The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

myyamr7 04-16-2014 09:56 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

2 Attachment(s)
I finally found a tach kit at a great price, and added the white gauge faces as well. Took about 2 hours between painting the tins, adding the white faces, and installing the tach.
Before and after..

Mike_The_Grad 04-18-2014 04:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Home made "mcguyver" oven: successful. Also succeeded in not blowing up my house...I was very nervous as I was keeping a close eye on the headers cooking at 400° for 2 hrs. I wouldn't let myself step away for the first hour. But I figured if its been an hour and nothings caught fire it will probably be OK. I made the oven out of a collapsable dog kennel, tin foil, cardboard, wood,brick,propane burner, and tinfoil tape. I was able to control the heat by +-50° just by adding or removing a brick from the top of the oven. My girlfriend was definatly impressed, sighting that if "S were to hit the fan" I could provide for us. Turned out better than I thought considering it cost about $50 to get my headers back to decent shape. I also reconnected my exhaust and installed chrome flywheel dust cover (after slight modification,I think the "easy to install" is a typo). Battle wound to show that it was time to call it quits for the night. Good thing I was wearing gloves, could have been a lot worse. Got it from removing starter and dropping it against frame rail.

9teen69 04-18-2014 07:37 AM

Looking good, glad you had gloves on ...don't forget the eye pro either.:devil:
Try some liquid bandage, it burns but keeps out the grease.

Mator 04-18-2014 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After a year and a half tear down and rebuilding, The engine roared to life last night for the first time. Scared the nighbors though. No exhaust yet and inside the garage which made it seem lauder. Next step is to install the driveline tonight and it should be under its own power. This is a huge milestone for me and my build.:metal:

9teen69 04-18-2014 07:45 AM

Looks clean. Sounded awesome huh...had a neighbor at the apts complain when I did that last year...I couldn't wipe the smile off my face

Mator 04-18-2014 07:47 AM

Thats exactly how I felt. I had to drag the kids out to hear it and when the wife got home made her come out and start it up so she could hear it. Almost like a new daddy.

texasld 04-18-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad (Post 6634464)
Home made "mcguyver" oven: successful. Also succeeded in not blowing up my house...I was very nervous as I was keeping a close eye on the headers cooking at 400° for 2 hrs. I wouldn't let myself step away for the first hour. But I figured if its been an hour and nothings caught fire it will probably be OK. I made the oven out of a collapsable dog kennel, tin foil, cardboard, wood,brick,propane burner, and tinfoil tape. I was able to control the heat by +-50° just by adding or removing a brick from the top of the oven. My girlfriend was definatly impressed, sighting that if "S were to hit the fan" I could provide for us. Turned out better than I thought considering it cost about $50 to get my headers back to decent shape. I also reconnected my exhaust and installed chrome flywheel dust cover (after slight modification,I think the "easy to install" is a typo). Battle wound to show that it was time to call it quits for the night. Good thing I was wearing gloves, could have been a lot worse. Got it from removing starter and dropping it against frame rail.

That's an impressive "Red Green" oven. That's awesome!

Nhoechst 04-18-2014 09:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished up my re painting project at 9 Wed night. Sorry it took so long to post the pics, just been too busy. Took it to a show today and got a lot of compliments, so i guess the hard work payed off.

Ozzy2013 04-18-2014 11:17 PM

Put armrests in my plane jane that didnt come with them .Ha ha

Ridgeclimber 04-19-2014 01:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished sanding and prepping the interior. We got it primed in epoxy primer today.

Econman 04-19-2014 08:39 AM

I'm jealous.. I wish I was at that stage already!

67Slider 04-19-2014 12:30 PM

Filled her up last week and found out the seal to the sending unit was bad. So today I siphoned out the 18 gallons, dropped the tank and replaced the o-ring and the locking ring. (I'm using the 69 Camaro tank). Wasn't too bad. Took longer to siphon the gas out than remove, repair and replace the tank.

Elliot949 04-19-2014 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the Stock Cast Iron 4-Barrel intake and carb off along with the Stock Stamped Steel Valve Covers off and set the 3- Duece Setup and Finned Valve Covers on Just for giggles... I am leaving the 3- Duece's on there and getting rid of the Stock 4 Barrel and Spread bore intake... Stuck the stock valve covers back on for now to protect the polished Aluminum ones... I also have a Torker intake that is needing a new home...

Saclandman 04-19-2014 04:36 PM

Moved my 67 C20 to a new home closer to my house. Now its 10 minutes away instead of 45. The weight pushed the trailer to its limit so 40 mph on the freeway was as fast as I could go without the trailer fish tailing all over the place. Exciting drive.

Woodnears 04-19-2014 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut an inch and a half off my buckets to gain some head room! Welded some square stock back in to reinforce them. Excuse the ****ty welds I'm just learning how to tig weld.

Woodnears 04-19-2014 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like having them sit below the window opening as well. The drivers side was before I cut them off. The passenger is after. Ya can barely see the top of the seat. I've really just been tackling odds and ends awaiting my shipment of porterbuilt from azproperformance. Oh the anticipation!

vidman 04-19-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6636210)
Pulled the Stock Cast Iron 4-Barrel intake and carb off along with the Stock Stamped Steel Valve Covers off and set the 3- Duece Setup and Finned Valve Covers on Just for giggles... I am leaving the 3- Duece's on there and getting rid of the Stock 4 Barrel and Spread bore intake... Stuck the stock valve covers back on for now to protect the polished Aluminum ones... I also have a Torker intake that is needing a new home...

Now That,s Sweet

vidman 04-19-2014 07:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Installed my carb and finished up my fuel lines. did some work on my exhaust and decided it was time to have a cocktail...:chevy:

Ridgeclimber 04-19-2014 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent my Saturday sanding the interior.

ole dollor 04-20-2014 01:15 PM

the last few weeks I put on a new water pump and fuel pump, and continue to drive it every day, almost 118000 miles and still going strong... ole dollor and me have a good life. two old farts going to coffee.

TwinsSpeedShop 04-20-2014 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sold my 70 LS swap swb and bought this supper solid stepper

Mr Handy 04-20-2014 05:56 PM

I ordered a bunch of new stuff for my long block 350 that's in the garage... water pump, intake, harmonic balancer, fan & clutch, headers, exhaust kit, new body mounts, wire gutters rad supports, fly wheel, alternator, fuel pump,and a ton of other stuff... all I need to do now is hit the parts store and get my 4 row rad, and get over to a fellow board members place and grab a core support. then on the first Sunday of the month I will swing by the swap meet and grab a rebuilt 600 Holley from my Carb guy and be ready to drop her in.

When I'm done everything in the truck will be new accept for the trans which seems to be a solid as a rock built 350. then it will be time to focus on finishing up the rust repair and get some paint on her... first comes mechanical, then comes cosmetics. :metal:

Motoxrrar 04-20-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidman (Post 6636587)
Installed my carb and finished up my fuel lines. did some work on my exhaust and decided it was time to have a cocktail...:chevy:

Love the Brodex heads named a boxer dog after them... Brodex (Brody )

Mike_The_Grad 04-20-2014 10:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
@9teen69: yes eye protection is a must! Even though I've power washed and repainted everything in the engine bay and firewall area it can fall from anywhere...@Texas LD: yeah its a dual ring propane burner I picked up for $27. It puts out 26,000 btu's. I placed a cookie sheet over the flame to keep the direct flame off the headers. In two minutes the cookie sheet was glowing red, I owe mom a new one...@mator: I know the feeling! I'm closing on my "start" day, just received new stainless tranny Cooler lines from jegs. Also,was able to get power steering mounted and alternator bracket mounted. Had to remove some material for top alternator bracket alignment. Have to wait a day or two til I can get down to parts store for longer belts.