The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=392636)

cmabolt 10-26-2016 11:26 PM

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7753150)
Ok Chris, been some time since there's been an update on this thread. I need a little better closure on this :lol: I think you need to post at least a few pictures of how the truck's being used, or places it has taken you to. Help a guy out, please :lol:

Hi Rick! Yeah, been a while. I got to 3 shows this year. The last of which was this past weekend of October 23rd and that is the last in 2016. I didn't ever intend this truck to be a show truck, but have really enjoyed the ritual of getting up early and getting to the shows, chatting with people at the shows and seeing what other people have done. Most of the shows are also donating for a good cause so there's that. As long as the paint holds up, I will keep going I guess. This past show I took home 2nd place in the 4x4 class. That was nice. My truck just can't compete with those trophies trucks that only come off the trailer to be parked and buffed.

I try and drive the truck at least 2-3 times a month to keep it happy and enjoy the fruits of all those years labor. I continue to upgrade when time, but just had a little one, my first, and time is less of a surplus than before her arrival.

I did get a square body sway bar setup for the truck and plan to install as soon as I finish rebuilding my jeep's motor. I also still intend to upgrade the interior with more woodwork, but that will have to wait till next Summer. With the miles I have put on the truck I have had zero issues. It rides great and runs smooth as can be. The motor could use a few more horses for my taste so a cam will likely be put in this coming Summer as well.

So here's some pics of the summer fun.
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4gos8vvb.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...psajkonde0.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6pt5pths.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...psaacbmdki.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...pssjbjkbgy.jpg

rgunlock 10-27-2016 07:33 AM

Ahhh, that feels better :lol: Congrats on the new daughter, as well as for the trophy! Word of warning - the older your daughter gets, the less free time (and money) you will have :lol:

7dee2 10-27-2016 10:02 AM

Very cool, good for you and your family, congratulations Chris!

72MARIO 10-27-2016 07:57 PM

Do you happen to have the belt length or part number you used handy ? I have been having problems finding one that gets the belt tensioner in the right position. I am in between sizes so far and have followed holleys specific pulleys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 7300086)
New Holley AC brackets installed. I am very impressed with the engineering on these. Fit together nicely and looks like a stock setup. After install, not a squeak from the belt.
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1wrusp22.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2dg2bp4h.jpg
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...psvg2z7g4b.jpg

cmabolt 10-28-2016 10:46 AM

Your are correct. The belt suggestion for the Holley setup is extremely tight. I will check my setup and give you the belt # I used.

Chris

LT7A 11-01-2016 09:08 AM

Chris, I'm very impressed with your build. I won't say something silly like the Montana body shop did you a favor by hanging on to your truck for 3 years. But I have the feeling that it wouldn't have come together to your standards. And you might have ended up taking it all back apart anyway. Really, really nice truck. And very well executed. Thanks for taking the time to detail your work process on it. You used some products that I am very interested in. Things I was wondering how I was going to handle. So thanks for the help too. Keep us posted, even if it's just to show how you're using the truck. After reading the whole thread, kinda get attached to the rig, ya know?

Congrats on the little one too,
Chris

cmabolt 11-01-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7753335)
Ahhh, that feels better :lol: Congrats on the new daughter, as well as for the trophy! Word of warning - the older your daughter gets, the less free time (and money) you will have :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7753422)
Very cool, good for you and your family, congratulations Chris!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7757712)
Chris, I'm very impressed with your build. I won't say something silly like the Montana body shop did you a favor by hanging on to your truck for 3 years. But I have the feeling that it wouldn't have come together to your standards. And you might have ended up taking it all back apart anyway. Really, really nice truck. And very well executed. Thanks for taking the time to detail your work process on it. You used some products that I am very interested in. Things I was wondering how I was going to handle. So thanks for the help too. Keep us posted, even if it's just to show how you're using the truck. After reading the whole thread, kinda get attached to the rig, ya know?

Congrats on the little one too,
Chris

Thanks everybody for the kind words. This forum has been great and I literally couldn't have built my truck without all the great people and resources here. I will whenever possible try and help anybody out that asks for help.

Thanks again!
Chris

swamp rat 11-03-2016 01:15 PM

Long time follower of your build, everyone else already said it for me... I will say that like you I owe a lot to this forum and the people here as well!

cmabolt 07-24-2017 10:36 AM

***UPDATES***
so, been up to some more updating of the Project Reno build. I purchased a square body sway bar setup a while back and am just now getting to installing it. More details to come on that front.

I also have had some ongoing issues with my rebuilt steering box from Napa. It was great when first installed, but got worse and worse and worse. So I bit the bullet and purchased a red-head steering gear with the 15:1 ratio. Wow! is all I can say. It steers like a completely different truck. Sharp concise and a pleasure to drive now. Highly recommend.

I am however plagued with power steering pump line leak issues. I have tried everything to stop the leakage, teflon liquid, rtv, teflon tape. I am still getting dripping after each drive. Suggestions are much appreciated. It is adapted, so maybe that is the issue. I am about to braze the whole deal and say hell with it.

In addition to the steering upgrades, I have decided to dump the flow master Super 44's. They sound too much like glass packs. Had I know, would never have had them installed. I will be updating the exhaust this fall probably with a new muffler and will probably re-route exhaust out sides not rear of truck or dumping. Thinking about original FM40's or Spintech.

Also, I have purchased a set of 799 LS heads off a 5.3 to increase my compression. I will be going through these to refresh and install with a cam once I have decided what to go with. Just looking for a little more punch in the low rpm range. The truck still runs great and have been showing a good amount. At least till the paint starts to look like crap. I will be at Carlisle PA again this August at the trucks show. Should be a lot of fun.

More pics to come as I decide how to install the sway bar setup. I have seen some nice solutions out there. Just need to choose. I will do a writeup as well on the motor upgrades. Install, cam choice, results etc.

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

cmabolt 12-19-2022 09:22 PM

ttt...Well, been ages since on here, but since I have a new garage in the works, thought I might check in and start planning updates to Project Reno.
The truck has been mothballed for a couple years now with the purchase of a new home in combination with fan/wiring issues on cooling system setup.
So planning some extensive upgrades to cooling system, engine internals and transmission/clutch.

More to come hopefully in 2023. Have a great holiday to all.
Chris

Louisvillekytruck 02-16-2023 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 9157755)
ttt...Well, been ages since on here, but since I have a new garage in the works, thought I might check in and start planning updates to Project Reno.
The truck has been mothballed for a couple years now with the purchase of a new home in combination with fan/wiring issues on cooling system setup.
So planning some extensive upgrades to cooling system, engine internals and transmission/clutch.

More to come hopefully in 2023. Have a great holiday to all.
Chris

Nice truck any updates

First c10 02-24-2023 12:08 PM

Great update...
I added this to my truck when I built it. Due to the lift I added the shackle kit to the sway bar and kept the swaybar flat.:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 7998505)
***UPDATES***
so, been up to some more updating of the Project Reno build. I purchased a square body sway bar setup a while back and am just now getting to installing it. More details to come on that front.
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...902530/enhance
I also have had some ongoing issues with my rebuilt steering box from Napa. It was great when first installed, but got worse and worse and worse. So I bit the bullet and purchased a red-head steering gear with the 15:1 ratio. Wow! is all I can say. It steers like a completely different truck. Sharp concise and a pleasure to drive now. Highly recommend.
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...905417/enhance
I am however plagued with power steering pump line leak issues. I have tried everything to stop the leakage, teflon liquid, rtv, teflon tape. I am still getting dripping after each drive. Suggestions are much appreciated. It is adapted, so maybe that is the issue. I am about to braze the whole deal and say hell with it.

In addition to the steering upgrades, I have decided to dump the flow master Super 44's. They sound too much like glass packs. Had I know, would never have had them installed. I will be updating the exhaust this fall probably with a new muffler and will probably re-route exhaust out sides not rear of truck or dumping. Thinking about original FM40's or Spintech.

Also, I have purchased a set of 799 LS heads off a 5.3 to increase my compression. I will be going through these to refresh and install with a cam once I have decided what to go with. Just looking for a little more punch in the low rpm range. The truck still runs great and have been showing a good amount. At least till the paint starts to look like crap. I will be at Carlisle PA again this August at the trucks show. Should be a lot of fun.

More pics to come as I decide how to install the sway bar setup. I have seen some nice solutions out there. Just need to choose. I will do a writeup as well on the motor upgrades. Install, cam choice, results etc.

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

cmabolt 03-07-2023 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck (Post 9179030)
Nice truck any updates

Well, building a garage in march and will bring the truck to it's new home.
I will then have daily access to it and can take the pile of parts I have been collecting and start working on her again.

Can't wait. Building a 20'x30' garage and that should just help a lot with progress.

Louisvillekytruck 03-08-2023 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 9184575)
Well, building a garage in march and will bring the truck to it's new home.
I will then have daily access to it and can take the pile of parts I have been collecting and start working on her again.

Can't wait. Building a 20'x30' garage and that should just help a lot with progress.

That will be a nice size garage. What all have u bought for it .

cmabolt 08-16-2023 08:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Garage is a 20'x30' 10ft ceilings Pole barn. i framed the inside to run electric, insulate and eventually finish. Looking for a decent compressor at the moment. All my tools are pneumatic.
Pics below.

Louisvillekytruck 08-16-2023 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 9230663)
Garage is a 20'x30' 10ft ceilings Pole barn. i framed the inside to run electric, insulate and eventually finish. Looking for a decent compressor at the moment. All my tools are pneumatic.
Pics below.

Nice garage