The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

weq92f 09-30-2018 08:58 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

It's also lower and with darker wheels/trim pieces.... looks real good!

-klb

FL71C10 09-30-2018 11:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Bled the brakes and installed the motor in the truck. Making progress!

3757chevy 09-30-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jramirez67c10 (Post 8354651)
Wet sand and some wax. Cleaned up nicely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8354664)
It's also lower and with darker wheels/trim pieces.... looks real good!

-klb

Lowered the mirror on the door also.;)

68 SWB 10-01-2018 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Put the bumper on and headlights back in.

rustytruck50 10-01-2018 11:48 AM

Did a much needed tune up on the '98 Silverado Xcab...drives much more better!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

66clow 10-02-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL71C10 (Post 8354767)
Bled the brakes and installed the motor in the truck. Making progress!

Looking good! Could you shoot me a photo of where the ebrake cable little brackets go thru frame? Just a little further back from your photo. Trying to get my brake hooked up correctly. Your photo almost shows them.:) thanks

NoStopN 10-02-2018 02:05 PM

I got the bed put on a couple of weeks ago, but it's not 100% bolted together or bolted to the frame. But, with a bed on it, I can let it help me around the house. The water heater was leaking bad, so I chucked it into the bed.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1908/4...2c7b2d58_b.jpg

OregonNed 10-02-2018 02:16 PM

I put in a new headlight relay harness upgrade - still need to dress up the wiring at the battery side, though

Metaldoc 10-02-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 8355814)
I put in a new headlight relay harness upgrade - still need to dress up the wiring at the battery side, though

It made a huge difference when I put that system in, now I have head lights that are brighter than the park lights.

VWNate1 10-03-2018 06:35 PM

Easy Brighter Headlights

NAPA's Echlin line used to sell a nifty dual headlight booster relay, it takes the headlight switch out of the load carrying and so brightens up any headlights, even those old GM/DELCO ones from 1964.....

I'm sure there are many headlight by pass relays OnLine .

Another simple thing I do to every single GM product I buy is : take the light switch apart and hand polish (not abrade !) the copper contacts inside it ~ they're always dirty and this simple thing will make any headlights noticeably brighter and not co$t you anything but time and metal polish....

Old DELCO switches are usually pretty well made, I take apart the blower switches too, the improvement is instant .

72c20customcamper 10-03-2018 07:38 PM

Loaded it up for Carlisle.

Slowguy 10-03-2018 07:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Don’t know if I’ll ever get to start reassembly because Of the endless cleaning :)

Grumpy old man 10-03-2018 07:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
All new brakes ,All new parking brake cables, new wheel cylinders, new brake lines, new shocks, cut cross member and welded in 4" tube for tucked exhaust,new 4" drop springs ,New shocks , It's always more fun when they start going back together :lol:

VWNate1 10-03-2018 09:19 PM

Cleaning

WOW ! you got all that rust off using just a HAMMER ?!? .

Silly me, I did it the hard way :lol: .

-Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowguy (Post 8356657)
Don’t know if I’ll ever get to start reassembly because Of the endless cleaning :)

Slowguy 10-03-2018 09:33 PM

Re: Cleaning

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8356719)
WOW ! you got all that rust off using just a HAMMER ?!? .

Silly me, I did it the hard way :lol: .

-Nate

Nope. It took a pipe nipple as well :lol:

After I posted, I knew that was coming! Sent the pic to a buddy previously and he says, “oh yeah. I forgot you have no tools.”

I tend to grab whatever is nearby and go to town on it. Sometimes regret it but sometimes it just works out. Waiting on the ball joints and weld-in drop cups to arrive. Then I get to paint. Can’t wait to see that progress and do before-and-afters. I think they may most favorite part of any project; the before and after.

Slowguy 10-03-2018 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One more with an “almost” after. Not today but last week. What I was talking about when I said never ending cleaning!

VWNate1 10-03-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowguy (Post 8356743)
One more with an “almost” after. Not today but last week. What I was talking about when I said never ending cleaning!

? Are you soda blasting dry or wet there ? .

TIA,

Slowguy 10-03-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8356792)
? Are you soda blasting dry or wet there ? .

TIA,

It’s just sand but also wet blast. Nice finish, clumps up occasionally, uses a lot of sand and makes a mess. Ran out of sand so I didint get to finish completely that day. Next bout will finish for sure.

VWNate1 10-03-2018 11:03 PM

Rust Blasting

Thank you .

I live in town and so cannot sand/bead blast .

I'm pondering buying a soda blasting nozzle from Harbor Freight for some smaller items .

Slowguy 10-03-2018 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Soda would be nice for delicate stuff and may even work for the frame but I think you’d need much more volume to do rusty old steel like this. When the sand flowed well it peels back the years like nothing. Wet is actually messy but kinda nice. If one was to better control the environment (like I did not) I would imagine it would be much less of a mess. A tarp my have been nice to place beneath.

70CHEVYBB 10-04-2018 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My nights have been a mess so i have been getting up at 5 a.m. and putting a little time in on the truck. installed both doors fenders and grille the last two mmornings

UNEASYRIDER 10-04-2018 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Made a cab cover for when she sleeps outside.

weq92f 10-04-2018 12:55 PM

Ahhh, morning brew!

Love it!

-klb

Slowguy 10-04-2018 08:26 PM

Man that’s a nice body.

Metaldoc 10-04-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowguy (Post 8356800)
Soda would be nice for delicate stuff and may even work for the frame but I think you’d need much more volume to do rusty old steel like this. When the sand flowed well it peels back the years like nothing. Wet is actually messy but kinda nice. If one was to better control the environment (like I did not) I would imagine it would be much less of a mess. A tarp my have been nice to place beneath.

The frame was the only piece of my truck I had someone else do and only because it soda blasted. Such a nice job to go over with primer. I blasted about 1000lbs of sand and put tarps down but wasn't very successful at recovering product. As you blast you blow away the sand on the tarp. Good work thou.