The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

ncpetersc 08-11-2018 11:09 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8319891)
:chevy: Your going to need one of these when your done :lol:

That's a beautiful Chevelle. What is that exactly some sort of "clean" room for it? Pressurized to keep dirt out or something, or just sealed?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-11-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncpetersc (Post 8320003)
That's a beautiful Chevelle. What is that exactly some sort of "clean" room for it? Pressurized to keep dirt out or something, or just sealed?

:lol: No kidding, that is beautiful. Chevelle in a plastic bubble.

Ol Blue K20 08-11-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8320065)

It is trying not to catch LStuner disease :lol::lol:

Steeveedee 08-11-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8320065)

That Chevelle is gorgeous. If it was mine, there'd be no chance for rust behind the rear tires. That area would have a nice layer of Goodyear PolyGlas GT coating it. I started work out of high school at a Chevy dealer. I loved driving those things!

Metaldoc 08-11-2018 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never throw away an old dizzy, you never know when you'll need a engine oil primer. Like that time I spun the oil primer on the drill in the air and I bent the shaft. One of those times.

OregonNed 08-11-2018 09:45 PM

I drove mine to haul myself and my tools to repair the front brakes on a friend's car. It ran and sounded so damn good! I love these trucks!

3757chevy 08-11-2018 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I drove to work and parked where I could look at my truck out the front window.I drive 16 miles round trip for lunch 4 days a week. I enjoy the drive ,sometimes I'll even turn on some music. I love my Chevy's.

BRL 08-12-2018 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8320435)
...I enjoy the drive ,sometimes I'll even turn on some music. I love my Chevy's.

Sometimes??? :confused:

If I ain't blasting myself out of the cab, it's parked somewhere and I ain't in it! :D

No wonder you love your Chevy's, their :c2: !

VWNate1 08-12-2018 09:40 AM

Pre - Oiling Engines

I always use a bent up coat hanger or welding rod chucked into an old hand drill brace to pre oil engines ~ you needn't spin it fast, just long enough to register pressure on the gauge and have oil weeping out of the rocker lube holes .

The salvaged dizzy idea sounds pretty clever to me .

rcazwillis 08-12-2018 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Washed the frame and undercarriage.

3757chevy 08-12-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRL (Post 8320538)
Sometimes??? :confused:

If I ain't blasting myself out of the cab, it's parked somewhere and I ain't in it! :D

No wonder you love your Chevy's, their :c2: !

Thanks. I love the sound of the exhaust so much, it's like music to my ears.:lol:

Tkrysl 08-12-2018 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Getting started on some new parts. My first project truck. Sat for 20+ years. I can tell there are a few "new" parts that aren't OEM, but I think these plugs and wires are original 72. Whatcha think?

VWNate1 08-13-2018 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkrysl (Post 8321258)
Getting started on some new parts. My first project truck. Sat for 20+ years. I can tell there are a few "new" parts that aren't OEM, but I think these plugs and wires are original 72. Whatcha think?

Those plugs don't appear to have many miles and they're clean and tan so mayhap that's a good engine to bring back to life .

No worries about the broken insulator, time to get upset when the bottom threaded part remains in the cylinder head..... :waah: .

FRCvette 08-13-2018 06:17 AM

Installed ece front sway bar and drove it.

beaterku 08-13-2018 03:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Flared a short section of stainless brake line. Failed to flare of section of brake line. I was trying to shorten a pair of stainless lines on my rear end to work with my disc brakes. The line and/or tool did not like the small 3/16" line... 1/4" line was perfect.

Metaldoc 08-13-2018 04:59 PM

Re: Pre - Oiling Engines

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8320635)
I always use a bent up coat hanger or welding rod chucked into an old hand drill brace to pre oil engines ~ you needn't spin it fast, just long enough to register pressure on the gauge and have oil weeping out of the rocker lube holes .

The salvaged dizzy idea sounds pretty clever to me .

I tried tig wire but I didn't like it. The old dizzy shaft works great.

BRL 08-13-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8320349)
Never throw away an old dizzy, you never know when you'll need a engine oil primer. Like that time I spun the oil primer on the drill in the air and I bent the shaft. One of those times.

I did the same as you, but went a slightly different route.

Ground the teeth off of the gear and reduced top dia. for a 3/8" drill.

Still keeps the shaft from sliding off of the pump slot.

Haven't used it in years as the engine is still doing just fine! :D

https://i.imgur.com/U48RLyPl.jpg

ZEKE68 08-13-2018 09:42 PM

Got the pinion back in the rear with new bearings. No sleeve crush yet. Got the new carrier bearings installed and the ring gear switched over to the Eaton carrier, ready to go in. Started installing the brackets for the No Limit upper mount sway bar, and found I had a u bolt with striped threads. got to order a set. Also found my left rear brake line was almost mashed shut on the back of the axle. That must have been like that for years. But I am getting closer each day!

ZEKE68 08-13-2018 09:59 PM

Got the pinion back in the rear with new bearings. No sleeve crush yet. Got the new carrier bearings installed and the ring gear switched over to the Eaton carrier, ready to go in. Started installing the brackets for the No Limit upper mount sway bar, and found I had a u bolt with striped threads. got to order a set. Also found my left rear brake line was almost mashed shut on the back of the axle. That must have been like that for years. But I am getting closer each day!

JMD 08-14-2018 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Put a few miles on the new top end, and fried the alternator.

oldiron 08-14-2018 03:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Kind of counter productive but I sold mine today.

jabborabbo 08-18-2018 06:14 PM

Replaced the heater hoses...while I was taking the wire clamp off the 5/8 inch hose, it popped out of my pliers, sailed into the driver’s side engine bay, rattled around and disappeared (that’s my conclusion after spending 30 minutes looking for it - which included taking the driver side front wheel off) :cuss:

Used hose clamps to secure the hoses on the heater core, then spent 20 minutes trying to get the metal thingie that holds the hoses together, failed, and just used a cable tie.

I hope that clamp didn’t end up somewhere that will cause me problems later....:ack:

Andyking1203 08-18-2018 08:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This was yesterday... but I welded up some of the spot weld holes, and cut some of the firewall out.. had help with cleaning!!

ZEKE68 08-18-2018 09:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished my rear end rebuild, and installed brake adjusting holes in my rear drum backing plates.

Steeveedee 08-18-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabborabbo (Post 8325208)
Replaced the heater hoses...while I was taking the wire clamp off the 5/8 inch hose, it popped out of my pliers, sailed into the driver’s side engine bay, rattled around and disappeared (that’s my conclusion after spending 30 minutes looking for it - which included taking the driver side front wheel off) :cuss:

Used hose clamps to secure the hoses on the heater core, then spent 20 minutes trying to get the metal thingie that holds the hoses together, failed, and just used a cable tie.

I hope that clamp didn’t end up somewhere that will cause me problems later....:ack:

If it wasn't under the right front tire, keep looking. That's the kind of thing you hear a couple of weeks later going click...click...click, and have to repair a tire. Just ask me how I know this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyking1203 (Post 8325275)
This was yesterday... but I welded up some of the spot weld holes, and cut some of the firewall out.. had help with cleaning!!

I spent so many hours at about that age scrubbing parts that you wouldn't believe it. We couldn't afford chemicals, so it was "just wear out the screwdriver or brush"! :lol: