The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Post Your Straight Six Pics! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=258488)

VWNate1 06-11-2015 05:18 PM

Re: Post Your Straight Six Pics!

Oops ~

I didn't mean to offend , those are the facts jack .

FWIW , I'd rock a Camaro if I had the $ .

I had a '67 RS for a while , it's was an O.K. not great car .

I don't hawk anything here , please don't lie .

All I do is offer FREE PARTS (do you ?) and Technical Advice that's good and works .

Tony 06-11-2015 05:21 PM

It runs nicely and the crud seals in the oil leaks....

http://i.imgur.com/JRX4cv3l.jpg

VWNate1 06-11-2015 05:25 PM

Plus of course, the old oil & grease helps retard rusting ! .

I used to live in Upstate New York in the 1960's lotsa good tin was lost to rusting =8-( .

truckeez 06-11-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7206416)
Oops ~

I didn't mean to offend , those are the facts jack .

FWIW , I'd rock a Camaro if I had the $ .

I had a '67 RS for a while , it's was an O.K. not great car .

I don't hawk anything here , please don't lie .

All I do is offer FREE PARTS (do you ?) and Technical Advice that's good and works .

Im thinking you're more than ~kinda old for that,,, just stick with old 4 door heaps

VWNate1 06-11-2015 05:47 PM

And you're what ? a 14 year old internet troll now ? :lol: .

Stepside Man 06-12-2015 09:14 AM

Re: Exhaust Header Hardware

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7205896)
Correct ~

Headers are thinner and don't ' crawl ' like cast iron exhaust manifolds do .

FWIW , you don't " tap the holes " as they're already threaded ~ just use vise grips or a stud remover to remove the pins then use an appropriate size bolt .

When mine were removed they were not threaded, they were pressed in. The holes were in fact tapped.

VWNate1 06-12-2015 09:17 AM

Something New Every Day

Another thing learned here ~ thank you ! .

Do you know what year the head is ? .

I'm curious as I have never seen the alignment pins pressed in .

slick copper 07-19-2015 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've posted on here before, but thought I'd share my recent ongoings. Recently pulled the engine and trans for a complete rebuild while I restore the rest of the truck. Thought it was funny you can see where I repainted it while in the truck. Apparently I couldn't get the back of it! :lol:
Attachment 1426840

Attachment 1426841

'68OrangeSunshine 07-19-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick copper (Post 7245607)
I've posted on here before, but thought I'd share my recent ongoings. Recently pulled the engine and trans for a complete rebuild while I restore the rest of the truck. Thought it was funny you can see where I repainted it while in the truck. Apparently I couldn't get the back of it! :lol:
Attachment 1426840

Attachment 1426841

Hi Slick, I have a '63 292 core block that has that Detroit Diesel Alpine Green still on it from the factory. I think that was the only year for that green and then only on 292s, but it's your truck, and it does look good.
What HEI distributor is that? Looks like a Mallory cap. I did not know they made an L6 product. I have a Pertronix Ignitor II kit in an Accel Blueprinted AC/Delco distributor, but I get this high RPM cut-out gripe and I'm thinking of going full HEI.

VWNate1 07-19-2015 04:20 PM

DO go the HEI route ! you'll love the added power and smoother running .

Forget about any missing , ever .

vettedrvr 07-21-2015 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyull67 (Post 2359953)
Post up your pics of the Straight Six! I'm especially interested in power steering setup and header/intake combos. Also state what transmission your using. I'll start. Mine's an all stock 250 with a four speed transmission.

this one isn't stock.....

slick copper 07-22-2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 7246058)
Hi Slick, I have a '63 292 core block that has that Detroit Diesel Alpine Green still on it from the factory. I think that was the only year for that green and then only on 292s, but it's your truck, and it does look good.
What HEI distributor is that? Looks like a Mallory cap. I did not know they made an L6 product. I have a Pertronix Ignitor II kit in an Accel Blueprinted AC/Delco distributor, but I get this high RPM cut-out gripe and I'm thinking of going full HEI.

Well for some reason or another when I originally got the truck the block was the Alpine green and the head and valve cover was chevy orange. Who knows. But when I cleaned it up and repainted I thought the green color looked better against the orange/copper color of the truck. However after the rebuild I will be going another route. Stay tuned.
The Distributor is one of those really really expensive (sarcasm) FleaBay deals. Looks and works great though, except never could get the vacuum advance to work properly. That may have been operator error though. :lol:

VWNate1 07-22-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettedrvr (Post 7249387)

It sure looks like FUN though ! ;) .

TJ's Chevy 07-22-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 7246058)

Speedmaster makes a nice HEI. I was able to do 5000 rpm with my stock 292 no problem. lol

vettedrvr 07-22-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7249957)
It sure looks like FUN though ! ;) .

all aluminum I-6. Weighs 383 lbs.....normally aspirated and makes 480 HP at the flywheel on 92 octane pump gas. Fun is the word I would use for that motor in a pickup truck!! That's the stuff legends are made of.

skorpioskorpio 07-22-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettedrvr (Post 7249387)

Hmm, the Ryan Falconer L6, available as a crate engine, starting at a mere $45 grand. This was co-developed by Ryan and GM for their Baja Trophy trucks and Pikes Peak hill climber trucks. The engine is loosely based on the 292 but is 24 valve and DOHC. The 4.2 liter trailblazer 6, also 24 valve and DOHC, was also used in some of these trucks and what I am using in my project, at about $44 grand cheaper and not that much less capable.

'68OrangeSunshine 07-22-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick copper (Post 7249889)
Well for some reason or another when I originally got the truck the block was the Alpine green and the head and valve cover was chevy orange. Who knows. But when I cleaned it up and repainted I thought the green color looked better against the orange/copper color of the truck. However after the rebuild I will be going another route. Stay tuned.
The Distributor is one of those really really expensive (sarcasm) FleaBay deals. Looks and works great though, except never could get the vacuum advance to work properly. That may have been operator error though. :lol:

Sounds like the PO just stuck a '67 -'68 head on a '63 lower block. All do-able of course. The '63s had a forged iron crank with 6 lobes. The '67s and later had cast steel cranks with 12 counterbalance lobes. Better balanced, but the early ones could be 'knife-edged' for frictionless splashing thru the oil sump. It's a drag or racing thing, from Leo's Grimoire of L6 Black Majick.

Your truck, your colors, no problem.

Most of these hi-perf aftermarket distributors have a variable adjustable vacuum advance can. I think you can use a 3/32nd" allen key to dial in vac advance adjustments. All the way clockwise is O* additional advance IIRC. Crane Cams used to have good instructions you could download. You might try Jegs or Accel's websites for that data.

Your red distributor looks like a Mallory or MSD. I looked one up on the internet, but it looked like you need the MSD box to play with their distributor. Also listed for $329. About 3.2 times more than I want to pay.

On the way home today, my 292 started running hot, then cut out at about 45 - 50 MPH. [Air temp about 100*. 40% humidity. Uphill run. Truck parked in sun during 7 hour shift.] I coasted into a Safeway parking lot, turned off the Ign Switch, re-started again and it started up. I was about 3 miles from home, and I made it driving carefully.

L6s very rarely will vapor lock.
I think my Pertronix Ignitor II is cooked. Looked like an unusual eccentric wobble. Could be the water pump going too.
I'll either get a new HEI or try the old points distributor for comparison.

'68OrangeSunshine 07-22-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7250069)
Speedmaster makes a nice HEI. I was able to do 5000 rpm with my stock 292 no problem. lol

Thanks for that tip, TJ. I see Skip White in the mix there too with kind of a hard sell...
Is the AMC distributor different? I remember the old points caps used to list AMC [+ IH] engines on the side of the boxes. Are the gears different?
Not seeing "Late Chevy L6" distributors under Speedmaster. Just AMC and GM V6.
KMJ Performance looks interesting. Unbelievably low prices.

2002yanks 07-22-2015 10:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Figured i would post some updated photos of mine. All installed in the last week. Offenhauser 5416 intake, edelbrock 500 cfm carb, stovebolt cast headers, and 2 1/4 duals with 22" cherry bombs. Also installed a 194 head.

Pic 1 is shot of carb and intake from drivers side.
Pic 2 shows the throttle setup. I used a lokar throttle cable with a bracket i made to mount off the bottom of the carb adapter plate.
Pic 3 and 4 are complete shots(before we cut the throttle plate down). Shows my new valve cover also

2002yanks 07-22-2015 10:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
pic 1 shows the headers and how they clear the z bar and steering.
pic 2 shows the front view of the headers. If you look closely you will see i had to modify the z bar to clear the front down tube. I just cut it off and flipped it over to miss the pipe.
Pic 3 shows were i tee`d into the water housing to pipe in the coolant for the intake.
Pic 4 was a before pic

VWNate1 07-23-2015 08:46 AM

WOW ! some amazing photos here .

Can anyone detail the difference in cylinder heads ? .

Why use a 194 C.I. head for example .

I have three 292's and will be cherry picking to build up one nice one then sell off the left over parts .

CST10 07-23-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7251089)

I have three 292's and will be cherry picking to build up one nice one then sell off the left over parts .

I agree some amazing photos.

TJ's Chevy 07-23-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 7250817)
Thanks for that tip, TJ. I see Skip White in the mix there too with kind of a hard sell...
Is the AMC distributor different? I remember the old points caps used to list AMC [+ IH] engines on the side of the boxes. Are the gears different?
Not seeing "Late Chevy L6" distributors under Speedmaster. Just AMC and GM V6.
KMJ Performance looks interesting. Unbelievably low prices.

Here's the dizzy I have. Sorry I meant Speedmaster79.com. Sometimes it doesn't always work. lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-INLINE...a8f03a&vxp=mtr

TJ's Chevy 07-23-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7251089)

Using the 194 head on a 230-250-292 serves to boost compression as the chamber size is smaller. :chevy:

VWNate1 07-23-2015 12:51 PM

Higher CR , I see .

Are the valves the same size ? .

As I work my engines pretty hard and want them to last decades at the same time , I typically build them with low CR and big valves so they breathe well and run cool , you can work 'em mighty hard and they don't break , overheat , knock or diesel / ping on pump gas either .

FWIW , I'm using an original unrestored 1977 Nova GM HEI setup (the one with separate ignition coil) on my clapped out 250 CID engine and it never misses on the rare occasion I run it up to 5,000 RPM's .

The linked one looks nice and @ $60 is a steal but maybe not necessary ? .