The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

stevenfromtexas 08-08-2018 07:27 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

took my daughter to the grocery store......got a "thumbs up" from 2 guys....

stevenfromtexas 08-08-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8318283)
The rest

bezel looks great brother!!!!

TCCGRIZ 08-08-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968aj (Post 8317029)
started cleaning up the 69. trying to convince myself to sell it so I can spend more time and money on the 71. I know if I sell it I will soon regret it. I have replaced almost everything on it . if it had good paint it would be easier to hang on to.

Just curious on how much you would want for that 69 ??

72c20customcamper 08-08-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas (Post 8318317)
bezel looks great brother!!!!

Thanks . Amazing what 40$and a little elbow grease can do.

ncpetersc 08-09-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

The rest

That turned out great!

Ol Blue K20 08-09-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

The rest

Looks very nice:metal:

Orange67 08-09-2018 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I turned mine into a barricade to keep people off my new driveway. It's orange, so that works, right?

Metaldoc 08-09-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckvetter (Post 8317559)
Metaldoc had made them up. Just a cushion between the box and frame. One less squeak or rattle.

I cut them from an old tread mill track and lined my fuel tank straps with it. Make sure you add some ground straps from the frame to the bed. Looking good, when do you get the engine back?

VWNate1 08-09-2018 07:19 PM

Fresh new Concrete ~ SWEET ! .

I just washed mine again last night and am sad looking at the cracks and how it's settling below the side walk....

-Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange67 (Post 8318846)
I turned mine into a barricade to keep people off my new driveway. It's orange, so that works, right?

colgad 08-10-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkeller411 (Post 8313120)
Finished LS swap...

Is that the Holley Mid mount Holley system? It looks so good.
I am about to do a 5.3 swap into my Blazer. I am so tempted to use the Holley system.

Canuckvetter 08-10-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8318910)
I cut them from an old tread mill track and lined my fuel tank straps with it. Make sure you add some ground straps from the frame to the bed. Looking good, when do you get the engine back?

Good call on the ground straps! I cancelled the rebuild on that engine last week. Going to go a different route on the CST. 5.3 LS/4L60E. So I'm pulling the 327 out of the CST to put in "The Readheaded Stepchild". It had a recent rebuild and has LT1 double hump heads & and a new duel exhaust system as well as power steering. I expect the CST will be a 4-5yr build as my honey has me on a strict allowance. I have a lot of parts to get started. Time to photograph, remove, clean, paint, bag, tag, shelf. Lol

Steeveedee 08-10-2018 02:19 PM

Changed the oil this morning and noticed that the power steering reservoir is loose on the fender. Before I just tighten the bolt up, I'd like to see a picture of it properly mounted. There is only one bolt attaching it to the fender, but it has two nuts welded to it. I'm thinking it's not mounted in the right place. GM wouldn't use a bracket like that and not have two bolts in it, methinks.

Gregski 08-10-2018 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
doing some simple wire rerouting as inspired by Lucky Costa of Mobile Tech Lucky. this is where I run the red and purple wires from the starter right into the hole in the firewall right by the starter instead of dragging them across to the bulk head connector, and I do the same for the brown alternator wire and the pink ignition wire run them through another hole in the firewall and into the cab, makes the engine bay look so much cleaner

Orange67 08-10-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8318953)
Fresh new Concrete ~ SWEET ! .

I just washed mine again last night and am sad looking at the cracks and how it's settling below the side walk....

-Nate

I love it, dont love the circumstances of why it was replaced. But hey, that's what we pay for insurance for.

ncpetersc 08-10-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8319436)
Changed the oil this morning and noticed that the power steering reservoir is loose on the fender. Before I just tighten the bolt up, I'd like to see a picture of it properly mounted. There is only one bolt attaching it to the fender, but it has two nuts welded to it. I'm thinking it's not mounted in the right place. GM wouldn't use a bracket like that and not have two bolts in it, methinks.

I don’t think I have a separate reservoir, it’s got a fill cap on the pump. Is your PS aftermarket by chance?

Ol Blue K20 08-10-2018 08:20 PM

I believe his truck is a big block. Big blocks had remote resavoirs.

Steeveedee 08-10-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8319662)
I believe his truck is a big block. Big blocks had remote resavoirs.

Yup. After looking at pictures all over the place, it looks like it is in the right place, but if the reservoir mount has two welded-in nuts, it puzzles me as to why there aren't two holes in the fender. That's the way it is shown, but for other years there is a mounting bracket that has the reservoir standing off of either the fender or the radiator core support. I dogged the single bolt down gutentight. That's going to have to be it for now. My FiL did all kinds of hacks to the truck, which I am slowly backing out, like all the power wires he ran under the carpet for some aftermarket geegaws. :uhmk:

Hank49 08-10-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

The rest

The bezel turned out nice, what kind of paint did you use on the needles? Just curious
because I want to do mine.

VWNate1 08-10-2018 09:52 PM

" My FiL did all kinds of hacks to the truck "

Don'cha just love DPO & DPM bodges you keep stumbling across ? .:lol:

Steeveedee 08-10-2018 11:02 PM

Re: " My FiL did all kinds of hacks to the truck "

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8319722)
Don'cha just love DPO & DPM bodges you keep stumbling across ? .:lol:

You mean "Da Previous Owner" and "Da Previous 'Mechanic'"? :D I don't like finding this kind of c**p. I strive to keep the vehicles I own and maintain done right and safe. It has been my experience that shortcuts lead to disaster at some point. If those wires had somehow shorted out and caused a fire that injured or killed one of my sons (his grandchildren) I'd've been pretty annoyed, to say the least. When I worked as a mechanic, it was especially important to me that the customer understood why I wasn't just going to "patch it together". That way lies great liability in a court of law. That attitude served me well when the BAR sent undercover people in to check on us. We were a state-licensed SMOG, Brake and Lamp station, and I held those licenses. I've turned away people asking me to "just buy off the brake failure ticket so they could go home and fix it", etc.

The only time I made a "blacksmith repair" was on a Sunday, when one of my friend's (drunk) dad drove over a long series of pylons on the freeway and trashed the shifting mechanism and valve body on his Nova. He brought it to me, and I managed to use a punch, hammer and files to get the parts back together so that it would shift from the lever inside the car again. I gave him a list of the parts that needed replacing, but I don't know what he ever did with it. The required parts and an explanation of why they were needed was clearly spelled out on the work order. He may have been my friend, but it protected all of us when the terms were completely spelled out.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-11-2018 01:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Today was a milestone, I can start building the truck. Had the frame, cross members, A/C brackets and some other powder coated for the first run. $1150, and well worth it, better than new.

Dropped the axle off for the once over too. They're setting me up with a 1-piece shaft. Guess I better order some suspension huh? Going deep into the pocket this month :lol:

VWNate1 08-11-2018 04:13 AM

Bodge Repairs

@Steeveedee :

I say 'dang previous owner but it's essentially the same thing.....

easily 1/2 of the repairs I did as a Journeyman mechanic involved some sort of first un - doing some ill considered bodge repair .

You're right the person doing halffast repairs is legally liable but proving who made the mess is difficult .

I mostly worked on older vehicles during my long career so I got to see more bad repairs and patches than do most .

OTOH, I learned a lot about field repairs at the same time.......

72c20customcamper 08-11-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank49 (Post 8319703)
The bezel turned out nice, what kind of paint did you use on the needles? Just curious
because I want to do mine.

Krylon fluorescent orange

Grumpy old man 08-11-2018 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8319820)
Today was a milestone, I can start building the truck. Had the frame, cross members, A/C brackets and some other powder coated for the first run. $1150, and well worth it, better than new.

Dropped the axle off for the once over too. They're setting me up with a 1-piece shaft. Guess I better order some suspension huh? Going deep into the pocket this month :lol:

:chevy: Your going to need one of these when your done :lol:

Jim Boy 08-11-2018 08:42 AM

I had the truck undercoated and a paint protection applied. No waxing till death do us part! A new set of snow tires and I'm ready, cause it's coming.