The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Front suspension and steering questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816754)

Asshat 01-20-2021 06:29 PM

Re: Front suspension and steering questions

3 Attachment(s)
I looked in the manual and it shows a notch should be aligned with the end of the spring. Not sure if the end of the spring should be facing in or out? Anyone have an idea?

On the passenger side, the spring was not removed, so it seems the driver side spring was incorrectly installed.

Has anyone installed these before? Can you confirm the notch is on the spring retainer?

SCOTI 01-20-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8867191)
I looked in the manual and it shows a notch should be aligned with the end of the spring. Not sure if the end of the spring should be facing in or out? Anyone have an idea?

On the passenger side, the spring was not removed, so it seems the driver side spring was incorrectly installed.

Has anyone installed these before? Can you confirm the notch is on the spring retainer?

It doesn't matter.

Just clock the springs the same on each side & install the retainers similarly @ each side.

Asshat 01-22-2021 10:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed stock height, new coil springs in the back and got a new track arm (pan hard bar). I think it sits more level than before. Rides a lot better too. Next step is to replace the front springs and ball joints.

Also going to list some 2” drop springs; these did not work out for me. Couldn’t get the wheels mounted, tires a bit too wide.

cwcarpenter98 01-23-2021 12:23 AM

How's your cab and core support mounts lookin? If they are blown out, that could also make it look like it's leaning

bigmoe 01-23-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8868243)
Also going to list some 2” drop springs; these did not work out for me. Couldn’t get the wheels mounted, tires a bit too wide.

I have a similar problem (made even worse because the short box has a smaller wheel opening). Solved it by jacking the truck up by the frame so the suspension is in full droop. That gives room to remove/replace the tire.

Asshat 07-28-2021 10:54 PM

Well, the truck is still leaning to the driver side. Measured at the rear bumper it is 1-1/2" lower on the driver side. I may need to jack it up at the frame and loosen the springs and see if I can rotate them to get it to sit evenly.
Maybe that will work.

The Rocknrod 07-29-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8868274)
How's your cab and core support mounts lookin? If they are blown out, that could also make it look like it's leaning

Looking at the a-arm space when seeing the front of the truck, that's what I'd look at also.