The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

vintovka 08-21-2023 06:37 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Fired it up, drove to Post Office, got 2 honks, a wave, a bunch of looks and at least 3 "what year is that?" and a standard "my dad had one of those". Still a hoot to drive as a daily and all i ever wanted it to be.

lgh1157 08-23-2023 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Drove this with air ride for the first time in 4 years
Mocking up my Plymouth bumpers

Tempest67 08-28-2023 11:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Another summer of Cruise Nights, running errands, and going for Fish and Chips, and still running great.

Thank you to Skymangs (RIP), Hussey, and JoeDoh (and all the others) for sharing their builds for us to see. The combination of 'modern' handling of an S10, with the looks of an AD truck is perfect for what I was hoping for from this truck.

nvrdone 09-03-2023 10:43 PM

I've had this rattle under the front end. Every time I would hit a bump it would sound like the front fenders were going to fall off.
Today I jacked it up and had my wife push on the fenders to try and locate the noise. sure enough we found it. On the radiator support where it bolts to the frame cross member the rubber bushing were completely gone. Replaced them with some nylon bushings I had, replaced the bolts and now the noise is gone. Time for more road miles.

fauXGT 09-05-2023 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Getting closer to finishing the wheel shrinking.
Timeline about 9 months.

vintovka 09-05-2023 08:33 PM

Finished the install on the headset and rear view camera. Both really were worth the effort.

nvrdone 09-07-2023 08:52 PM

a few years ago I pushed the front bumper back. Used the middle hole in the bracket mounted to the rear most hole in the frame. No other holes would line up so I just called it good. The bracket has a tendency to drop down and rub on the front spring shackles which I didnt like.
So I decided to drill a new hole thru the frame mount and into the bracket. After about 2 hours of work and still no new hole I gave up. Im using new carbide tip bits and still no luck. So now I need to find a machine shop that can drill the holes for me. Oh well.

leegreen 09-07-2023 09:25 PM

yeah, I wanted 1/2 holes but settled for 3/8!

nvrdone 09-08-2023 12:16 AM

hey Lee, at least you got closer than I did.

_Ogre 09-09-2023 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauXGT (Post 9237356)
Getting closer to finishing the wheel shrinking.
Timeline about 9 months.

looks good! you probably started with ''oh this will be easy!" :D

fauXGT 09-09-2023 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 9238445)
looks good! you probably started with ''oh this will be easy!" :D

You got that right. Got the color on it today, but had a spillage while trying to get into the tight spaces in the cab.....so the 2nd coat on everything will have to wait until next weekend when I get some more. Uggg.

dsraven 09-10-2023 11:04 AM

faux, what did you use to fill the gaps after the wheel "shrinking"? epoxy of some sort?

fauXGT 09-10-2023 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started with 'Polywater' stick 2 part putty epoxy for the bulk. Made molds from heavy industrial aluminum tape. Undercut the ring so the filler would minimize deep cracking. Poured JB Weld in and dried each side before flipping and repeating. Alot of grinding and sanding. All products were donated by work.;)

leegreen 09-10-2023 03:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What was the outer wheel from?

Having done that, do you think it is feasible to both shrink the wheel as you have done and to increase the offset? (So the rim is closer to driver)

I have a tilt column from Camaro, the AD wheel fits after I trimmed the back, but that make it too close to the signal stalk, newer wheels are all offset towards driver.

AD wheel on Camaro column:
Attachment 2296822

And the C10 wheel I am currently running. Camaro wheel is too small until/if I put power steering in, or I spend a lot of time in the gym!
Attachment 2296823

vintovka 09-10-2023 03:53 PM

Great Work!! At my age i cannot imagine using the smaller wheel without power steering.

fauXGT 09-10-2023 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The new ring is Lecarra, which is found at several aftermarket classic parts sellers. About $200. I wanted to reduce the size but still utilize the stock column. They do sell a pre-made 15" that looks stock AD, but for aftermarket columns like your tilt. About $350+.
I have C4 Vette front suspension with rack and pinion, so wanted to make a bit more belly room.
You could check into the tilt column wheel to see if it has more clearance to the turn signal stalk. They have a bigger lower base to fit to the tilt diameter.

unclebrad 09-11-2023 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the air cleaner back from powder coating and put it on. they did the valve covers too. they call the color "titanium".

I had some issues with the powder coating guys sand blasting all the filler out of the seams, so they had to redo it, but it is done now. I can move on to the next thing.

In an earlier post, (NON Automotive Parts used in your Build Lets See them Before and After. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=845596 Posts 4, 6, 9, 15 ) I talked about making it.

In real life, it has a little more metallic showing, but you get the idea.

28TudorAZ 09-11-2023 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 9234889)
Another summer of Cruise Nights, running errands, and going for Fish and Chips, and still running great.

Thank you to Skymangs (RIP), Hussey, and JoeDoh (and all the others) for sharing their builds for us to see. The combination of 'modern' handling of an S10, with the looks of an AD truck is perfect for what I was hoping for from this truck.

Looking great!!!

unclebrad 09-12-2023 07:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got my wheels painted.

I saw on a couple forums (this being one of them?) where the writer had used playing cards slipped between the wheel and deflated tire, for masking. I didn’t have any cards that I wanted to sacrifice, but I did have some old file folders, which I thought might be stiff enough for the job. And they were.

Here’s a quick description of what I did.

To get the right shape, I just pressed the paper folder against the rim to get an impression, and cut along that. Turns out that one file folder will do one side of one wheel.

Then I covered the rest of the tire sides with some newsprint I had.
In the photos, the old valve stem is still in the wheel, but I removed it before painting. (These tires are going to be replaced.)

Oh yeah, I used a rattle can with 2k paint. Pricey but good durable paint.

my56chevytruck 09-20-2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauXGT (Post 9238545)
You got that right. Got the color on it today, but had a spillage while trying to get into the tight spaces in the cab.....so the 2nd coat on everything will have to wait until next weekend when I get some more. Uggg.

that's an awesome job you did on the steering wheel. good going

nvrdone 09-21-2023 12:12 AM

hey unclebrad: wheels look great but are you running 5 & 6 lug wheels???

ghackett1 09-21-2023 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed (3) carports behind the barn this week. Now my wife has a place to park out front LOL:

http://https://www.67-72chevytrucks....1&d=1695297173

youngrodder 09-21-2023 10:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I added a vintage roof rack to my 53' Suburban. This is a temporary version as I have a show in Oct (C10 Fall Revival) in Denton N. Carolina to attend.

Over the winter I will build a more elaborate rack.

Thanks
Marc

leegreen 09-21-2023 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
those are sweet cast ends!

Hopefully you never need to make a tool like this to fix your gutters. My cab had a flattened spot on both sides from over zealous tightening of roof racks. This tool worked but it took some patience.

Attachment 2301255

dsraven 09-21-2023 12:25 PM

Nice thinking outside the box LG. I bet vice grips would also work. More cash laid out though.