The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401176)

71K20chevy 03-01-2013 06:07 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Beat out a couple dents today on mine :)

Mister-B 03-01-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBONE1964 (Post 5920264)
Sometimes if our trucks run without a gate for a while and get loaded (used for a truck) The sides of the bed will spread out. A come-a-long is a tool that you can use to hook in the stake pockets and pull the bed sides back to there original location. It sometimes is not even noticable to the eye but has an impact on the gate latching.

It does not sound like you have this problem. If your gaps between the bed sides and the gate are good then I would check the latch it self. Is it extending out as far as it can. These are spring loaded and sometimes the springs get weak. That with some natural aging will make them stick. make surte it is coming all the way out. use the good side as a guide.

If the latch is working as it should, you may have to shim it out. I would start with some 3/8 flat washers and stack them to about a 1/4 inch thick and place them in between the latch and the gate. If you have a way to cut a slot in the washers, then you don't have to remove the bolts all the way.

Look at the photos that magwakeenercew2jh posted above. You can either shim the latch in the gate or shim the stricker that is bolted to the bed side.

Thanks! Sounds like I need some washers
Posted via Mobile Device

midniteblues 03-01-2013 07:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
picked up some red oak today from the local lumber mill for my stepper
the guy said its was only cut 4 days ago. so after getting it home I "sticked"
it up in the far corner of the garage so it can dry out.
you can see its still really wet.
good deal for $45
hopefully It dont get too bowed or checked

planing/doing my build i hope too too be installing it sometime next spring:lol:

here's the kids bed i did with wood from the same mill it sat for a year also. his is wet and dirty

THE BOSS 03-01-2013 07:56 PM

i mounted 1 of my new 36" Super Swamper Irock on a new black matte finished rim, put one the truck, drank 3 beers looking at it trying to decide if i like the rim color?

i like chrome shinny things!

there's not many options in 15" X 10" wide 8 lug any more.

i bought the new never used tires first from a privet seller super cheap then had to find rims.

Chris Binnett 03-01-2013 09:12 PM

I stuck on one 2.5" drop spindle, only to find out my Rally wheels don't fit any more. I have the 8" ones from a truck, so now I have to find a pair from a van :cuss:

The driver side bottom ball joint is stuck so I'll beat on it some more in the AM. Then off to the local yards on a rim hunt! There are a ton of chevy trucks and vans at the local pick n pull.

C

buckskins4ever 03-01-2013 09:13 PM

I got my new Ridler 695 20x8.5 and 20x10 mounted today.....wished I could figure out how to download pics.

THE BOSS 03-02-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckskins4ever (Post 5921420)
I got my new Ridler 695 20x8.5 and 20x10 mounted today.....wished I could figure out how to download pics.

i use photobucket.com
a free site, upload there, copy paste to here.
first upload at photobucket
with 2 tabs opened, on there one there
find IMG code near the picture you uploaded, click on IMG code and it automatically copies, tab back to here and paste where put your messages/comments.

click enter after paste if you do more than 1 picture, the pasted code must on it's own line. hit enter twice, three times to put space between the pictures if you want.

you can also click on preview here to see what it will look like before you submit it.

Jarwood 03-02-2013 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Carpet in and seats mounted.

Bassman53 03-02-2013 05:45 PM

I stripped the andonizing off the grille of my 72- will be sanding on some this week

damianbryand 03-02-2013 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decorated my air compressor and prepped the dash I got from the junkyard while my truck is being delivered to my house.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trsmotrhed 03-02-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarwood (Post 5922846)
Carpet in and seats mounted.

Really like the look of the seats with the leather? I have the same seat in cloth and would really like to do what you did. Was that a kit or you have someone recover them. Thx
Posted via Mobile Device

Z10 03-02-2013 10:21 PM

Put my serpentine system and valve covers on the new ZZ4. :clap:

:gmc2:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...p/IMG_0228.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...p/IMG_0229.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...p/IMG_0233.jpg

buckskins4ever 03-02-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE BOSS (Post 5922125)
i use photobucket.com
a free site, upload there, copy paste to here.
first upload at photobucket
with 2 tabs opened, on there one there
find IMG code near the picture you uploaded, click on IMG code and it automatically copies, tab back to here and paste where put your messages/comments.

click enter after paste if you do more than 1 picture, the pasted code must on it's own line. hit enter twice, three times to put space between the pictures if you want.

you can also click on preview here to see what it will look like before you submit it.

Thanks, I finally gor it figured out with help from another member. gonna get a few pics uploaded soon.

buckskins4ever 03-02-2013 10:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got the interior seats and door panels about two months ago, they are Grey Ultra Leather, with black Ostrich and Orange Vinyl inserts.
Shortly there after put in the Flame River Polished Aluminum Titl Steering and Grant Signature Series Steering wheel.

got the Dakota Digital HFX Dash installed on Friday afternoon just in time to go down to install the Ridler 695 Chrome rims.

eldogg 03-02-2013 10:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finished building the front clip for my brother's 65 GMC. OOO yeah I had to build a new tool too. Anybody guess what it is/does?

Jarwood 03-03-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trsmotrhed (Post 5923217)
Really like the look of the seats with the leather? I have the same seat in cloth and would really like to do what you did. Was that a kit or you have someone recover them. Thx
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

They were cloth out of a 2003 truck. I had them covered with a local upholstery shop. They are not real leather...but only cost me $300. Thats with any color combination or type. I picked the preforated red in center.

Trsmotrhed 03-03-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarwood (Post 5923785)
Thanks!

They were cloth out of a 2003 truck. I had them covered with a local upholstery shop. They are not real leather...but only cost me $300. Thats with any color combination or type. I picked the preforated red in center.

Thanks for the info. Really like the look.
Posted via Mobile Device

thelonerife 03-03-2013 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
started smoothing my fenders. I'm going with porter built hinges. Not done.

jjhare 03-03-2013 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Helped my son paint the engine!! and we got some more of the 40 year old crud scraped off other parts!

mightymouse 03-03-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldogg (Post 5923458)
I finished building the front clip for my brother's 65 GMC. OOO yeah I had to build a new tool too. Anybody guess what it is/does?

is it to help press the bushings

magwakeenercew2jh 03-03-2013 07:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After playing around in the Ign Unfused portion of the fuse box to hook up a direct like to the HEI yesterday or the day before, I was sure
I had dislodged the cluster feed wire, since my headlight adjustment test last night had me in the dark....as far as the dash lights go, at least.

Looked under there today.....with a flashlight. Everything was hooked up as I had left it. The 3A Cluster Feed fuse looked good.

But I had slept on the issue last night and couldn't figure out what else could have been the problem. So, I pulled the fuse and gave
it a good look in the sun. Looked good. My eyes are pretty good. I trust them.

But those squiggly-lined 3A fuses are tricky. So I decided to put the continuity tester on it. Bad fuse. Not bad anywhere I could tell
even after taking it over to the bench and shining a light on it with different backgrounds behind the glass tube. Still...Bad tube.

New fuse in. Dash lights on.

Just a tip for anyone else who trusts his eyes more than his brain....Like me.

Here's two "starts" (used two different cabs), and the "stop" (for now). :lol:

ksucatz 03-04-2013 02:17 AM

Well, not really today, but thought I would share.
What started out as a a simple replacing the temperature gauge turned into a refurbishing of the gauge cluster. I took everything apart, cleaned the bezel, blasted and repainted, and painted all the needles. I then decided to go a little further and converted the ammeter to a voltage gauge. Happened to find a voltmeter from a early 80's era truck in the boneyard. The actual mechanicals are identical to the early trucks, so all it took was swapping the face from my old ammeter to the new gauge, and install the original needle. It is set so when in the middle it indicates 13 VDC. I think this will be much more useful for indication.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P...3/IMAG0107.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...3/IMAG0105.jpg

If I was a little more ambitious, I might of had a new overlay made for the gauge, but will be happy with this.
Oh and the gauge was a freebie, total cost including the new temp gauge and paint, is about $49. Not too bad for a couple evening's work.

PAWS 72 03-04-2013 02:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Went to mom and dad's. Got to going through some of my grandparents papers that mother had questions about I found a bunch of interesting old stuff my Granddad brought back from the service with him.He never did talk about the Army but about him and his twin brother's escapades they had.

I posted some pics in the cool old car section. But look here.....Guys I miss him

eldogg 03-04-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymouse (Post 5925028)
is it to help press the bushings

Yeah. I'm all the time using sockets to press things and got tired of having my hand in the line of fire. Safety First Kids! lol.

midniteblues 03-04-2013 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I must be makeing some kinda progress 2 posts on the same page

I'm stoked i picked up this original paint rust free 67 step fender from cl last nite.it has a flange! a complete rust free flange!
it has a few small dings nothing that couldnt be tapped out
I wont need too weld on this one:metal:
parts like this are unheard of here in pa;)

the fell'a i got it from said he was a board member but hasnt been on in a while and couldnt remember his board name.
its just cool too meet other truck guys in the area