The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622971)

KQQL IT 11-24-2014 02:41 AM

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6831161)
I said in the beginning of this build that I hated 73-87 dashes.

For the record, it doesn't take long at all to remove the dash with an air powered body saw.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f58ec4a72d.jpg

64 model dash

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...d633e38e86.jpg

There's still work to be done, but its a very straightforward fitment. A couple of filler pieces on the ends and a little welding and it will be permanent.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...dbb988c438.jpg

Interfacing the electrical will be the biggest amount of time. I have to hit the swap meet next week and come up with an instrument cluster, heater control, light switch, wiper switch, and maybe ignition switch. I'm thinking hard about swapping to an earlier column without the key on it. I got to redo all my steering shaft for the dropmember anyway....

Found it.
Nice work the dash swap is neat and rather easy. At least I thought.

Stoney 11-28-2014 11:11 AM

Looking good.

Tx Firefighter 11-29-2014 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is probably the last photo I'll post until the completed color pictures. I guess it's now obvious that I'm building a cartoon bagged out farm truck.

YBNORML 11-30-2014 04:53 AM

Great thread as usual. Read the whole thing in one sitting. Looking forward to the reveal.

lolife99 11-30-2014 08:15 AM

Looks perfect!!!

SCOTI 11-30-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6938230)
This is probably the last photo I'll post until the completed color pictures. I guess it's now obvious that I'm building a cartoon bagged out farm truck.

Hey buddy.....
Have you leaked any photos to your buddies?? 😉

Tx Firefighter 11-30-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 6938947)
Hey buddy.....
Have you leaked any photos to your buddies?? 😉

<raised eyebrows> why you ask, are there pictures floating around out there somewhere that I haven't seen ? Only Preacher Mike, Shane, and Louisiana Keith have seen more than what I've posted up here.

I lost your phone number awhile back when I had a little situation in the Metro PCS store and no longer became welcome to be one of their customers. So I had to start over with a blank phone and AT&T service with a new number.

SCOTI 11-30-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 6938994)
<raised eyebrows> why you ask, are there pictures floating around out there somewhere that I haven't seen ? Only Preacher Mike, Shane, and Louisiana Keith have seen more than what I've posted up here.

I lost your phone number awhile back when I had a little situation in the Metro PCS store and no longer became welcome to be one of their customers. So I had to start over with a blank phone and AT&T service with a new number.

No, I haven't seen anything more than posted here
(sniffle...).

WhaJac 11-30-2014 05:02 PM

Nice build, thanks for taking us from 1" of floor schmeegma to current and anticipating the reveal.

flashed 11-30-2014 06:56 PM

Still following and cant wait for the rest .

rusty76 11-30-2014 08:53 PM

Looks like a headache rack on the back to me. Looking good......

jott_06 12-01-2014 08:40 PM

I bet you will get some looks when you pull in a parking lot at full lift and all of the sudden that innocent looking farm truck is slammed in the weeds.

Tx Firefighter 12-01-2014 09:08 PM

Its gonna look like a cartoon. I still have a few tricks I haven't showed anyone yet.

It's freakin low. Full lift is still like a 4/6 drop below stock height. Full dump is frame on the ground. It's not like the local low rider kids who can make their stuff look like its on tippy toes when aired up.

I even used flat plates on my lower control arms rather than cups to try and keep the ride height up. With my 3" spindles and 27 inch tall front tires, the damn thing is flat out road grater height.

Before I started the dropmember airbag stuff, the truck was 4/6 drop. Now my ride height is about 2-3 inches below that. The dropmember makes it less risky though since it gets the front suspension up and away from the road. The control arms won't ever dig on, or crossmember drag, like a deeply dropped static drop does.

aggie91 12-02-2014 10:17 AM

I like what you have shown us so far, but your becoming a tease...

mcbassin 12-08-2014 10:13 AM

Kevin, I'm sure I missed it but what are you running for inner fenders?

Hunyoc 12-09-2014 03:46 AM

The black and white has got me thinkin i'do it like this! never felt that. Just was along for the craftsmanship,handy tricks, and good advise. But I'd flat cream yellow with white bumpers, rims,and trim. that way I could take my lemonade to the shade.

Because of your stand on safety and use it like a parts chaser attatude. (I like) I hope you do a long term test with heavy haul and thrash and pull testing. the fab. parts looked good going by on my bucking mule but if they can't stand the test of time It's hard to make that jump too the cartoon for a paying friend that wants it to take what his stocker has . I do not think bad of any of the parts or fab. Just know if you where using any of my parts I would respect you and this forems input greatly to create the next generation of parts.

I Is a fab man all things break nothing is to strong and i'm only as good as i can convince you I am by my actions.

P-DAWG'85 12-10-2014 02:19 PM

Looks awesome in black and white but come on Give us a PIC!

Cashed 12-10-2014 02:35 PM

Nice build, Kevin. I cant wait to see this one rolling down the beautiful, bumpy streets of Springtown! I should have the known the blue and white truck was yours. I liked that truck a lot. Everytruck Ive seen in town that I like turns out to be yours! I need to come check out your builds...Seeing as how it takes about 5 minutes to walk across Springtown!

Tx Firefighter 12-10-2014 04:35 PM

Cashed, do you live on Old Springtown Road ? When I drive down there I always see a mailbox says Cash. Didn't know if that was coincidence or what ?

Cashed 12-10-2014 05:28 PM

No sir, that isn't me. That is actually my uncle. My grandparent live around the corner from him on Young Rd. I live behind Bryant's Real Estate. If the last name is Cash and they live in Springtown, then they're likely kinfolk.

hick 12-16-2014 04:10 AM

So, a few months ago i rolled my truck into storage.

It was never supposed to come out, but a chain of events led me to driving it for a few months this summer.

Where it sits now, short of a similar chain of events (which i've taken great lengths to prevent), is where it will sit for at least the next 5 years, if not more

I have chosen to do this in part because of this thread, and other your have written.

I HATE half assing stuff, and I refuse to start anything on my truck till I am 100% capable. Even if it means tucking it away for awhile

Thank you for continuing to post. It shows me that good things really do come to those who wait, and it allows me to sleep at night knowing that I am going to build my truck with intentions of matching your quality and workmanship.

This is also the ONLY thread that I have read every single comment in.

jlsanborn 12-29-2014 06:27 PM

Great thread and super build - well done!

"4x4 Bad assery" :haha:
"Ozone smell from aluminum bodied tools" :haha:

mcbassin 12-30-2014 02:51 PM

Waiting for color pics still.
:wop:

Tx Firefighter 12-30-2014 04:20 PM

I've been suffering from low motivation lately. It's real cold in the shop for one. Number 2, the Little Larrys valve block has turned out to be a piece of sh1t. I'm going to have to go into it and see what I find. It leaks though. I'm kind of skeert that I'm going to have to completely redo my air system for something other than the LL valves.

I do have the front clip all back on it. Other than the hood, the entire truck is assembled and adjusted and aligned as best as you can align a 73-80 model GM truck body.

I'll get there.

killthewabbit 12-30-2014 04:31 PM

Sucks about the Little Larrys valves. I had considered those in the past myself.