The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=705824)

TKCR 12-11-2016 12:33 PM

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85/Silverado (Post 7793086)
How many packs did you have to order to do your truck?

I was just looking around at the silent coat website and saw this:

https://silentcoat.us/product/2mm-c10-dampening-kit/

It does say it's enough to do the floor, firewall and back of the cab. I bet it doesn't include the roof or doors.

LDO 12-11-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 7790345)
On my 84 build everything fit very tight and we used screws hidden in each corner. I do everything possible to avoid drilling holes that go to the outside. I don't want to encourage leaking or rust.

Jeff Drew had an ingenious idea for installing the back panel. He used Velcro stripped in each recess along the back panel. He says it's solid as can be and no holes drilled. I love that thought process.

I would think it's some type of industrial strength velcro right?

UKNOWME 12-11-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 7793100)

It does say it's enough to do the floor, firewall and back of the cab. I bet it doesn't include the roof or doors.

And it's out of stock.... :(

rustytruck50 12-11-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO (Post 7793144)
I would think it's some type of industrial strength velcro right?

Yep...3m makes a real heavy grade for interior trim, headliners, etc...
Last I knew, you could find it in the paint & body supply stores or napa.

bigblock73 12-11-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 7790359)
Another long day so I got a short stay in the shop. I managed a bit of time early this morning too I do have some progress on share. I marked and drilled the mounting holes for the speaker plates.

This is no easy task for the bottom two screws. I drilled and tapped the top hole, then stood on my head to mark the bottom holes. Trying to use a punch in the tight confines of the cab corner is a test of will too. My suggestion is install these with the seat out. It was raining outside or I would have pulled mine to gain access.

Regardless of how you do it, these brackets fit very well. Thanks for creating such a fantastic solution to mounting speakers in the cab corners Jeff. www.73-87.com

Thanks Ken. For the bottom holes, all you need to do is mark the two holes with a fine tip marker or a scratch awl...pull the bracket back out and drill your holes on the truck.

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85/Silverado (Post 7793086)
How many packs did you have to order to do your truck?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 7793100)

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKNOWME (Post 7793259)
And it's out of stock.... :(

I had already installed some previously purchased sound deadner in the doors, but it was all gone. That prompted me to consider what brands had the best value so I did my research. After reading on several car audio forums, and independent testing I was convinced that Silent Coat was a quality product that performed as well as the big name products for a fraction of the cost.

I ordered 2 boxes of 2mm and 2 boxes of 4mm. The 4mm goes up the firewall, floor pans and transmission tunnel. The 2mm goes under the seat and back of cab. As you can tell I didn't do the roof solid, but I had enough that I could have. They offer a 5mm as well but it was out of stock so Roy shipped the 4mm.

Contact Roy Staten at Silent Coat for more information
702-689-4704

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblock73 (Post 7793660)
Thanks Ken. For the bottom holes, all you need to do is mark the two holes with a fine tip marker or a scratch awl...pull the bracket back out and drill your holes on the truck.

Jeff I managed to get it done by marking and drilling the top hole first. This allowed me to maintain proper position for the bottom holes. I still had to stand on my head to get to them with the seat in the way. Certainly not a big deal, but it would have been easier with the seat out.

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 11:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Countdown to Throwdown.
The week, and weekend went by in a blur. I managed to get a lot done, but I still feel like I am behind schedule. With that in mind, I decided that I would not add the Kenwood powered sub in the storage tray as I had planned. I will focus on that after Lonestar Throwdown.

What I did manage to get done was finishing up the design and mock up of the install. I managed to squeeze a decent size storage tray behind the seat with no compromise on seat travel. The back just barely touches with the seat all the way back. I wasnt sure about the speakers firing in to the side of the tray, but feel it wont be an issue.

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 11:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A word of caution for those wanting to duplicate this storage tray. Be sure to buy the material you plan to cover it with before you finish the design and final fitment. I based my calculations on a vinyl with a thicker backing than I actually used. Consequently my gaps needed to be adjusted accordingly.

With the storage tray completed I countersunk all the screw flush, and sanded down the sharp edges. Once the entire tray was smooth Chris and I plotted out how to wrap the box. With the vinyl having a thinner backing I was able to wrap it in one piece. The end panels required some stretching and shrinking, but they are one piece as well.

TKCR 12-12-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 7793977)
A word of caution for those wanting to duplicate this storage tray. Be sure to buy the material you plan to cover it with before you finish the design and final fitment. I based my calculations on a vinyl with a thicker backing than I actually used. Consequently my gaps needed to be adjusted accordingly.

With the storage tray completed I countersunk all the screw flush, and sanded down the sharp edges. Once the entire tray was smooth Chris and I plotted out how to wrap the box. With the vinyl having a thinner backing I was able to wrap it in one piece. The end panels required some stretching and shrinking, but they are one piece as well.

You guys do awesome work!! I'm find myself waiting with anticipation to see what you have done. And I love all the pictures. I'm the kind of person that I like to post pics and I like seeing pics. It feel it really helps illustrate the project your working on.

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 7794051)
You guys do awesome work!! I'm find myself waiting with anticipation to see what you have done. And I love all the pictures. I'm the kind of person that I like to post pics and I like seeing pics. It feel it really helps illustrate the project your working on.

Thanks. It helps keep us motivated seeing our progress unfold.

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 01:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We discovered that the carpet kit had been cut short, and the speaker grills forced the storage tray far enough away there was a gap there too. To compensate Chris designed a filler block to go under the speaker plates. It will hide the bare floor and give it a more finished look.

I wrapped the speaker plates and left spare material on each side. This will tuck behind the tray andfill the gap. It will be attached with Velcro to make it removable if ever needed.

N2TRUX 12-12-2016 07:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDO
Hey, was reading your thread on Scarlett.
Did you use that silent coat on the doors too or some other form of insulation? Looks like you used duct tape along the edges and wasn't sure because your door now looks flat and I know there are alot of contours on the door panel.

LDO I hope you don't mind me giving you an answer here rather than private message.
The product I use behind the door panels is manufactured by Reflectix as SKU#BP24010
It is a double reflective insulation that reflects 94%+ radiant energy according to the manufacturer.

I use it as an added radiant barrier and sound deadner in conjunction with the sound deadner inside the doors. Its very light weight and cuts with scissors. As you can see I use duct tape to hold it in place and help create a seal. The combination of Reflectix and Silent Coat along with new beltline seals and vent windows from Precision Replacement Parts my doors are as quiet and air tight as possible.

N2TRUX 12-13-2016 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to go Christmas shopping last night. I got home late so I only spent a short time in the shop. I played with the fitment of the www.73-87.com speaker plates that are now wrapped in vinyl. Our plan will work, but I need to buy some velcro in length. All I have are small pieces.

I did get an email from Greg Stroik at Precision Replacement Parts saying my vent windows would ship out this week. That means I should be able to have the interior put together by Christmas. :metal:

For quotes on getting your vent windows rebuilt contact-
Greg Stroik
4611 Camp Phillips Rd.
Weston, WI. 54476
(715)-359-7837, Ext. 8235
greg.stroik@prp.com

LT7A 12-13-2016 02:10 PM

Good eye with your interior color matching!

N2TRUX 12-13-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7794958)
Good eye with your interior color matching!

Thank you. My 84 Sierra had a lot of different colors which is typical of GM trucks of that era. It drove me crazy but I was pressed for time so I had to do the best I could.

I decided from the beginning that Scarlett would not be the same. I wasn't sure about dying the seat vinyl till I tested it. I'm convinced it's more durable than the plastic trim now.

N2TRUX 12-14-2016 08:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Countdown to Throwdown! I had a successful day yesterday. Despite day filled with chaos at work my crew wrapped up a job that had been hanging over us for several weeks.
I also had a successful stop at the outlet mall scoring a smoking deal on some Christmas presents.
To celebrate, I spent some quality time with my side chick Scarlett. She was so happy to see me that our time together went smoothly.

I installed the www.73-87.come speaker plates adding velcro to the excess material to fill the gap between the plates and the storage tray. The other side tucks under the door seal. I installed the Kenwood 6x9 speakers in the plates and tightened everything down.

I am content that everything fits as we intended. I need to make a filler piece to go above the speaker plates that will smooth the transition and tare it apart for color matching. Everything except the speaker grills and trim rings will be Napa red.

gringoloco 12-14-2016 03:09 PM

Why not red instead on the speakers? Factory look anti-theft provision

N2TRUX 12-15-2016 08:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7795964)
Why not red instead on the speakers? Factory look anti-theft provision

Last night I dyed everything Napa red, including the speaker grills and trim rings. I'm not sure if I like it, or feel its a bit much. I need to get the storage tray installed before I decide. Unfortunately I had a set back that I have to address first.

The vinyl I used to wrap everything is thinner that what I have used in the past. It seemed durable enough for the application. The grain was a close match to the GM vinyl so I bought enough to do two trucks. The problem I encountered is the 3M glue Im using tends to soften the vinyl. Thats great when your working with stretching it to cover a panel. Its not so good when it separates from the backing, or is gouged by a sharp object while wet.

We managed to cover the end panels in one piece, but they were stretched very tight. While mocking them up, the speaker grills were up against the end caps and chewed a hole in one side. I tried to recover it, but the glue is doing what its supposed to do. Now that its cured the bond is permanent and I will have to shred the vinyl to remove it. The good news is I have a template. :(

LDO 12-15-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 7794350)
LDO I hope you don't mind me giving you an answer here rather than private message.
The product I use behind the door panels is manufactured by Reflectix as SKU#BP24010
It is a double reflective insulation that reflects 94%+ radiant energy according to the manufacturer.

Not at all! I appreciate the info!

gringoloco 12-16-2016 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These look good paint matched, IMO (GM grille):

N2TRUX 12-16-2016 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Countdown to Throwdown! What's up with this? Scarlett will have new shoes to wear at @lonestarthrowdown She can't be the Belle of the with last year's style. Stayed tuned for complete details

whytry85 12-16-2016 10:23 AM

you have made more progress on this truck in a week than I have on mine in a year...ha! great progress! been keeping up with it on instagram as well!! looking forward to hear how well the silent coat does.

lolife99 12-16-2016 10:27 AM

Maybe a set of Raceline wheels that you borrowed or bought?

ultrahd4me 12-16-2016 10:32 AM

Yep.... the freight train just left the tracks.