The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Are sleepers still a thing? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816845)

truckster 01-14-2021 11:00 AM

Re: Are sleepers still a thing?

I'm sorry, a IROC-Z isn't a sleeper, no matter how quick it is. A sleeper is a vehicle that isn't expected to be fast. The IROC was marketed as being fast.

SCOTI 01-14-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8864009)
I'm sorry, a IROC-Z isn't a sleeper, no matter how quick it is. A sleeper is a vehicle that isn't expected to be fast. The IROC was marketed as being fast.

LoL.... :lol: They were almost as fast as a stock (stock) 5.0 Fox body. Almost. Corporate advertising to get your 'buy-in' is just that. I never rode around in a stock Iroc-Z that had me thinking they were fast.

That Iroc-Z in the link could hang w/Farm Truck w/o the ginormous exhaust, big bore BBC, & huge slicks.

We don't have to agree.

truckster 01-14-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8864014)
LoL.... :lol: They were almost as fast as a stock (stock) 5.0 Fox body. Almost. Corporate advertising to get your 'buy-in' is just that. I never rode around in a stock Iroc-Z that had me thinking they were fast.

That Iroc-Z in the link could hang w/Farm Truck w/o the ginormous exhaust, big bore BBC, & huge slicks.

We don't have to agree.

I didn't say they were fast, only that they were marketed as being fast. They had a whole racing series to market them. When I think of a sleeper, I think of a grocery-getter that acts like its momma raced in NHRA drags.

davischevy 01-14-2021 01:52 PM

When I think of "sleeper", I don't necessarily think of the fastest thing around, but, a vehicle that is a lot faster than anyone expects it to be.

Obviously, my Longhorn is not going to be a 13 second machine, just faster than a typical old 3/4 ton truck.

RE; Chevelles. I think of the third gen Chevelle as more of a sleeper because they had been neutered by low compression. A four door 70 Chevelle would be a sleeper.

FleetsidePaul 01-14-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8864083)

Obviously, my Longhorn is not going to be a 13 second machine, just faster than a typical old 3/4 ton truck.

It's like my old worn out C/20 It doesn't look fast but it is.

Long story short. It needed a motor. I was getting divorced and had to sell it to my buddy. Flash forward a couple years and his son is getting married, and he needed money for the wedding. He asked me if I wanted it back.

Quick answer: Yes.

I'm not sure what the motor that he put in it can do. But I do know that he spent a lot of money on it. He said it has 400 HP. which may or may not be true. He's kind of a big talker.

She's not the prettiest girl at the dance. But she sure can move.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/..._Big_Green.jpg

davischevy 01-14-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8864101)

I'll bet she has a really nice personality. :lol::lol:

Actually, I like your old truck a lot.

67ChevyRedneck 01-14-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8863936)
("IT'S SLOWER THAN YOUR MOM'S MODERN MINIVAN PEOPLE. Leave me alone ")

hahahahahahahaha

Isn't it kinda sad (and awesome???) how true this is. We all want to believe all of our old stuff is awesome and fast, but for most of us, it's just not. They can sure sound awesome though.

On the 65 Mustang from a Road and Track article from 1964:

Quote:

As for straight-line performance, R&T's 210-horsepower 289/four-speed car did about what the editors expected: 0-60 mph in nine seconds (vs. 11.2 for an automatic 260), a standing quarter-mile of 16.5 at 80 mph, 110 mph all out, and 14-18 mpg.
I can attest to the auto's being SUPER slow. Before I swapped to a 5sp with 3.25 rear, it was a C4 auto with a 2.80 and 2 barrel carb. It just kinda floated along.

My 2020 2.0L Turbo Equinox new family whip. I read another source where they got the 0-60 down to 6.3, that may have been an AWD version:

Quote:

The 2020 Chevrolet also offers another engine. It is an 2-liter Inline 4 that spills out 252 hp @ 5500 rpm and 260 lbs.-ft. @ 2500 rpm of torque. This powertrain is available with the 2LT 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A) and helps the car to reach from 0-60 MPH in 6.8 seconds. The Chevrolet Equinox covers the quarter-mile run in just 15.2 seconds.

truckster 01-14-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

It could be the twin of one I used to own.

72c20customcamper 01-14-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

It's like my old worn out C/20 It doesn't look fast but it is.

Long story short. It needed a motor. I was getting divorced and had to sell it to my buddy. Flash forward a couple years and his son is getting married, and he needed money for the wedding. He asked me if I wanted it back.

Quick answer: Yes.

I'm not sure what the motor that he put in it can do. But I do know that he spent a lot of money on it. He said it has 400 HP. which may or may not be true. He's kind of a big talker.

Very nice

1976gmc20 01-14-2021 08:01 PM

Nice thing about a pickup like that, folks always yield right of way to you at a 4-way stop ;)

ChevyRacefan 01-14-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8863986)
The average Joe didn't coin the term 'sleeper'. People in the automotive hobby w/knowledge of capable combinations labeled them. Anything w/huge exhaust pipes & tires you can see just don't fall into the category. I agree, Farm Truck is faster than it looks but the sound of the motor & visual details suggest it will (and should) run.

Put Farm Truck against that Iroc-Z & which is the sleeper?

Do you remember the '80's?
Big tires and loud exhaust does not automaticly = fast.
I have watched many a fat tire, loud as heck car run 14's at the 1320, all day, not just one run down the track. So, fat tires and loud would not make me automaticly think super fast.
Like I said above, it isn't grandpa looking/sounding sleeper. but with what it is, and what it had been able to keep up with or beat, it is a sleeper at that level.
On any given week end night, There might be a vehicle that show up that look really dast, and wasn't and another that was darn fast. or the car that looked like grandma loaned to you, that went like stink.

Steeveedee 01-14-2021 11:24 PM

Heh, one of my younger brothers bought the '60 Chevy Parkwood wagon from the estate after my mother died. He put a 355 Chevy in it, with some sort of 3 speed OD trans, maybe a 200 or a 700, well beefed for the horsepower put into it. Some kind of Ford 9", mid- 3.5x rear posi gear. Not all that loud. So, he's sitting at a light, and a couple of guys in a newer Suburban are looking over and chuckling at the old guy in the station wagon (he was about 56 at the time). The light goes green, he gets a huge hole shot, and is stopped at the next light when the 'burb guys pull up, and ask him what he has in it. He just replied, "I don't know, it's my mom's car". :D

SCOTI 01-14-2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan (Post 8864323)
Do you remember the '80's?
Big tires and loud exhaust does not automaticly = fast.
I have watched many a fat tire, loud as heck car run 14's at the 1320, all day, not just one run down the track. So, fat tires and loud would not make me automaticly think super fast.
Like I said above, it isn't grandpa looking/sounding sleeper. but with what it is, and what it had been able to keep up with or beat, it is a sleeper at that level.
On any given week end night, There might be a vehicle that show up that look really dast, and wasn't and another that was darn fast. or the car that looked like grandma loaned to you, that went like stink.

Yes, I was alive & well aware of things. I've been a gear head since the start. I've seen/heard many a 'loud' exhaust big tire ride & can typically detect the posers. Again, I included that Iroc-Z because I didn't give it a second glance. Then I watched it pick-off ride after ride that it looked like it had no business picking-off. Damn 10sec ride w/the big hit.

You guys don't have to agree. It doesn't bother me. But when I watched that car line-up I figured it was an easy win for the competition. Then.... it won. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Crazy thing was then I would see it driving around during the week blending in w/everything else around it not seeming out of place @ all. Just another cheesy plastic 90's TPI car.

ChevyRacefan 01-15-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8864339)
Yes, I was alive & well aware of things. I've been a gear head since the start. I've seen/heard many a 'loud' exhaust big tire ride & can typically detect the posers. Again, I included that Iroc-Z because I didn't give it a second glance. Then I watched it pick-off ride after ride that it looked like it had no business picking-off. Damn 10sec ride w/the big hit.

You guys don't have to agree. It doesn't bother me. But when I watched that car line-up I figured it was an easy win for the competition. Then.... it won. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Crazy thing was then I would see it driving around during the week blending in w/everything else around it not seeming out of place @ all. Just another cheesy plastic 90's TPI car.

Many ways to skin a cat.
Many vehicles that are surprise, it is the whole package, not just dumping hp at it. They science out the whole drivetrain and able to use what is thrown at it to the ground.

Just call me Sean 01-15-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8863966)
I'll bet that car is slow. ;)

K

I thought we were talking about real Chevelles. :D

Sheepdip 01-15-2021 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This with an LS-7 is a sleeper:

SCOTI 01-15-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan (Post 8864347)
Many ways to skin a cat.
Many vehicles that are surprise, it is the whole package, not just dumping hp at it. They science out the whole drivetrain and able to use what is thrown at it to the ground.

Exactly. A wolf that seemlessy blends in among the sheep even to those aware of the game.

4u2nv 01-15-2021 08:05 AM

Are sleepers still a thing

Some of my Grandkids still wear them !!

Keith Seymore 01-15-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean (Post 8864352)
I thought we were talking about real Chevelles. :D

Ouch.

(lol)

Steeveedee 01-15-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4u2nv (Post 8864413)
Are sleepers still a thing

Some of my Grandkids still wear them !!

Beat me to it. I was going to post a pic of Dr. Denton's footed pajamas.

68bowtie 01-15-2021 05:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had this 69 dart back in college. Perfect grandma-style baby blue and white two-tone paint. Not the greatest pictures, but I kept the body/interior just like the first pic, and installed a 383 with a lumpy cam, 727, 8-3/4 with skinny tires and hub caps (which you can sort of see in the second pic). It was hard to squeeze that big block in there!

Pulling into parking lots on cruise night people just stared, because what they heard didn't match what they saw.

Attachment 2074399

Attachment 2074400

Ziegelsteinfaust 01-15-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8864619)
I had this 69 dart back in college. Perfect grandma-style baby blue and white two-tone paint. Not the greatest pictures, but I kept the body/interior just like the first pic, and installed a 383 with a lumpy cam, 727, 8-3/4 with skinny tires and hub caps (which you can sort of see in the second pic). It was hard to squeeze that big block in there!

Pulling into parking lots on cruise night people just stared, because what they heard didn't match what they saw.

Attachment 2074399

Attachment 2074400

That is a nice looking car

Sheepdip 01-15-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8864619)

Attachment 2074399

Attachment 2074400

Those bring good money these days.

Andy4639 01-16-2021 02:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This was the 56 Bel Air we had. It was a sleeper for sure! It was left all orignal outside and inside. Only adding AC and a blue tooth radio.

But underneath was a total different story. LT-1 motor out of a 96 SS Impala tuned with a 4l60 over drive. Headers with 3" S/S pipes all the way out back. Front power disc brakes up front. She would do 130 easy and still had more but I ran out of road. I drove it at Charlotte motor speedway at 100MPH around the track several laps.
:chevy:

FleetsidePaul 01-16-2021 09:28 PM

Never judge a book by its cover.

I've been married enough times to figure that out. :dohh: