The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762114)

N2TRUX 01-18-2020 01:27 PM

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

2 Attachment(s)
Before surgery I delivered Jake to Aaron's new body shop.
The plan is to get the panel gaps dialed in. Once that's accomplished he will block sand and top with Tamco 2k sealer.
Heres the results so far

LT7A 01-18-2020 11:00 PM

Ken, that's a rough go with the eyeball. Take good care of yourself. The truck just keeps getting sharper.

superdav 01-19-2020 03:08 AM

feeling horribly envious right now

N2TRUX 01-19-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8661989)
Ken, that's a rough go with the eyeball. Take good care of yourself. The truck just keeps getting sharper.

The surgery was a bit uncomfortable, but the recovery was a test in my patience. Haveing to remain face down for such an extended period was no easy task.

N2TRUX 01-19-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdav (Post 8662084)
feeling horribly envious right now

Dont be envious, be motivated. If a one eyed old man can do it, I'm sure you can too.:metal:

rustytruck50 01-19-2020 02:09 PM

Looks great, Ken!! Really like the Bowtie on the GMC grille...cant explain why...probably because I haven't seen it done before! That grille is a bit of a unicorn. I hadn't seen one in a long time before you posted. Then, right after, a guy on Marketplace had one....funny how that works. Btw...glad to see you didn't let that silly little eye issue slow you down:jdp:;)
Seriously, glad to hear you're doing better!

SCOTI 01-19-2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8662253)
The surgery was a bit uncomfortable, but the recovery was a test in my patience. Haveing to remain face down for such an extended period was no easy task.

Wow! Glad the surgery was successful. I must ask though.... How the heck did you remain face down for the extended period & what caused the 'detachment'?

N2TRUX 01-20-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8662306)
Looks great, Ken!! Really like the Bowtie on the GMC grille...cant explain why...probably because I haven't seen it done before! That grille is a bit of a unicorn. I hadn't seen one in a long time before you posted. Then, right after, a guy on Marketplace had one....funny how that works. Btw...glad to see you didn't let that silly little eye issue slow you down:jdp:;)
Seriously, glad to hear you're doing better!

Thank you sir. I won't say that I'm the first to do a bowtie in a GMC grill. I can say that its not common. Now that Key Parts is reproducing the 73-74 Chevrolet grill, that has become a very popular conversion. I decided to do it with a twist.

N2TRUX 01-20-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8662407)
Wow! Glad the surgery was successful. I must ask though.... How the heck did you remain face down for the extended period & what caused the 'detachment'?

Surprisingly, its not painful so I have no idea when it acually started. From my research, I didnt have to "do" anything to have a detached retina. It is actually quite common in males, with near sited vision, over the age of 60.

How do you lay face down? Not comfortably, I assure you. I rented a masseuse style chair but it didn't work that well. Instead I sat in an arm chair and stacked pillows on my lap. I layed face down with a horse shoe shaped cushion to support my face.

I sucked it up for a week and was fortunate the doctor released my to be upright the following week.

rodstored-72 01-20-2020 11:22 PM

Ken, sorry to hear about the eye emergency. Very glad that it went well. I understand the sleeping discomfort. A few years ago I hurt 2 disks in my neck & the doctor had me sleep flat on my back on a "firm" surface IE: floor. aarrggg. I think we can let you take a few days off from the build updates.....:smoke:;):lol:

Factory Guy 01-29-2020 11:31 PM

I like it!

N2TRUX 02-08-2020 11:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Its been a while so lets get this up to date. i got Jake home from the bodyshop. Aaron allowed some of his helpers to spray the Tamco 2k while he was busy putting out fires on his day job. After two attempts, time and materials ran out so i picked it up. Its not as nice as the last time it was sprayed but it will be blocked a couple more times before the final color goes on.

N2TRUX 02-08-2020 11:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Chris worked on wiring the United Pacific LED lights while I pulled the front bumper, grill, etc apart. I wanted to update the lighting system without straying to far from the vintage look. I think I found a good compromise.

N2TRUX 02-08-2020 12:05 PM

The headlights are full LED with a a white halo for daytime running lights. The white halo changes to orange when the blinker is turned on. United Pacific doesn't offer complete park light assemblies so we used a LIX Lights inside Brothers Truck Parts housings with new lenses.

Heres the finshed product on my Instagram feed LINK

N2TRUX 02-09-2020 12:54 AM

6 Attachment(s)
After Christian got the front lights working he moved inside the cab. While I focused on the rear suspension, he laid out the Vibro Solutions acoustical dampener. He lined the perimeter of the roof skin with 2 mm sound deadner. He ran another strip down the middle of the cab.
He topped that with a strip of 7 mm acoustical dampener above the seating area on each side of the roof.

N2TRUX 02-09-2020 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 7 mm material is a combination of 2 mm butyl resonance dampener combined with 5mm acoustic absorbing material. This same material is used in new cars to reduce interior noise.

Heres a short video showing the results. LINK

SCOTI 02-09-2020 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8675209)
The 7 mm material is a combination of 2 mm butyl resonance dampener combined with 5mm acoustic absorbing material. This same material is used in new cars to reduce interior noise.

Heres a short video showing the results. LINK

I'm going to check the info out & might try it. The stuff I used on the dually worked well but it was a PITA.

N2TRUX 02-09-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8675227)
I'm going to check the info out & might try it. The stuff I used on the dually worked well but it was a PITA.

Scoti when we finished the install you could literally hear the cab was quieter.

moregrip 02-10-2020 12:28 AM

the newer sound deadening products in black look alot better than the old aluminum stuff! Nice work!

SCOTI 02-10-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8675737)
Scoti when we finished the install you could literally hear the cab was quieter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moregrip
the newer sound deadening products in black look alot better than the old aluminum stuff! Nice work!

The products I used did as well. The big-block, 1 3/4" full length headers, & 3" exhaust is barely notable w/the doors shut. But, I would prefer something that's possibly easier to work with as the stuff I used was a PITA once everything was piled on top of each other.

N2TRUX 02-10-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8675903)
The products I used did as well. The big-block, 1 3/4" full length headers, & 3" exhaust is barely notable w/the doors shut. But, I would prefer something that's possibly easier to work with as the stuff I used was a PITA once everything was piled on top of each other.

The 2 mm is very pliable. It is indented with small square in a grid pattern to make it very flexible.

The 7 mm is a bit harder to work with. Its a 5 mm high density "felt" type material that is layered on 2 mm butyl. We used a small roller and the side of a spray paint can to conform it to the curves.

SCOTI 02-10-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8676083)
The 2 mm is very pliable. It is indented with small square in a grid pattern to make it very flexible.

The 7 mm is a bit harder to work with. Its a 5 mm high density "felt" type material that is layered on 2 mm butyl. We used a small roller and the side of a spray paint can to conform it to the curves.

That sounds like the difference between our installs. Mine has the vibration isolation material; then dense, close cell foam for sound isolation, & then that's topped w/a MLV sheeting/noise barrier. Once the carpet was added (that still had jute padding in some areas) it was a handful to get things in place. Seat bracket holes, console mounting, door sill trim, air-line routing, seatbelt mounts etc.... I know you know how that all plays out.

I haven't purchased the materials beyond the vibration isolation/butyl pads leftover from the Dually (I ordered enough for two builds @ the time). So I'm prob going to give the stuff a try on the 64.

N2TRUX 02-12-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8676212)
That sounds like the difference between our installs. Mine has the vibration isolation material; then dense, close cell foam for sound isolation, & then that's topped w/a MLV sheeting/noise barrier.....

Thats close to what I will have on the floor. I plan to use 2 mm butyl along the outer edge where the rockers reduce resonance. In the middle of the floor pan where resonance and heat transfer is a concern, I will go with 5 mm butyl. All of this will be topped with Vibro 6 mm high density foam.

aggie91 02-14-2020 11:11 AM

Looks good Ken. Looks like my progress on Henry has need non-existent for the last few weeks, as the weather has not cooperated with us here in East Texas. Without a shop or garage, it is hard to get anything done in the rain. I hope to catch up with y'all next weekend!

zden 02-26-2020 01:54 PM

Went to LST last Saturday. My wife asked me "how many times are we gonna pass this same truck" hahaha. Jake looked just as good in person. Keep up the good work!

TKCR 02-27-2020 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Ken,
What would you suggest using to cover all the openings on the doors, before putting the panel back on? I looked that stuff up, that you used on Scarlet, but can’t get it here in the US anymore.

TKCR 02-27-2020 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nevermind Ken, I went back thru your post on Scarlet. I must have passed over where you used this also.. This is what I’ll use! I hope I can make it look as nice as yours, lol.

LT7A 05-22-2020 05:47 AM

Hey Ken, I hope you and your family are doing well during this covid business. Checking to see if you guys have gotten some time in on this rig. I always enjoy watching the process. I probably have more notes on various products from your builds than any others. Hope you can make time to catch us up.

N2TRUX 06-03-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8744129)
Hey Ken, I hope you and your family are doing well during this covid business. Checking to see if you guys have gotten some time in on this rig. I always enjoy watching the process. I probably have more notes on various products from your builds than any others. Hope you can make time to catch us up.

Unfortunatly this pandemic fiasco has not been kind to me or my company. I have essentially been with zero income for about 10 weeks now. Consequently I have shifted gears and gone in to hustle mode.

What that means is I cant justify spending time or money on anything that doesnt net a return on my effort and investment. I have been buying late model trucks to detail and sell. Its not something I necessarily enjoy doing, but it keeps me busy during a time when I cant do much else.

My hopes are this will pass soon and I can get back to working on Jake.

LT7A 06-04-2020 07:45 AM

Sorry to hear it and I certainly understand the situation. I'm lucky to be in a spot where my trucks need more elbow grease than anything else, haha. Helping me keep from going too crazy. The numbers with the virus seem to be going in the right direction in a lot of places so hopefully you'll be back up and running soon. In the meantime, if you have any interest in starting a thread with your late model spiff-ups, I'd be interested to watch the parade.

aggie91 06-04-2020 09:23 AM

sorry to hear about what COVID has done to you and your business. It has finally hit home with me, as the company I work for announced yesterday that we ALL have to take a 2 week furlough before the end of September. Luckily they are not 2 consecutive weeks, so over the course of a 4 week period, I will only loose half my pay. I am going to use the time to finish projects at the house & on the truck where I have been collecting parts and just need time to do the work. Focus on not spending money on any extras and try to pick up a few side jobs to make up some of the lost income. One week I will go spend with my parents at the farm and help them and go to the Fredericksburg Swap Meet to unload some of my extra parts...

Palf70Step 06-04-2020 10:36 AM

:agree: Sorry to hear how it has impacted ya'll. Hopefully things will get rolling again for you folks.

FRENCHBLUE72 09-28-2022 09:20 AM

anynews on jake?

SCOTI 09-28-2022 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 9128631)
anynews on jake?

He hasn't done anything to it per my last conversation w/him. Making money to pay the bills are the priority. He said he hopes to get back on it next year.

FRENCHBLUE72 09-28-2022 10:41 AM

Thanks for the update scoti it's been awhile since I've been on the boards just trying to get caught up. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of builds have halted due to covid..

N2TRUX 09-28-2022 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9128643)
He hasn't done anything to it per my last conversation w/him. Making money to pay the bills are the priority. He said he hopes to get back on it next year.

Scoti is correct. I spent 2020 trying to survive zero income. I was blessed with the ability to hustle deals, and we managed to recover in 21 and 22.

One of the many ways I was able to supplement my income was buying, refurbishing, and selling golf carts. I have managed to build a thriving repair and resale business. That has taken a priority in consuming my available evening hours.

With that said, I have been making plans to resurrect Jake from hibernation. I'm going to stop worrying about getting him painted and finish up everything else than needs to be completed.

I promise I'll post updates as soon as they begin.

FRENCHBLUE72 09-29-2022 08:56 AM

Thays great that you were able to start a new business during all the covid crap.

Chaplain 10-01-2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 9128855)
Scoti is correct. I spent 2020 trying to survive zero income. I was blessed with the ability to hustle deals, and we managed to recover in 21 and 22.

One of the many ways I was able to supplement my income was buying, refurbishing, and selling golf carts. I have managed to build a thriving repair and resale business. That has taken a priority in consuming my available evening hours.

With that said, I have been making plans to resurrect Jake from hibernation. I'm going to stop worrying about getting him painted and finish up everything else than needs to be completed.

I promise I'll post updates as soon as they begin.

:hi2: