The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Johns 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734699)

Johns 66 09-02-2020 08:59 PM

Re: Johns 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8801972)
Was great seeing all the progress on the truck John. The Journey is the best part of these builds..

Thanks Scott, been sort of an ordeal with the bolt issues but we are on they way now!!!!

Johns 66 09-02-2020 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Welp...on mo piece to da puzzle. I want to thank 60-66 ( Jon) for selling me this NOS tailgate for my truck., he is an awesome guy ....this is the way you pack stuff right here.
Itll be going to the body shop when I take the cab.

roll_the_dice 09-02-2020 10:41 PM

That's purdy! Congrats...like Christmas in September!

Johns 66 09-04-2020 03:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
DISCLAIMER: You might get a lil more than a tecnical build in my thread...lol....jus sayin

So while eating a hotdog today, before I wash my truck I went shopping.lol, lol, lol LOL

As stated before its the journey, and my journey led me to Columbus, Ms where I got a hood, and a decent set of doors, on my way back I stopped for a coke and got another hood.
One of the doors will need a lil work on the door bottom. So since I THINK I have gotten the welder figured out Im going to attempt to put aan inner door bottom on it....when I get time from all my social media stuff....lol
Seriously I did get some real good parts. Dont need them but good original parts are hard to find and maybe one of my social media followers .....lol...may need them one day

Captainfab 09-04-2020 10:26 PM

Nice score!

roll_the_dice 09-04-2020 10:43 PM

Looks great John....nothing like the journey...and the memories that they make!

SCOTI 09-05-2020 01:32 PM

Picking up momentum now!

DPowers 09-05-2020 04:47 PM

Dont need them but good original parts are hard to find and maybe one of my social media followers .....lol...may need them one day[/QUOTE]

So that was you that had posted them on FB.

Johns 66 09-05-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8803546)
Picking up momentum now!

Yes Sir....and so very glad
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPowers (Post 8803617)
Dont need them but good original parts are hard to find and maybe one of my social media followers .....lol...may need them one day

So that was you that had posted them on FB.[/QUOTE]

I posted that I got them yesterday, one hood and the doors were in Columbus, Ms so a lil bit of a drive.

The other hood was local.

Johns 66 09-05-2020 05:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More progress today. Got the frame off the cab, got the outside of the frame cleaned up and sprayed with flat black rattle can (all I had and didnt wanna go to the store) the took the front steering linlage apart and got the new linkage together and roughly set to length.
Ill get so.e semi gloss rattle can and get the frame painted up.

Cab, doors and rest of the stuff will go to the body shop on Tuesday. While its there Ill get the remaining things done on the frame, cleane the inside, clean the rear end housing, cross member etc all clean and get them painted up, and install the new rear springs while Im at it along with new trailing arm bushing.

One mo step in the process!!!!

Riverstory 09-05-2020 06:50 PM

Bravo John. Nice score on the hoods!

Johns 66 09-05-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverstory (Post 8803679)
Bravo John. Nice score on the hoods!

Thanks Mark...glad they got you situated so you can join in.

Johns 66 09-08-2020 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well got the rest of ole girl to the beauty shop today, and they had already started on the other parts. Because I did not want the hood blasted they sanded it back down to metal. Rest of it was blasted. Apparently I dont know how to mix primer because the body shop said it gummed up the sand paper...based on their experience I didnt put enough hardner in it. At least I know now what went wrong. So all the gummy and cracked primer is off.
Hate that I wasted all that time and effort but at least I learned something.

Anyway got the frame back in shop and I couldnt stand it...I just had to see how the wheels looked....lol
Plan is now to get the remainder of the frame, rear end etc....cleaned up and painted, new rear springs, new truck arm bushings, rear end cleaned and painted and new shocks.....

After that....mechanical stuff...lol

aggie91 09-09-2020 08:53 AM

Looking good!

roll_the_dice 09-09-2020 08:54 AM

New shoes! Very nice.

pdxhall 09-09-2020 12:28 PM

Your frame and wheels and tires are looking excellent.

Johns 66 09-10-2020 05:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more things done. I think in my inexperience I figured the back half of the frame would go pretty quick.....yeah right. I didnt take into account that 54 yrs of road grime, rust, krud and pretty much eveything you could think of would make it difficult to remove the u-bolts, and spring bolts. I used penetrating oil, wd 40 spit..lol and they were really tough.
Im not sure if its just the usage but the threads were pretty messed up on the u-bolts. Had to heat the upper spring bolts and ended up breaking them. Also the brake line connections were froze so I just cut them and will replace them.

I did get the trailing arm and panhard bar bushings out...not to bad after I read a thread from the board....just used a drill bilt and drilled around the rubber and they came out pretty easy.

I do have a little bit of welding to do. I cut 3in holes on the center cross member. My thoughts are I can run the exhaust through them i stead of under them. Im going to get a 1/4 plate for both sides and weld them in for strength...not sure I need them but better safe than sorry. I also got all the old brackets, old exhaust hangers and anything else that wasnt needed off the frame.....those 40 grit flapper disc on a 4i grinder work wonders on the rivets.

Last I got the frame, rear end, trailing arms, panhard bar painted....as well as the shocks....they were blue but as you can see I painted them red.....I think its a law in Alabama not to have any blue....lol

cwcarpenter98 09-10-2020 08:22 PM

"not a show truck" :lol:

Looks great! On the U bolts, make sure you get some new ones. I had a local driveshaft shop bend some up for me when I noticed mine had loosened. The 63 shop manual said to torque them to 230 ft lbs

roll_the_dice 09-10-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8806239)

Looks great! On the U bolts, make sure you get some new ones. I had a local driveshaft shop bend some up for me when I noticed mine had loosened. The 63 shop manual said to torque them to 230 ft lbs

It's such a show truck it's not funny! :lol:

Johns 66 09-10-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8806239)

I gotta get all the torque specs..right now everything is wrench tight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8806258)
It's such a show truck it's not funny! :lol:

You two are funny....if it was a show truck I would have had the frame powder coated instead of rattle canning it...better yet a custom frame...lol Thats why I painted the shocks....lol
Just remember pics look good from across the room...lol

15.00 in rattle can paint, 3 wire wheels and alot of time cleaning.

I had to buy new brake lines and bolts so lil more than I wanted to spend...also bought a rear brake spring kit to redo the brakes...7.00 wasnt bad.
I am going to change the rear wheel cylinders while everything is apart...just make good sense to do that...Ill keep the old ones just in case.

Johns 66 09-11-2020 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My thoughts exactly!!!!

pdxhall 09-12-2020 12:01 PM

Nice work on the frame. It's a tough job cleaning them up. How are you going to run the exhaust if you block off the holes in the crossmember?

Johns 66 09-12-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8807008)
Nice work on the frame. It's a tough job cleaning them up. How are you going to run the exhaust if you block off the holes in the crossmember?

Thanks....Im not going to block them off...I cut the 3in holes in to run the exhaust through the cross member instead of below it.
I was going to add a plate for strength with the same 3 in hole...basically just making it thicker where I cut it out.

Johns 66 09-12-2020 02:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Lil update for today.....got the new trailing arm bushings in and arms mounted, also got the new rear springs in as well....with all new grade 8 bolts.
Put the front shocks on just to see how the red looks...not too bad

SCOTI 09-13-2020 02:41 AM

Red shocks for the Bling!