The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Yet another GMC build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368649)

dsraven 04-06-2022 07:06 PM

Re: Yet another GMC build

thats gonna stick out like a sore thumb, wrong color....kidding.

looks really good. now the other side will go faster because you have it figured out now.

OKGMC4 04-26-2022 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting the other side. The best part of having a spare junk set of fenders is cutting the patches in one piece.

OKGMC4 07-19-2022 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear fenders 90 percent done. Did some filler and primer on the dash. Runs and all. Of course most of it will get block sanded off.

6DoF 07-19-2022 08:48 AM

wow, took my eye a minute to see the dash ... between the shadows and cardboard i wasn't sure what side was up :lol:

OKGMC4 07-29-2022 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vintage air had 3 outlets and Old Air has 4 so switching out the rectangular center vent to two round ones so all 4 will match now. Also working on a fiberglass / mdf center console that will cover the floor hump and also provide a nice phone charging spot with a cubby hole in the bottom of it.

OKGMC4 08-04-2022 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought about painting it orange but will probably wrap in black vinyl instead. No paint chipping off that way.

youngrodder 08-05-2022 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice center console with the built in cup holders. I made a similar one out of metal but I didn't think ahead to include cup holders.

Marc

6DoF 08-05-2022 08:56 AM

that turned out great, i'm really going to have to give that a try one of these days

OKGMC4 09-12-2022 04:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Starting to rebuild the door panels. Moisture in the doors had warped the cards and also the placement of the new air unit means I can’t keep the speakers in the kick panels so I’m moving them into the doors. At least I was able to remove the carpeted bottom sections and will able to re glue and staple them to the new door cards. Planning on installing moisture barriers this time for sure.

NWA58 09-12-2022 10:10 PM

Great job on the dash!

dsraven 09-13-2022 10:51 AM

nice job all around. it is great to have extra parts you can cut pieces from (rear fenders).
on the fiberglass, great idea, have you looked into foam as a form to work the fiberglass onto? actually, you would need to use an epoxy base as the fiberglass resin will likely melt the foam (found that out once when trying to mix a small batch in a styrofoam cup, lol). it is easily sanded to whatever contour you need and weighs very little. just thinking the door weight would be less and also the time spent cutting and assembling the wooden form would be more compared to the foam idea.
here is a guy who uses pink panther insulation foam, laminated together to a suitable sized block, then cut to the rough shape with a home made hot wire cutter, then sanded smooth etc etc. maybe an idea for a console or a speaker box for somebody who hasn't started that yet. anyway, the motorcycle seat this guy makes isn't much differently shaped than a console. just some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAinuf5I_dw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtvnRVtNVpk

OKGMC4 09-13-2022 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The console was formed over stacked 1/2” insulation board that was covered with dry erase board and the seams were taped with aluminum tape, them covered with painters plastic. I built the storage area from stacked wood rings because it just seemed easier. I still need to make a lid.

The speaker pods, I used wood because it was fast and easy, but also because I thought of a decent way to mount them without visible fasteners. I used some brass inserts that require a 3/8 hole, thread into the wood, then you have a 1/4-20 bolt hole accessed from inside the door. That will also help hold the door panel once installed. They don’t weigh much and all the weight is close to the hinges so it shouldnt be like my old trans am doors that you had to lift to shut. I’ll have to check out those links.

dsraven 09-13-2022 09:25 PM

i've used those threaded inserts before as well. very handy. I wanna get one of those rivet style nutzert tools for sheet metal. one day when I have time I'll peruse amazon.

OKGMC4 09-16-2022 08:58 AM

Watched all the videos in the links. Very informative. Made me feel like my previous glass work is terrible. Then I ended up following other youtube links and watched several videos on how to fabricate entire race car bodies. Now I wanna build a dune buggy!

OKGMC4 09-26-2022 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate paint and bodywork. This time seems to be just as obnoxious as last time. Less hammer and dolly work but loads more scuffing and sanding. Plus feathering paint chips and fixing breakthrough rust spots here and there. There will be lots of taping and masking…last time I painted unassembled. Due to space I may paint the bed and set it outside, then paint the cab half. Now that it’s not 100 plus degrees every day it’s easier to work outside.

dsraven 09-26-2022 09:16 AM

I find if I do a panel at a time I can make progress and be done that panel and feel like I am closer to being done. There are a lot of smaller goals but the finish line for each is closer so I feel like I am not tackling such a big job.

OKGMC4 10-13-2022 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting to paint the truck …..and also the house. Oops. I can fix that. 15 minutes after this photo a mosquito landed in the middle of this door. Sigh. I can fix that too.

57FleetsideC4 10-14-2022 09:16 AM

The wife is not going to like that!! Just kidding it looks great. Steve

slammed57 10-15-2022 10:30 AM

great job on the fender, everything is lookin good

6DoF 10-19-2022 01:37 PM

the paint work (on the doors) looks great!

that suuuux dude

OKGMC4 10-21-2022 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Trying to make more progress.

joedoh 10-22-2022 10:00 AM

good googly moogly that is pretty!

OKGMC4 10-26-2022 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today was an ok day to paint. Warm and no real wind. Got my back fenders and gas cap covered. A lady at work asked me if I knew who could paint the inserts on her husbands electric wheelchair. I asked her what color. She tells me they are blue but he wants them orange because he’s a big OSU fan. I just laughed and had her bring them to me.

G&R's57GMC 10-26-2022 10:30 PM

Coming along nicely , looking great !

6DoF 10-27-2022 08:59 AM

haha, holy crap! talk about perfect timing, the starts aligning, good Carma, and dumb luck all coming together