The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Lks Dcvn: 70 2wd GMC Jimmy Conversion Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=782925)

Heydanl 06-02-2020 11:47 PM

Re: Lks Dcvn: 70 2wd GMC Jimmy Conversion Project

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there, I was just looking through your thread and think I might have an answer for the poor fitment at the top of your passenger door. I have a 72 Blazer I'm in the process of rebuilding and I bought a 67 C10 for parts. The C10s doors were much better than the Blazer's so I cut them down, thinking all C10/Blazer doors were the same. Well, they're not. When I put them on I had the same mismatch between the top of the door and the quarter that you do. If it appears that your door is the original, then you have a factory mismatch. Maybe that was the year of the changeover between profiles and some assembly line worker just thought "ah, what the hell" and stuck it on. Or maybe your truck got hit at some point and that was the replacement door that was installed. Anyways, in the photo, the orange door is from the 67 C10, the other is my factory Blazer door. You can see the difference in contour at the top of the door. (Not sure why the picture loaded sideways)

lks dcvn 06-03-2020 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
right side up pic - I'll have to take a look and see. Good catch!

DeadheadNM 06-03-2020 12:42 PM

Good info. It may be that 67 doors are unique - the 67 beds are unique and slightly different and the door handles are unique. It would be worth comparing the contours of K5 doors vs pickup doors for 69-72. Somewhere there is GM literature posted that details how to cut down pickup doors for a K5 for I suspect for these model years the contours are similar.

lks dcvn 08-30-2020 07:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Drove over to see a fellow Blazer enthusiast today and picked up a door reinforcement screw that I was missing. Yet another part of the puzzle completed.

Thanks again rayray767!

I've been looking for a 'period correct' radio for the Jimmy and found an old Audiovox C-977 AM/FM/8 Track that was still in the original box with everything but a few bit of install hardware - hex nuts, etc. Original paper instructions and product registration card were included as well. I'm going to call them (now Voxx Electronics) to see if they can share what parts I am missing for my install and see if I can still register it. A few others on the forum have this style radio and they look right at home in the dash of these old truck IMHO.

lks dcvn 09-20-2020 07:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Found the same model radio on FB marketplace with the hardware I needed so I scooped that up and found out it works after testing with a make-shift speaker set up.

I installed a new telescopic antenna and ordered a replacement under dash speaker to have in the truck.

I also crossed a few more items off my list:
  • removed the seat belts and gave them a proper cleaning - they are blue (faded) again (although I didn't get any after pix) - may need to update these when I get the carpet, console and bucket seats installed
  • fixed the squeak noise in the heater controls (metal on metal noise)
  • while I was in there, I removed all the heater cables, lubed them and fixed the bent wires/levers for easier operation (way better now)
  • installed a better set of interior color-matched door handles I picked up on the forum over a year ago
  • modified and installed a NP205 shift boot and ring for my Muncie M22 by using a Hurst adapter to prevent the boot from tearing

DeadheadNM 09-21-2020 07:48 PM

Nice work!

lks dcvn 09-25-2020 04:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally have some tunes in the Jimmy.

Ordered a 4x10 replacement speaker and used the factory brackets to install it under the dash (this is a 1970 model so it goes above the gas pedal (not under the heater controls).

The radio sounds pretty good even though it channels both R/L into one speaker with two tweeters. No real bass though with this setup. Oh well - it's nice to have something to listen to now.

Also got the heater air tubes installed to the defrost vents - another reason why I can see why they changed the speaker set up in later years - what a pain to install with all that stuff.

Ordered a a pair of rear splash shields and a lighter element with wiring.

I'm wondering if I should order/replace the fan high speed relay now before I get the glovebox in there...I don't know how old this one is.

lolife99 09-26-2020 06:25 AM

Great progress!
Love this build.

lks dcvn 09-29-2020 11:00 AM

Thanks - always stuff to tweak here and there.

aotte1 09-30-2020 09:49 PM

Thanks for sharing your build on all your progress, what you are doing.
Watching.

Les

1956cameo 10-27-2020 12:36 PM

Wow! Just saw this build thread. Great job! It's going to be one sick looking Jimmy!!

lks dcvn 09-12-2021 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Almost a year since my last post - still been working on it though.

My old list
  • route the heater vents to the dash outlets - Done
  • install new glovebox insert - Done
  • get driver side courtesy light door pin functional (passenger side works) - replaced both - work great now - Done
  • install rebuilt hatch latches (thanks 1rippen6) - Done
  • locate light blue escutcheons to replace broken ones in doors - bought NOS and then painted them with 1970 Corvette 'Bright Blue' Interior Paint - Done
  • locate shift boot and surround that can accommodate the Hurst shifter - Done
  • install/update inner door felts/seals - Done
  • paint door mirror heads white - Done
  • install OEM AM radio - swapped in 8-track AM/FM that is period correct - Done
  • NEW - heater control update with complete disassembly, cleaning and then lubricating all moving parts to remedy sticking levers (works great now!) - Done
  • NEW - create/install plates to move driver seat back - Done
  • NEW - install blue ACC interior carpet. It hasn't had any carpet in it since I bought it a few years ago - Done (waiting for carpet to settle a bit more) It is a LOT of blue to look at, but may go to dark blue vinyl down the road, but for now - I'll keep driving it

Pending Items-
  • refinish the sill plates, carpet trim and install those now that carpet is in - pending
  • finalize center console install (moving it back to accommodate the Muncie 4 speed)
  • I am seeking a full set of driver quality Blazer trim (fenders, doors, bedsides, tailgate and tail lights (non-woodgrain if possible). The body holes are still there - would love to return to stock look on exterior.

low'n slow 09-13-2021 08:22 PM

looks good.

lks dcvn 09-14-2021 01:58 PM

^ Thank you - I have been driving it as much as I can when the weather cooperates (no rain). Hard to believe these trucks are 50+ years old now.

Dieselwrencher 12-10-2021 07:27 AM

Very nice build! You have a really nice job on it. I bet it is really fun to drive with the M22 in it!

FRENCHBLUE72 10-04-2022 10:21 AM

Any progress?

lks dcvn 11-19-2022 10:29 AM

Not much progress on this one - drive it 2-3 times a week just to keep things fresh. Although with snow coming - it won't be driven until spring now.

I still have a working list of stuff to do - it's all minor stuff now though:
  • fix/replace rear metal splash pans (not sure I really want/need to do this - it never sees rain)
  • install the rear seat
  • install the center console
  • cut hole in carpet for headlight dimmer
  • install sill plates
  • install cargo floor carpet trim front/back
  • install side trim (have a driver quality set now - just need to install)
  • install wiper arms/blades

low'n slow 11-19-2022 12:33 PM

I am glad that you are enjoying the Jimmy and getting some use out of it.