The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

NoStopN 05-13-2017 05:18 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

I changed the earl & filter in mine. And I did the same for the other 2 in the fleet as well. That's a lot of lubrication to take back to be recycled.

Oregon 1967 GMC 05-13-2017 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With Boris' help we got the Steering Wheel off and will start to refurbish it.

paul blair 05-13-2017 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned and painted rims yesterday. New 31/10.50 TIRES today!

Metaldoc 05-14-2017 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like this pic, it all looks like it came that way but, 2 inch bed raise, 2 inch wheel mini tubs, cantilevered tailgate, sunken spare, respaced composite deck boards and all screw down bed from the top.

Metaldoc 05-14-2017 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 7942009)
With Boris' help we got the Steering Wheel off and will start to refurbish it.

I've been there.

Mator 05-15-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7941382)
Installed 2in drop spindles. Now the front is at 5. Gotta put on the c notch to go to 7 on rear. Although I knew the 45 series was too tall I barely got it home lol. Will be looking for some 40 series tires.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...512_173936.jpg

Have you thought about 5 inch springs and 2 inch blocks? That's what I did to prevent me from having to C notch and still get to 7 total drop. A lot easier than cutting the frame.:smoke:

66clow 05-15-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mator (Post 7943047)
Have you thought about 5 inch springs and 2 inch blocks? That's what I did to prevent me from having to C notch and still get to 7 total drop. A lot easier than cutting the frame.:smoke:

I have 5 inch springs now and planned to do the 2 inch blocks. But I don't think it is driveable like that? How much clearance do you have? I'd love not to cut the frame.

Mator 05-15-2017 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7943092)
I have 5 inch springs now and planned to do the 2 inch blocks. But I don't think it is driveable like that? How much clearance do you have? I'd love not to cut the frame.

No issues at all. I have never hit anything. The 20's keep it up.

66clow 05-15-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mator (Post 7943105)
No issues at all. I have never hit anything. The 20's keep it up.

I'll give it a try, won't hurt anything to throw the blocks on and see. I had 15's and just went to the 20's, didn't realize the 20's made that much of a difference. Thanks

Robert Haas 05-15-2017 11:09 AM

This weekend I put the big CPP sway bar kit on my 65, I also upgraded the lower control arm U-bolts to 5/8"(quite a jump from the factory 3/8") then installed a set of Monroe Magnum shocks.

The ride quality is off the chart. Far and away the biggest change I have ever "felt" in the 4 plus decades I have had this truck.

Port&PolishMan 05-15-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7943117)
I'll give it a try, won't hurt anything to throw the blocks on and see. I had 15's and just went to the 20's, didn't realize the 20's made that much of a difference. Thanks

Oh Joy - Look at those Wheels - they Shin like the Dark !

Zzzzzzzzz Boring - No Pictures ! :smoke:

66clow 05-15-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Port&PolishMan (Post 7943566)
Oh Joy - Look at those Wheels - they Shin like the Dark !

Zzzzzzzzz Boring - No Pictures ! :smoke:

Lol previous page sir

Before
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...pselxegns1.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psu6mcgyqi.jpg

jethro5333 05-16-2017 06:29 AM

replaced the 1 1/4 spacers on my rear axle with 2 inch. looks much better. wasn't sure 3/4 of an inch would make much difference, but it did. I have '07 18 in. Tahoe wheels on my '67 so I needed spacers for clearance but the rear looked tucked in compared to the front. the new spacers put them out where I wanted them.

saskman02 05-16-2017 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the wheels & tires off the truck tonight to give them a good clean and to inspect the brakes. Man am I ever glad I did! Found a cracked spoke on my 2 year old US Mags. Disaster averted! Now need to talk to the tire shop tomorrow to see if it's covered under warranty. Here's a pic of the back side of the wheel, the crack is just becoming visible on the front side.

Attachment 1652653

Boog 05-17-2017 12:42 AM

Oh man. Is that a large diameter wheel by chance? That is what I am surprised doesn't happen more often with them. Sure glad you caught it.

midniteblues 05-17-2017 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Felt the temp sending probe cut loose as I was installing my new gauge.
While snuggling it down,thought I had stripped the threads till I put a eye on it.
Nope just twisted off the hex on the fitting.

I don't have any ez outs this big so I found a alternative use for a torx socket.:metal:
The fitting has only been in for a year so it came out pretty easy.

Afterwards i took the dumper for a few mile jaunt.
I'm pretty sure that was the longest drive it's had since around 1991.

There is some noise in the drive line, only while accelerating or decelerating in 4th gear. while rolling in forth it don't happen.
It was dark when I got back so investigation starts today.

ghalperin 05-17-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskman02 (Post 7944698)
I took the wheels & tires off the truck tonight to give them a good clean and to inspect the brakes. Man am I ever glad I did! Found a cracked spoke on my 2 year old US Mags. Disaster averted! Now need to talk to the tire shop tomorrow to see if it's covered under warranty. Here's a pic of the back side of the wheel, the crack is just becoming visible on the front side.

Attachment 1652653

What model and size are they? Where were they manufactured?

saskman02 05-17-2017 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7944744)
Oh man. Is that a large diameter wheel by chance? That is what I am surprised doesn't happen more often with them. Sure glad you caught it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghalperin (Post 7944935)
What model and size are they? Where were they manufactured?

They are a 20x8 US Mags model U104 made in China. The PO had them installed and once I saw the crack, my eyes went immediately to the MADE IN CHINA stamping and suddenly it made sense.

Attachment 1652718

weq92f 05-17-2017 12:36 PM

Glad you found that. That could have made for a very bad incident indeed if you were at speed when it let go.

Surely that wheel was subject to something unmovable and very hard in the recent past? Maybe the PO did it?

Scary,

-klb

toolboxchev 05-17-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskman02 (Post 7944967)
They are a 20x8 US Mags model U104 made in China. The PO had them installed and once I saw the crack, my eyes went immediately to the MADE IN CHINA stamping and suddenly it made sense.

Attachment 1652718

Man, talk about why I hate China. Glad to see that you were not hurt, lost your rig or other.

That is the thing about doing these trucks, A lot of stuff out there and you end up with something completely opposite of what the intended purpose is. I have a beef with any auto parts places wants to sell me bad parts.

saskman02 05-17-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 7945049)
Glad you found that. That could have made for a very bad incident indeed if you were at speed when it let go.

Surely that wheel was subject to something unmovable and very hard in the recent past? Maybe the PO did it?

Scary,

-klb

Very scary. Best case scenario the truck would have seen some damage. Worst case, I or even worse, someone else could have been killed. I don't think the wheel has seen any prior damage, the PO only had the new wheels and tires on the truck for 2 months (and 50 miles) before I bought it. With such a low profile tire, 255/35r20, i think there would be some other damage visible. But other than the crack, the wheel looks like new.

mud.man.rj 05-17-2017 09:09 PM

Glad you inspected the rims, best outcome, now just the warranty if any.
Mudman.

Metaldoc 05-17-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskman02 (Post 7944967)

Attachment 1652718

I would change them all, if one cracked they all will. To much stress on them with the truck weight, tire size and the low profile. Made for Chinese light weight cars. I value my truck more than the look. Damn scary.

thetruckrman 05-20-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonepostal (Post 6798288)
Installed 01 Cadillac Deville power seats lots of fun

Hey Gonepostal. I have a 1970 C20 and am looking into replacing my factory bench seat with some '01 era Cadillac Deville power seats... Could you PM me so I can pick your brain about the fabrication/fit aspect? :mm:

66clow 05-20-2017 07:21 PM

Swapped out the 45 series for some 35 series my buddy had to get some clearance with the 5 in front drop. Sometimes you do stuff that you feel really stupid for. I bought these wheels and tires used a couple weeks ago. 195 rear tires, I thought I adjusted my panhard bar evenly when I had my old 235 tires on. I noticed a squeal every so often when I turned my wheel. Thought it was my ps belt, tried adjusting it but it wouldn't go away. My buddy was in his car and saw smoke coming from my right rear tire thinking I was doing a burnout lol. Turned out with the new tires I was rubbing the Mess out of it on the inside tub. Thankfully that tire was bald anyway and needs replacing.:banghead:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psv8o8tczm.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0ydunirj.jpg