The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

Metaldoc 07-13-2018 03:03 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas (Post 8299985)
worked on some paint imperfections that have been bothering me.
tried my hand at the 3M stuff. so far, i am very happy with the results and i've only gotten through the first (white cap) compound.

Looks great, try not to spend time on the edges as the buffer can burn through the paint. As you buff the flat sections stay off the edges, by the time you get a good shine on the flat the final buff will do the edges. Some guys tape over the sharp edges just in case.

Ol Blue K20 07-13-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8300469)
Looks great, try not to spend time on the edges as the buffer can burn through the paint. As you buff the flat sections stay off the edges, by the time you get a good shine on the flat the final buff will do the edges. Some guys tape over the sharp edges just in case.

I use the foam pads because they're a bit more forgiving on the edges

bill3rail 07-13-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas (Post 8299985)
worked on some paint imperfections that have been bothering me.
tried my hand at the 3M stuff. so far, i am very happy with the results and i've only gotten through the first (white cap) compound.

How bad were the imperfections and what 3M product did you use?

Bill

Boog 07-13-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 8300462)
The clutch pedal is gone, so a larger brake pedal pad was in order. The gas pedal to match eventually.

Care to share the low down on the brake pedal swap?

Steeveedee 07-13-2018 06:54 PM

Going to flush the cooling system. Changed the heater hoses, since they've been on there for 10+ years, and had cheesy shutoff valves in them that my FiL installed. I don't know why, since they were open and the heater core doesn't leak.

Looks like I need the kick panel vacuum actuator. This is for the flap that regulates inside or outside air for the AC. Anyone know a part number other than the LMC or other aftermarket vendor? It lives (and died) at the top of the heater core, just above the heater hoses. I'd like to get it done with locally sourced parts, but ain't having much luck finding one. Went to a local parts store, and the guy started looking through the vacuum advance pix for it. :lol:

stevenfromtexas 07-13-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8300469)

yes sir. thank you for the reminder. it was pretty intimidating. started on the lower areas "just in case" haha got through the "black pad/black lid" today. very happy with the subtle changes. gonna do the "blue pad" tomorrow.

beaterku 07-13-2018 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Test fit the rotor and caliper. Wilwood said these calipers would not fit with the CPP modular spindle. They fit like a glove! Buttoning this up tomorrow so it can go back on the ground for the first time in a couple of months.

stevenfromtexas 07-13-2018 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill3rail (Post 8300552)
How bad were the imperfections and what 3M product did you use?

Bill

im a rookie and i have an unconventional paint system. i bought a turbine spray rig from TpTool a year ago. the cap pressure is very low and i did not reduce the epoxy enough according to the guys i bought the sprayer from. the clear sprayed pretty orange-peely too. lots and lots of wet sanding. i actually enjoyed the experience, watching what looked like the moons surface smooth out to at least a 10' paint job.

here is the 3 bottles i got. wool pad with the white lid, black foam with black lid and yes, you guessed it......blue foam with blue lid

mygmctruck1 07-13-2018 10:04 PM

Today , I secured all the new fuel/ brakes lines to the frame , hooked up fuel line to fuel pump , from fuel pump tp carb.
Removed old manual steering box and prepped frame for new PS box.

Ol Blue K20 07-13-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas (Post 8300632)
im a rookie and i have an unconventional paint system. i bought a turbine spray rig from TpTool a year ago. the cap pressure is very low and i did not reduce the epoxy enough according to the guys i bought the sprayer from. the clear sprayed pretty orange-peely too. lots and lots of wet sanding. i actually enjoyed the experience, watching what looked like the moons surface smooth out to at least a 10' paint job.

here is the 3 bottles i got. wool pad with the white lid, black foam with black lid and yes, you guessed it......blue foam with blue lid

You're using what I normally use and it's great stuff. I've used it for years and it's awesome.

Ol Blue K20 07-13-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas (Post 8300632)

You're using what I normally use and it's great stuff. I've used it for years and it's awesome.

stevenfromtexas 07-14-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8300691)

i bought some Mequires a while back with harbor freight pads. i couldnt figure out which liquid to use. this stuff is a no-brainer. I'm sold on it!!

OregonNed 07-14-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8300553)
Care to share the low down on the brake pedal swap?

The pedal pad is a Lokar product and very easy to install. I just pulled the stock pad and laid out and drilled four holes for the stainless screws supplied in the pedal arm.

OregonNed 07-14-2018 11:51 AM

Going to swap speedo gears to calibrate my speedometer today to actual speed

not so fast 07-14-2018 12:02 PM

Looked at the eBay ad over and over and over, waiting for it to make a long journey to me. Hoping it all goes well
Probably be next Tues. they say and its killing me, no sleep :)
NSF

weq92f 07-14-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not so fast (Post 8300969)
Looked at the eBay ad over and over and over, waiting for it to make a long journey to me. Hoping it all goes well
NSF

Huh?

Post up the add maybe?

-klb

bill3rail 07-14-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not so fast (Post 8300969)
NSF

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8300972)
Huh?

Post up the add maybe?

-klb

Thank you! I thought I missed something there.

not so fast 07-14-2018 07:45 PM

Just got a call from the transporter, he picked it up today at 10 am and will be here Monday after noon if all goes well. He has one more pickup in Idaho with same delivery spot to here in Havasu, Az.
I will definitely post up some photos, shes a beauty to me :chevy:
NSF

OregonNed 07-14-2018 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Swapped in a 22 tooth gear vs. the 20 I had and now my speedo is dead on.

bill3rail 07-14-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 8301265)
Swapped in a 22 tooth gear vs. the 20 I had and now my speedo is dead on.

I did that and came a little closer, but not dead on. I need to get under there again to figure out what gear I need.

Bill

VWNate1 07-14-2018 11:59 PM

Speedometer Gears

? Any chance of a link to the Vendor whom sells those colored speedometer drive gears ? .

Folks are always asking me where to get them and I lost the link when my old computer crashed and burned .

TIA,

OregonNed 07-15-2018 02:32 AM

Re: Speedometer Gears

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8301408)
? Any chance of a link to the Vendor whom sells those colored speedometer drive gears ? .

Folks are always asking me where to get them and I lost the link when my old computer crashed and burned .

TIA,

Here you go!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F131761841557

Grumpy old man 07-15-2018 07:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just keep bolting on the chrome and stainless as it shows up, Old school !:chevy:

Boog 07-15-2018 09:35 AM

Dang grump! That's just too purty to actually use. Maybe a nice display model instead? ;)

VWNate1 07-15-2018 09:46 AM

Thanx Ned ! .

I see they're cheaper now too ! .