The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Our Trucks Doing What They Did - Vintage Photo Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767843)

MiraclePieCo 06-17-2021 12:17 AM

Re: Our Trucks Doing What They Did - Vintage Photo Thread

I just checked: hard to believe that a Toyota Prius actually weighs more than a 1955 Chevy pickup, so would push the Chevy truck backward in a crash.

1955 Chevy 1/2-ton truck: 3355 lbs
2021 Toyota Prius: 3378 - 3406 lbs (depending on option package, per Car and Driver magazine)

MiraclePieCo 08-25-2021 03:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Moss Heavy Haul:

Palf70Step 08-25-2021 05:47 AM

Seriously cool picture.

_Ogre 08-25-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8962493)
Moss Heavy Haul:

that is a cool pic, any idea where it was taken?
i was driving up nort a couple weeks ago, thinking that you rarely see a line of traffic behind a truck, like you see in that pic or used to see in the 60s. i remember road trips in the family wagon where we'd get behind a half mile of cars, going up hill at 20 mph. those old trucks were seriously underpowered compared to today's trucks.

mick53 08-25-2021 03:34 PM

On my last job we had 5 tanks 18' diameter 155' long. we closed down US 30 for 3 hours getting them on site. Some people just didn't understand.

MiraclePieCo 08-25-2021 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like an AD pickup in the line of vehicles behind too.

MARTINSR 08-26-2021 08:12 AM

Wow!

Russell Ashley 08-26-2021 10:43 AM

That locomotive doesn't look like it was strapped down.

daveshilling 08-26-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 8963035)
That locomotive doesn't look like it was strapped down.

"we're only going a mile down the road, no big deal"

G&R's57GMC 08-28-2021 10:01 PM

Headline News ....

Train derails on overpass ... Lands on a line of trucks !

Traffic was spared delays as derailing train on overpass fall onto a line of Flatbed trucks going under in perfect timing to catch all the cars as they fell .

Police and train employees astounded , no injuries reported .

The trucks kept going to a site farther down the rail line so the train could be craned back onto the track . The train continued on with a new crew .

1project2many 09-07-2021 02:06 PM

"This may work for one or two trips but I still think we need to figure out how to fix the brakes so the locomotive can pull the train back down the mountain."

"That's the legendary Narrow Gauge of Poughkeepsie, cursed to travel the country in search of the line that never was."

"The engine looks good, sure, but have you checked out that caboose?"

MARTINSR 09-08-2021 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh damn do I love this one!

Brian

vintovka 09-08-2021 10:45 PM

Wow!

MARTINSR 09-09-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8968388)
Wow!

Right? I love seeing those seams on the cowl and the A pillar isn't even installed yet. Damn I want to see more of these photos.

Brian

_Ogre 09-09-2021 11:19 AM

i'd certainly like to see more of those assembly pics
flip down 2x4 welding helmet... he has to flip it up to reposition the spot welder every time
nothing like todays body shop, conveyor cycles and 50 robotic welders come in at once
it's pretty wild if you've never seen it happen

_Ogre 09-11-2021 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hardly a vintage picture, as it was taken this week...
this was sent to me by my bro-in-law from great basin national park

dsraven 09-11-2021 10:39 AM

Now THAT is a set of mirrors and side pipes too!

MiraclePieCo 09-11-2021 06:55 PM

Getting there is half the fun!

HO455 09-16-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8969332)
hardly a vintage picture, as it was taken this week...
this was sent to me by my bro-in-law from great basin national park

Everytime I see one of those Task Force 4x4 Suburbans I kick myself for not buying the one I came across back in 88. Even though at the time it was the right decision I still regret passing it up.

Keith Seymore 09-16-2021 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8968608)
i'd certainly like to see more of those assembly pics
flip down 2x4 welding helmet... he has to flip it up to reposition the spot welder every time
nothing like todays body shop, conveyor cycles and 50 robotic welders come in at once
it's pretty wild if you've never seen it happen

I'm guessing after he's done it 3 or 4 hundred times he can reposition the spot welder without looking or flipping his helmet up and down.

;)

Now that I think about it: my guys didn't even wear a helmet or goggles, or coveralls. Just street clothes.

I had a sweater that had a bunch of holes burned in it, because they could control the direction the sparks would shoot and they would aim them at me (just for fun).

Flint Line 2 (Blazer and Suburban) cab shop shown. Line 2 was an old school manual process. Flint Line 1 (pickups) was highly automated; you fed panels in one end and a pickup cab popped out the other.

vintovka 09-16-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8968385)

Brian

I always wondered how they assembled cabs especially the door openings. I needed to replace a door on mine and found many variations in door fit. Had to try like 5 or 6 and finally found one that was close but not perfect. BTW never back up with your door open, especially around trees!!

Keith Seymore 09-16-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8971438)
I always wondered how they assembled cabs especially the door openings. I needed to replace a door on mine and found many variations in door fit. Had to try like 5 or 6 and finally found one that was close but not perfect. BTW never back up with your door open, especially around trees!!

The doors should be pretty stable, since they were all stamped in one piece (ie, one die line for the inner; one die line for the outer).

The variation would be in the door opening as a result of piecing it together from all the separate bits. That's why vehicles today the door opening (or entire body side) is stamped from one piece: to minimize that variation.

K

MARTINSR 09-17-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8971438)

The doors that are on my truck are a quarter inch different in length at the body line! Yep, they can be goofy fit for sure!

Brian

MARTINSR 09-17-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8968385)

Brian

I had a 5x7 of this printed out and it's on my garage wall. :metal:

Brian

vintovka 09-17-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8971969)
The doors that are on my truck are a quarter inch different in length at the body line! Yep, they can be goofy fit for sure!

Brian

Maybe why so many of us have difficulties fitting weather-stripping. Had i known it would cause problems i woulda kept original door.

MiraclePieCo 09-18-2021 03:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Newspaper ad:

special-K 09-18-2021 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, that ain't workin'. Or maybe that is a traveling work unit. I'm thinking yes.

MARTINSR 09-20-2021 05:34 PM

Damn I love this thread!

Thanks for posting guys.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 09-22-2021 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chevy truck:

MARTINSR 09-22-2021 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Leading the seams.

Brian

vintovka 09-22-2021 10:00 AM

Looks like those years of lead exposure have taken a toll on that poor guy.

MARTINSR 09-23-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8974527)
Looks like those years of lead exposure have taken a toll on that poor guy.

Especially since he was only 28 in the photo! :mm:

Brian

Dan in Pasadena 09-23-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8974954)
Especially since he was only 28 in the photo! :mm:

Brian

Funny but might not be crazy far from the truth. I wish we could find out but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was in his mid 50's. Of course the likelihood is in addition to all the lead fumes he was exposed to he was smoking a couple packs of Camels in those days and having a few hard ones after work.

These are what some people call, The "Good Old Days"??????

vintovka 09-23-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8975374)
Funny but might not be crazy far from the truth. I wish we could find out but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was in his mid 50's. Of course the likelihood is in addition to all the lead fumes he was exposed to he was smoking a couple packs of Camels in those days and having a few hard ones after work.

These are what some people call, The "Good Old Days"??????

We were taught in Ind Hygiene that the wives of German leadminers may have had up to 5 husbands in a lifetime and they, themselves, died very young having come in contact with contaminated miners clothes.

MARTINSR 09-26-2021 01:17 PM

I just saw this photo of a woman's hand who painted clock dials in the 30's with paint that had radium in it. :(

Brian

https://i2.wp.com/we-make-money-not-...size=700%2C936

vintovka 09-26-2021 04:09 PM

Worse yet is some would moisten their brushes with their tongues to "paint" the radium on watch dials and hands.

Used to bring my small geiger to antique/military collectible shows and shock the h-ll out of those with radioactive stuff like clocks, watches, aircraft instruments and compasses. Got some real deals (often free) on low level stuff from those who would not accept items in question were barely above background. Dumb ones would not accept fact that background radiation is natural. Have a nice collection of "donations". Look up Patek.

Dan in Pasadena 09-26-2021 11:15 PM

UGH! I'm gonna need some eye bleach to get rid of this image.

Please, do NOT show the mouth of a person that moistened their tongue with salvia while using radium infused paint!

I'll post this here. Interesting; though tragic reading.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ra...int/index.html

_Ogre 09-27-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8976464)
I just saw this photo of a woman's hand who painted clock dials in the 30's with paint that had radium in it. :(

that's terrifying brian... but heck with the 30s, they quit licking the brushes in the 30s, but manufacturers used radium clock faces until 1970. ceramic dishes still had radium in the glazes until 1973. wonderful life before osha and the epa (both in 1970)

https://www.epa.gov/radtown/radioactivity-antiques

my father had a couple oz of pure liquid mercury in a glass jar in our basement. no lid, just masking tape over the top. we'd tip the jar over and a couple drops would sneak by the tape, into a tray and rub it on pennies with our fingers. the pennies looked like dimes after that and my brother and i would spend our 'dimes'

vintovka 09-27-2021 05:44 PM

Was a Hazmat Engr for a couple years and things got a little too scary for me so Went to work with Solid Waste. Even there it was hairy. Our geigers went off all the time at landfills and transfer station. Seems stuff from 1900's is still "hot" like radioactive ceramic jars that drug stores sold water out of to dentists xray "sources" to chemo stuff. Love to switch mine to gamma and watch folks cover their privates when natural rays set it off.

MARTINSR 09-28-2021 01:00 PM

Damn I love these assembly line photos!

https://scontent.fboi1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...31&oe=6178314B