The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348244)

OKGMC4 03-15-2012 06:49 PM

Re: 52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build

I'm no help then...my 08 Ram is bright yellow and my 56 gmc is bright orange. Maybe you could lie about the color and tell them the orange is really a dark yellow, the way pontiac lied and told everyone my " hugger orange" was really " carousel red".

PRWFAB 03-26-2012 11:18 PM

Hey Beep got a question for you since you got so much experience in the burbs. and panels. How do you hide the wires going in to the doors for the power windows,mirrors. with out putting them were they would get cut off or torn. Till the March wind stops blowing I dont think I'll be Mig welding my frame mounts outside. So I thought I would start running some of my wiring. Thanks

BBEEP 03-27-2012 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
PRWFAB;

I guess some would call me a cheapskate, I think I'm frugal!
I used a 1/2 inch by 6 inch extension spring like the one pictured on the right. The hooks I used to connect them inside the door or inside the kickpanel. I cut the hook off the other side, since it is the end that has 'movement'. Then I insulated the wires and ran them through it. If you only connect one side, the other will slide easily through a plastic grommet when you open the door. (no noise)
You can buy them in lots of colors, diameters, tensions, and lengths at the hardware store. Cost a couple bucks.

OrrieG 03-27-2012 01:41 PM

not to cross post but kustombrad has a pictorial how to on his thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=360

great minds think a like!!

PRWFAB 03-27-2012 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys Big help. Beep I don't think of that as being a cheapskate I was raised a farmboy and our way of thinking why buy something if you can make it. I have keep that thought with me all my life. Thanks for the extra info OrrieG I always say a picture is worth a thousand words. Thats why I read this forum daily. We got a great bunch of guys here Have a good day!!!!

kst8engineer 05-28-2012 12:16 AM

BBeep, great job on the build! Can you explain the front fender situation a little more? What was it about the widened 'Burb fenders that made you not want to proceed with that option (as shown in the first photo below)? Also, I don't quite understand what's going on in the bottom photo. The 2-ton fenders are wider, right? In the photo, it looks like the width of the 'Burb fenders and the 2-ton fenders appear to line up with each other, so I'm not understanding what happened to the difference in width.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1269973806

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBEEP (Post 3904589)
What this did was give me a different shaped opening. The front opening of the 2-ton was too far forward, as well as the fender being 3.5 inches longer. Attaching the front of the Burb fender cured both things. The 2-ton also sits about two inches higher, which gives the hood a pancaked look. Still have to shorten the hood the 3.5 inches.
I will raise the running board to be flush with the body and shorten the rear hang of the front fender and the front hang of the rear fender. (say that 3 times real fast!)http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1270587633

BBEEP 06-07-2012 04:56 PM

The bigger fenders are wider, longer, taller. They acually sit higher where they meet the back of the hood. The wheel opening fit the Envoy wheel better. Doing it the way we originally tried, we would have had to change the opening as well--or raise the front of the truck to clear. The 52 Burb built by GM was done that way. When I showed them the pics of how we did it, the said they wished they had thought of that. Their TBSS frame had to be lengthened to fit the Burb. Mine didn't.
If I was to do this again, (and probably will) I would get a 2wd and just put a TCI or some similar complete aftermarket rack & pinion set up in it. It probably would cost about the same.
They are 1 1/2 ton fenders. There was enough of the 1/2 ton fenders to simply 'make' them fit with a little cutting, stretching, etc. The big fenders were 4ish inches longer, in the opening. Wouldn't be close to right . . .

shifty1125 08-04-2012 01:14 AM

Great build! Wish I had that kind of metal skill
im more of a engine and electrical person. Anyway im dealing my 48 3/4 ton truck to either a 87 3/4 ton frame or just the front suspension over to the 48 frame. What do you think would be best and easiest. Also my track width will have the same issue as you did with yours. So I probably need to go find a set of 2 ton fenders and mold the back half of them to the front half of my current fenders? Or could I just do a complete 2 ton front end?

50-MO 08-04-2012 07:35 AM

Shifty- have fun with that one! I had mine sitting on late 70's 3/4 ton when I bought mine, the stock fenders were may to narrow for my liking.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...0/IMG_1230.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

shifty1125 08-04-2012 11:14 AM

I think that truck looks awesome sitting like that. And some wheels that have some offset can bring the wheel back in. What did you end up doing since you didn't like it? I really like the height the your truck so i dont know if just swapping the ifs is what i want. Maybe moving the body over is a better idea. Just dont know how hard it is to get the cab and everything up front to mount right.

50-MO 08-04-2012 01:12 PM

We were not looking for a 4x4 when we bought this truck, just a decent body and clean title. Wifey likes street rods and she is the banker on these projects. We have parted out, traded and sold the majority of original chassis and drivetrain and recouped 100% $ of what we paid for it.

Here is how she sits today on the back burner.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...d/fbc8ee29.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

shifty1125 08-04-2012 01:26 PM

Oh wow that's a big change. big wish I knew bout all that I would of bought the whole chassis from you. Looks good. I liked the other style better tho.

suedespade 09-22-2012 11:22 PM

Any updates on the Burb!?!

soupernova 12-04-2012 02:11 AM

yes any updates .

BBEEP 01-23-2013 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
FINALLY SOME UPDATES!!
My bodyman turned 75 and is slowing down a bit. ;) He is finishing 3 cars and mine is one of them.
The Burb is now in PRIMER!! By the end of January it should have the firewall and the engine bay painted.
From there I will pull it from the bodyshop, glass the dash, connect the dots on the wiring, do the upholstery, custom build a receiver hitch, etc

xpickup 01-25-2013 09:08 AM

BBEEP, Good to see your thread come up again. It has been a while. That is good if he is 75 and still at it. It is going to be a great truck when it is done. I love all the modifications you have done. Lookin good.

Shannon

BBEEP 01-27-2013 08:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some color on the firewall and engine bay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1985-GMC 01-27-2013 10:04 PM

Sweet!

NEWFISHER 01-27-2013 11:16 PM

Looking good John! Is that Fred H?

fredscarryall 01-28-2013 01:51 AM

the top and the 3rd door look awesome

BBEEP 01-28-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5848986)
Looking good John! Is that Fred H?

Nope, Les S.

BBEEP 01-28-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredscarryall (Post 5850249)
the top and the 3rd door look awesome

Thanks, Fred. Very few that see it in person notice either. It surprises me that I like that!

OrrieG 01-28-2013 06:53 PM

Is the pewter on the heat box going to be the exterior color??? I will be that way for sure in August, probably later in the spring too, would like to catch up.

BBEEP 01-28-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 5851619)
Is the pewter on the heat box going to be the exterior color??? I will be that way for sure in August, probably later in the spring too, would like to catch up.

Yes, OrrieG, the bottom half. The top half will be black. Considered all black, but nah. The interior will be a combo as well.
I look forward to seeing you!

skymangs 01-29-2013 09:47 AM

Looking great! x2 on the 3rd door and the roof. Very slick, and hardly noticable!