The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Funky clunk sound driving me absolutely insane! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=736115)

weq92f 05-03-2017 09:11 AM

Re: Funky clunk sound driving me absolutely insane!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirSpeed (Post 7932467)
Mine is four wheel drive, I did just replace the ball joints but it didn't fix my problem.

Shoot, you have leafs in front. Nevermind.

-klb

fatbass 05-03-2017 12:03 PM

Could it be oilcanning of the floor? I've seen less than perfect replacements of floorpans that cause this kind of clunking as the body flexes with the frame on turns.
Also, check the bolts holding the seats to the floor. If they are loose the seat can thump the floor during turns.

El Dorado Jim 05-04-2017 02:29 AM

do you have the travel tanks ?,gas tanks under the bed, one of them could be loose... I assume you checked all of your crossmember bolts? motor mounts, transcase mounts...I know you probably have

AirSpeed 05-15-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennuck (Post 7931954)
I had a shock that would clunk like this. The shock mounts were fine and the shock still worked but would clunk internally. When I grabbed the shock and had my son bounce the suspension I could feel it in the shock, Replaced the shock and all was good.

Finally got a chance this am to disconnect the shock, tied it back and went for a drive, still clunking. I did learn the shocks are worn out though, hardly any compression in them, could push them in with two fingers. Ordering new shocks today.

AirSpeed 05-15-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7933757)
do you have the travel tanks ?,gas tanks under the bed, one of them could be loose... I assume you checked all of your crossmember bolts? motor mounts, transcase mounts...I know you probably have

Yea, I've checked every single nut and bolt, linkage, mount, body panel, replaced drag link, ball joints, tie rod ends, I even replaced the entire brake system. I've had several people look just in case I missed something but no luck! I only have the stock gas tank. It's a mystery!

AirSpeed 05-15-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbass (Post 7933021)
Could it be oilcanning of the floor? I've seen less than perfect replacements of floorpans that cause this kind of clunking as the body flexes with the frame on turns.
Also, check the bolts holding the seats to the floor. If they are loose the seat can thump the floor during turns.

My pan is stock and I have a truther ton of sound deadener on it, doesn't really sound like sheet metal, it's a definite clunk sound like something is hitting something. Seat bolts are tight. Wish I could get it to happen by rocking the truck or something but it refuses to happen unless I'm driving it.

fatbass 05-15-2017 01:07 PM

Then it can only be one thing...

Poltergeist.:eek:

AirSpeed 05-15-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbass (Post 7943293)
Then it can only be one thing...

Poltergeist.:eek:

Already thought of that, had an exorcism performed on the truck last week, found an old hippie spiritualist to come over and do it, didn't help! Now my truck smells like pachouly oil and burnt sage!

El Dorado Jim 05-15-2017 11:45 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AirSpeed (Post 7943296)
Already thought of that, had an exorcism performed on the truck last week, found an old hippie spiritualist to come over and do it, didn't help! Now my truck smells like pachouly oil and burnt sage!

El Dorado Jim 05-16-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves70 (Post 7923267)
My vote is a cracked frame behind the steering box. Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

I know you said you checked for cracked frame, did you look behind steering box.....?check your steering box for loose bolts.or cracks at the bolt holes for the steering box..kind of stupid questions I am asking, but it is frustrating to me as well not being able to figure it out...

67ChevyRedneck 05-16-2017 02:51 PM

Sounds like you need to mount a gopro style camera under the truck and point it in the direction you thing the noise is coming from.

AirSpeed 05-16-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7944258)
Sounds like you need to mount a gopro style camera under the truck and point it in the direction you thing the noise is coming from.

I've got one and a monitor in my dash, as soon as I find the magnetic mount.

AirSpeed 05-16-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7944172)
I know you said you checked for cracked frame, did you look behind steering box.....?check your steering box for loose bolts.or cracks at the bolt holes for the steering box..kind of stupid questions I am asking, but it is frustrating to me as well not being able to figure it out...

I checked it, there are two loose rivits but they're not making any noise, it barely moves but I'm going to grind them off and put some bolts in it. The sound is definitely on the passenger side. It's frustrating as hell! I've been under, over, inside and out of the truck, tightened every nut and bolt, replaced all the bushings, drag link, ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, tie rod ends, I even cleaned out the glove box and searched under the seat. I tried spraying lube on every component one area at a time to see if I could get the sound to change but no luck. I am at a loss! It's the only noise in my truck, I can drive down a dirt road and have no rattles, just that annoying creaking clunk! I can't wait to find it!

harpo231 05-16-2017 07:11 PM

Is a truck still a truck if it doesn't make a noise of some kind ?

paul blair 05-16-2017 07:26 PM

Something inside the door? maybe in vent pocket or rocker! Loose lug wrench or jack. Seems You have checked everything else.

dbguettl 05-16-2017 08:28 PM

Have you checked to see if either your rear drive shaft yoke, or the slip yoke on the front drive shaft is "sticking". Try pulling the yoke and putting a little grease on them so it slides easier as the distance changes between the transmission/transfer case and the front and rear axles.

AirSpeed 05-16-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbguettl (Post 7944529)
Have you checked to see if either your rear drive shaft yoke, or the slip yoke on the front drive shaft is "sticking". Try pulling the yoke and putting a little grease on them so it slides easier as the distance changes between the transmission/transfer case and the front and rear axles.

Thanks, I pulled the drive lines, found the front had loose bolts where it mounts to the transfer case and missing a bolt, fixed that, the yoke is well lubed and slides easily. The u joints are good on the drive shafts and the front axles.

jbarron 05-22-2017 02:02 PM

Anymore updates on this.
I have the exact same noise on one of mine.
Very annoying.
I've done all the same checks and could not find it. Even replaced the cab bushings.

AirSpeed 05-22-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbarron (Post 7949220)
Anymore updates on this.
I have the exact same noise on one of mine.
Very annoying.
I've done all the same checks and could not find it. Even replaced the cab bushings.

Still no luck! Maybe one day one of us will figure it out! I'll keep it updated.
Posted via Mobile Device