The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

Econman 04-02-2014 09:13 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Pics????

veedubshafer 04-02-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econman (Post 6608868)
Pics????

Me?

Econman 04-02-2014 09:43 PM

Yes, your truck you drove for the first time...

Econman 04-02-2014 09:49 PM

I partially disassembled my stock distributor and thoroughly cleaned every individual piece. Tossed the points and condenser in the trash. Going with the Crane XR-i points conversion kit.

colgad 04-02-2014 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the truck outside into the sunshine to work on it in the light for once. Hopefully tomorrow the driver fender install.

veedubshafer 04-02-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econman (Post 6608931)
Yes, your truck you drove for the first time...

No it's nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe someday I'll post some.

Bennett68C10 04-02-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6609008)
Pulled the truck outside into the sunshine to work on it in the light for once. Hopefully tomorrow the driver fender install.

Wow nice looking truck, do you have a build thread for it?

texjake 04-05-2014 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the dash pad mounted, the center speaker installed, the stereo installed, the center A/C vent painted and installed (the chrome paint had flaked off so I repainted it black to go with my theme) & got the ash tray put back in. Finally making progress, slow & steady wins the race right?...so I have heard. Just takes more time going back in with after market items. They don't fit like the original stuff did. My dash pad seems more rubbery & is about a 1/4" short on both ends and the bracket for the dash speaker sure does not fit like I wanted it to, had to bend it to make it fit which took half an afternoon to get it to fit just right.

magwakeenercew2jh 04-05-2014 01:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6612703)
[SIZE="3"]I got the dash pad mounted, the center speaker installed, the stereo installed, the center A/C vent painted and installed (the chrome paint had flaked off so I repainted it black to go with my theme) & got the ash tray put back in......

Looks really good. One day, I'm going for one of those radios. To keep the stock look, I sliced off almost everything behind the
"face" of the radio. Not so good for tunes. But I was back given about a bazillion bucks worth of electronics that I put in a home
made box/console under the dash.

Not the best set up, given that it turns out that I generally don't care much about Bluetooth/GPS/XM/DVD/FM/CD library/hands
free cell phone/AM-FM while driving the truck.

But a nice gesture by a friend. And so, in she went... into my sort-of cobby, home made box!

All that stuff running through fifty whole bucks worth of speakers.....

:lol::lol::lol:

texjake 04-05-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6612728)
Looks really good. One day, I'm going for one of those radios. To keep the stock look, I sliced off almost everything behind the
"face" of the radio. Not so good for tunes. But I was back given about a bazillion bucks worth of electronics that I put in a home
made box/console under the dash.

Not the best set up, given that it turns out that I generally don't care much about Bluetooth/GPS/XM/DVD/FM/CD library/hands
free cell phone/AM-FM while driving the truck.

But a nice gesture by a friend. And so, in she went... into my sort-of cobby, home made box!

All that stuff running through fifty whole bucks worth of speakers.....

:lol::lol::lol:

I like the center box. Looks clean. I went with the Custom Autosound USA-230 because my old radio was AM only & I wanted something with FM too. Plus it has the AUX jack to plug in my iPhone. And because it seems that everything in & behind the dash was either broken or deteriorated. So almost everything got replaced or refurbished in & behind the dash.

Ridgeclimber 04-05-2014 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finish the final sanding on the exterior of the cab and door jams. I then put the self levelling seem sealer on the front drip rail.

Willys47 04-06-2014 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
did a test fit the of box

66pnl 04-06-2014 02:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
All I wanted to do was seal up a couple of water leaks, but of course I couldn't stop there.

66pnl 04-06-2014 02:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dug out a lot of junk from the cowl/kick panel vents. Sand blasted and epoxy/high build primed the cowl panel and new antenna.

ironbutter 04-06-2014 06:58 PM

Had a couple buddies over to pull the front clip... New 383 and Trans swap on deck... :metal:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...psf9a8876d.jpg

Motoxrrar 04-06-2014 07:08 PM

Sweet ! Nice gmc love them

71Dually 04-07-2014 06:18 AM

A couple days ago I dragged home an Eaton HO72 with a 14BFF brake conversion upgrade from the local pick your part. I had to drag it home cause with those huge drums it was real heavy and I couldn't carry it all by myself. The brake conversion was done right there in the junk yard and I snagged the complete axle as seen below for just under a whopping $131.56.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...pse7c8d106.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...psce7fb17d.jpg

The brakes were pulled from a 1982 Step Van with the JB8 brake option and are 13" x 3.5" verses the Eaton's original 13" x 2.5" setup. This larger rear brake system also has larger wheel cylinder bores for additional stopping power.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...psdac68fd1.jpg

The rear end has 4.56 open gears and the 14 bolt drums are beyond tolerance but I know they fit and I was planning on purchasing new drums for the final install on my truck anyway.

The quest for the 14BFF brake swap started while fixing a leaky axle hub seal in early January and discovering the unobtainable original Eaton drums on the truck were out of round and beyond tolerance.

I went to what I call "The Mens Mall" to window shop and browse for parts to complete an HEI upgrade and this Eaton jumped out at me from under a 1970 C30. It jumped out so hard it darn near knocked me over. Needless to say, now I want to put the rest of the JB8 option on my 71 C30 with the larger front rotors, bigger piston calipers and the hydra boost system to boot. This big brake upgrade was never a thought in my original plans for the truck but it just seems like one thing leads to another.

But this axle and the brake upgrade is a desirable another and this little deal just wouldn't stop screaming "Daddy, take me home, now!!! I don't want to get crushed and made into a Kia Sorento or a poor fitting imported reproduction part!!!".:bann:

I forked over the required adoption papers without hesitation. In all the excitement I forgot all about ignition parts. But tomorrow is another day.

Oh and what I did today was get the lights all vehicle code approved after completing the fabrication of an ICC bumper.

This is what I ended up with today:
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8cd3a18c.jpg

The above photo was a continuation from this late January configuration:
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...psf09fed5a.jpg

That all began like this with a temporary light bar to retain at least a minimal bit of the required rear lighting:
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...psae6fbc2e.jpg

The temporary light bar photo was taken on December 17th 2013 and I picked up the stake bed on January 12th. It's been a little bit of progress at a time but I figure slow progress is better than no progress. Of course life's big and small projects oftentimes get in the way but I keep getting back to the big girl and giving her the attentions I feel she deserves.

Now if that big hole in the cab would just go away I can start looking harder for the stainless rear window trim and proper rubber seal.

In The Ten Ring 04-07-2014 10:24 AM

It's too cold to work in my garage this time of year still so I have been making plans. Lots of detailed plans and the plans are ambitious! The next warm day, I plan to seal out last year's attic birds, clean yp their mess, and begin attic flooring preparations. I need to build a set of heavy duty sawhorse that I can disassemble for storage. I think I can slip in the new fuel lines and then the renewed gas tank and seat. That will clear up significant space. I then need to rent a storage container to make room for the garage rewire and new shelving build idea. Then I can get on with the new radiator core support install and all the other things that remain. Space is at such a premium right now, no more really hard work can continue. I'll post pics as I go. I did buy some parts the other day that were in much worse shape than I expected and those must be returned. Naturally the seller blamed me for "not asking." Typical....I am considering outing the felllow so that others may be forewarned for dealing with him and then avoiding getting blamed for the lack of forethcoming as to part condition. Geeze!

74baggedbug 04-07-2014 11:07 AM

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...84A14B286E.jpg
Gonna slap the heads back on and hope for the best.. If not a 383 or ls may be in the near future

71Dually 04-07-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74baggedbug (Post 6616646)
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...84A14B286E.jpg
Gonna slap the heads back on and hope for the best.. If not a 383 or ls may be in the near future

Now that photo is a nice candidate for a wallpaper. Might be a little difficult to find all the desktop icons but it sure is a great image. It would make a sweet puzzle, a nice gear heads variation on the traditional field of tulips, waterfall and puffy clouds in the blue sky stuff.

CST10 04-07-2014 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I changed both inner fenders and painted my engine bay finally.

CST10 04-07-2014 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Why did it flip the picture? Try again.

Lanman1972 04-07-2014 09:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started the rust repair, outer floor, both pillars, inner outer rockers, cab supports and cab corners. Removed the box, door, seat, gas tank, and fender. Did some exploring and just what I was expecting. I'll post pics as I go and maybe start build thread. Wish me Luck! Thanks to everyone on this forum for all info!

Ozzy2013 04-07-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgie70 (Post 6504527)
I put on a new fuel pump. What a pain trying to keep that rod up in there and get the gaskets situated. Required another set of hands from my friend. Now I know why people go with an electric one.:lol:

Next time put some grease on the rod it will hold it up while you do the pump.

ole dollor 04-07-2014 09:53 PM

grease works good ,and you can use a small round long screw driver and hold it up till you get the pump in place.. just make sure the rod is all the way up. its helps a lot.