The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 Suburbans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507111)

RockTonka 09-18-2019 09:10 PM

Re: Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build

3 Attachment(s)
Struggling a bit with the rear coil conversion kit from CPP...lower brackets are bending down. I pulled them, straightened them, and welded in some gussets...we'll see if this lasts or if they will need to be completely redone. :waah:

RockTonka 09-18-2019 09:48 PM

Little video from before we tore it apart again for bigger, better cooling...

RockTonka 10-04-2019 03:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We reached out to CBR for some cooling options on both tranny and engine, here's what I've got mounted so far...should help with keeping tranny cooler.

RockTonka 10-05-2019 02:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We knew we needed a lot more cooling capacity/air flow than the old 27x19 radiator pkg. had provided.

After a bit of back and forth with CBR, we ended up with a 3" thick, 38x19, double-pass radiator that incorporates a unique tube design which dramatically increases the effective tube surface area and a core design that reduces the spacing between tubes from 9mm to 6mm...which means more tubes.

All in all, we have a radiator that has over twice the surface area with 2 16" Spal fans pulling 5000 cfm's through it...I don't think overheating is going to be a problem.

Our challenge is making it fit...opening up the inner fenders and making a completely new radiator support is the plan.

piratexpress1369a 10-06-2019 01:23 PM

That looks like it will be a tight fit

RockTonka 10-07-2019 12:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 8604948)
That looks like it will be a tight fit

Yea, kinda...but we started connecting the dots this weekend and it looks like we'll be alright.

likaroc13 10-09-2019 06:16 PM

:c2:

RockTonka 10-10-2019 01:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 8606764)
:c2:

I hope so!! :lol:

We've got the main framework of the rad support lined out and have started working on fitting in a battery box.

RockTonka 10-13-2019 03:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We have the battery, rad overflow, and NOS auxiliary fuel system fit back in...pretty tight making everything work. We ended up removing a fair amount of inner fender, but it's all good.

RockTonka 10-13-2019 03:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics...

piratexpress1369a 10-13-2019 11:32 AM

Wow that is a tight fit

Captainfab 10-13-2019 11:41 PM

Nice work.......

RockTonka 10-14-2019 02:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 8608714)
Wow that is a tight fit

Yep, but it's all in there! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8609059)
Nice work.......

Thanks Capt., we appreciate that!

We've had the reworked tranny back from BTE for a couple weeks now.

BTE has impressed the s**t out of me with their support and willingness to help with some problems I had with a local builder.

If you remember, I sourced a few parts from BTE in spring...aluminum drum, input shaft, intermediate shaft, torque converter, mechanical diode, and a few other little things. I had a local builder assemble the tranny.

We cooked the tranny in the first 10 or so miles! :waah:

I reached out to BTE for direction... I knew there weren't any problems with their parts, but I didn't trust my builder any more.

BTE had me send the tranny to them in Mt. Pleasant, MS so they could inspect it. They quickly found a couple builder related problems.

BTE completely rebuilt the tranny, tightened up the TC a bit, and had it back to me in less than a week!

We reinstalled the tranny tonight...I don't expect any more problems with it.

likaroc13 10-14-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8609059)
Nice work.......

:agree:

Sounds like some great customer service from fellow Mississippian's at BTE as well! :metal:

RockTonka 10-21-2019 01:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 8609344)
:agree:

Sounds like some great customer service from fellow Mississippian's at BTE as well! :metal:

Yep, definitely!

My son didn't like the interior light housing and decided to do something about it.

He ground the perimeter down until the center released and replaced it with a piece of light cover from the shop. :uhmk:

He's replacing every bulb in the burb with LED's...should be a lot brighter!

RockTonka 10-21-2019 01:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We also disassembled the front end, painted everything, and reassembled...going back together for good...again!

piratexpress1369a 10-22-2019 09:45 AM

Awesome..you going to test it on the dyno

RockTonka 10-24-2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 8614027)
Awesome..you going to test it on the dyno

No, not on a chassis dyno. It's been tuned on the engine dyno...that was important to get it dialed in. I can't justify the $$ for time on a chassis dyno.

RockTonka 10-24-2019 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Continuing with the conversion to all LED...much brighter!

RockTonka 10-28-2019 01:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We finished up most of the wiring (lights, new fans, tranny temp sensor, etc), topped off all the fluids, and put a few miles on it this afternoon.

We kept it conservative...only about 20 miles, but we did hammer on it a few times. Everything kept cool...maybe too cool. The burb ran great though, gonna try to just kick back and enjoy it for a bit...although there are a few more things I want to do to it. ;)

RockTonka 10-28-2019 01:47 AM

Short walk around vid from this evening...

cwcarpenter98 10-28-2019 09:53 AM

Dadgum, definitely my favorite suburban :metal:

Are y'all still running the Camaro rear sway bar?

RockTonka 10-28-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8617311)
Dadgum, definitely my favorite suburban :metal:

Are y'all still running the Camaro rear sway bar?

Thanks CW!

We pulled the rear sway bar off...the mounts on top of the axle were hitting the frame as we played around with spring rates on the coil overs.

We will run a bit with just the coil overs to see if they can compensate much for body roll...we have adjusted the rebound/compression a bit with positive results though.

cwcarpenter98 10-29-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 8617726)
Thanks CW!

We pulled the rear sway bar off...the mounts on top of the axle were hitting the frame as we played around with spring rates on the coil overs.

We will run a bit with just the coil overs to see if they can compensate much for body roll...we have adjusted the rebound/compression a bit with positive results though.

That would be a good reason to pull it off
I just went back to where y'all installed it (page 12 for anyone else wondering) to see how y'all had mounted it. I want to add a bar to my truck as well, so I've been gathering up ideas. Still have stock stuff under mine, so no worries about hitting anything yet.
Sounds like the coil overs are the way to go, but for now, stock is just fine :lol:

RockTonka 10-29-2019 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8617774)
That would be a good reason to pull it off
I just went back to where y'all installed it (page 12 for anyone else wondering) to see how y'all had mounted it. I want to add a bar to my truck as well, so I've been gathering up ideas. Still have stock stuff under mine, so no worries about hitting anything yet.
Sounds like the coil overs are the way to go, but for now, stock is just fine :lol:

If you were closer, I'd make you a deal on my old one...shipping probably isn't worth it.