy who didn't live up to his word like that in our unit and the nightly tune ups wore him out to the point he want AWOL. Couldn't of happened to a more deserving jerk.

Jake Wade 04-19-2014 08:11 AM

Nice build! One of the few you could actually get more $ for than you put into it.

powell72 04-19-2014 12:06 PM

Kevin, I really enjoy your build threads. Cheap, dependable, cheap, detail oriented, and cheap. You always add a really simple style that just works too. Nice job.

Randy S. Hager 04-23-2014 09:12 PM

Kevin you sir are an inspiration to me since I have so much work I need done to my 82 SWB. I have my 35mpg Saturn to drive so I should have no excuses to get to work. After I get back from overseas I'll jump in with both feet and chip away at it until I'm done. GREAT WORK!

Randy S. Hager
Venus, TX

Tx Firefighter 04-23-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy S. Hager (Post 6643252)
Kevin you sir are an inspiration to me since I have so much work I need done to my 82 SWB. I have my 35mpg Saturn to drive so I should have no excuses to get to work. After I get back from overseas I'll jump in with both feet and chip away at it until I'm done. GREAT WORK!

Randy S. Hager
Venus, TX

Randy. Thank you. Your post means a lot to me. You've been a member here for four years and finally made your first post in my thread. Lurk no more !

No real updates on the truck right now. I'm researching wheel, tires, and suspension mods. It needs some modern rolling stock and lower ride height. Looking at 18/20 combos right now. I think this winter will be stepside time. I like to do one major project per winter. Last year was my dually.

My view yesterday as I was mowing around my shop.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...c12e2240ca.jpg

Randy S. Hager 04-23-2014 09:42 PM

Almost wanted to yank the fleet side off and go find a stepper. Since I've met you face to face several months ago I've kept track of your dually build and then saw this build. I'm going to keep mine an inline 6 (250) but want to do dual TBI. (1bbl units) Gota do some trading and get some more parts acquired after I get back from Italy. Get to have some totally tax free money to get me going in the right direction.

Sodell 04-23-2014 10:36 PM

Tex, I have learned a lot from your builds and you always seem to take the time and give good advice. I am an older guy and came to this sight looking for advice to drop my truck (never thought I would say the word "drop") and you were one of the guys to immediately give me helpful advice..keep up the good work! I am glad you decided not to sell your stepper, keep at it in spite of your stepson.

Low Elco 04-24-2014 08:08 AM

4 wheel drive thread! 4 wheel drive thread! 4 wheel drive thread!

I like your view!

83GMCK2500 04-24-2014 11:37 AM

Nice view, I have to admit, I appreciate that view enough that if I were mowing I would probably leave strips in the grass.

A couple pics up I just noticed the hydrant in front of your DD, is it a lawn ornament or functional? I was starting to visualize it with the Ayers Garage Powder Coating treatment... ;)

Tx Firefighter 04-24-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6643751)
4 wheel drive thread! 4 wheel drive thread! 4 wheel drive thread!

I like your view!

I'm still gathering up to start the 4wd thread. Not sure where it would be best put, the 88-98 Projects section or the 4x4 Projects section. Neither one gets much traffic. There won't be much 4x4 bad assery involved other than basic restoration type of stuff mainly. I figured it would bore that crowd over there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 (Post 6644033)
Nice view, I have to admit, I appreciate that view enough that if I were mowing I would probably leave strips in the grass.

A couple pics up I just noticed the hydrant in front of your DD, is it a lawn ornament or functional? I was starting to visualize it with the Ayers Garage Powder Coating treatment... ;)

The hydrant is just an ornament outside my shop door. I need to get on restoring it. Seems like I never have enough time for it all.

Stickman 04-24-2014 12:38 PM

Always enjoy your posts. They are always resourceful and informative.

rusty76 04-26-2014 05:10 PM

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/p...ctureid=205380

I think you should build your truck sort of like this but on airbags.....hehehehe. And give it that '70s vibe with Cragar SS and whitewalls. That would look neat. This is the way I hope to go with my old beast. I want a sort of '70s retro kind of thing, but not all velvet and stuff though.