The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A different approach to a LWB to SWB conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=667694)

72 tigger 04-20-2015 06:39 PM

Re: A different approach to a LWB to SWB conversion

You obviously know what you're doing- (nice job on the COE too!). All the welding drama is entertaining, but I'm excited to see how you do the rear also. Thanks for sharing with us!

CarterD2015 04-20-2015 06:57 PM

I think that the thread title says it all. "A DIFFERENT approach...." Different is just that, different. No claims of being better or worse. It is enlightening to see another person's approach to a common task. I look forward to the rest of the build.

Andy4639 04-20-2015 07:10 PM

36 years in the nuclear construction area and as a fitter I have seen every type of weld there is and by all means this guy knows what he is talking about. I'm glad to see him doing it this way. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say!:chevy:

bollybib 04-20-2015 10:28 PM

From my point of view, the phrase "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind. Cuz I'm really liking this guys work and I don't know all that much about the practical aspects of welding and metal work.

no1udknow 04-20-2015 11:10 PM

I shortened my frame the other way, by cutting the long straight section under the cab. The reason most guys do it there is so they dont have to risk messing with the trailing arm geometry. when you cut it behind the cab you either have to move the trailing arm x-member forward, or shorten the trailing arms (horrible idea). the reason a pen weld is not suggested for these frames is that the metal is fairly soft, and the weld is very hard which makes it rigid and is prone to cracking. Most frames will either do a diagonal cut or an s cut like mine. if you have a vertical pen weld, I would definitely box the frame to spread the stress away from the weld . Having done mine now, i wish I would have taken your approach on the bed. lining up and welding the entire bed section was a pain.

cooperhw 04-21-2015 11:13 AM

I have shortened more than a couple of these frames but am no way anywhere close to any of these professional welders.
Will this frame fail, more than likely not. Looks fine to me.
Would I plate it anyway, H*ll yes. Why not. If you don't want it to be seen fish plate the inside.

Really though, most of these trucks lead somewhat of a pampered life once they end up in our hands. We use our Diesels for heavy hauling.

OP, carry on sir, you are doing a fine job. :metal:

Those pointing out potential weakness in the frame butt weld I agree. For most guys (me included) this method should not be used. Leave it alone (or to the professionals) and use a step notch. I even plate these. Cheap & easy insurance for me.

65standard 04-21-2015 11:45 AM

As I said 95% will not like my welded frame. Stay tuned for the rest of the process. I think 95% will like my bed shortening technique since I eliminate over 20' of weld.

lolife99 04-21-2015 11:55 AM

Looking forward to the bed work!

67ChevyRedneck 04-21-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 7142392)
Looking forward to the bed work!

:agree:

I keep checking in and it's more bickering, I keep hoping for new pics!

(and now someone else will check in hoping to see progress and see my post, and be like... a-hole...) :lol:

jjzepplin 04-21-2015 12:22 PM

Me too. I have been a lot of places and seen a lot of things. BLAH BLAH... but your work here is very nice and don't let it discourage you in any way this talk about the frame. If it cracks then you can plate it.

Dads79GMC 04-21-2015 08:42 PM

I don't drop by the 67-72 forum very often, but I'm glad i did, this is great work!!!! I like seeing another approach. Anxious to see how you tackle the rest of the box side? Mike

shawno72 04-21-2015 09:23 PM

Me too. Let the bed work commense :metal:

BigMike 04-21-2015 11:19 PM

I love outside the box thinking. You don't see it much because of the many builders before us thinking outside the box. Many of those older ideas have become the norm. Who knows, maybe in another 10-20 years 65standard's way will be the norm? Can't wait to see more.

simplepeddler 04-21-2015 11:46 PM

mad skills for sure

swamp rat 04-22-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65standard (Post 7142380)
As I said 95% will not like my welded frame. Stay tuned for the rest of the process. I think 95% will like my bed shortening technique since I eliminate over 20' of weld.

Thanks for comming back! :metal:

orngsikL 04-22-2015 01:35 AM

Man!!! That is nice. I always thought there was a better way to do this. Very nice work!
I would still add fish plates, that's just me.

ls1nova71 04-22-2015 10:40 AM

I'm in for how he does the rear of the bed, but I'm thinking this is where the original paint is going to get burned a bit...

no1udknow 04-22-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65standard (Post 7142380)

I already like the way you did the front of the box, that is genius. I wish I had seen it before trying to cut and weld mine.... would have saved me a lot of grinding and bondo :)

dubds10 04-22-2015 04:02 PM

Nice work and actually done by a certified welder not a backyard hack with no tickets lol Lots of pro welders/fabricators here who know what they're doing and it's great to see the work when completed and actually know the vehicle is safe. Unfortunately I bet only 25% of the trucks on the road today that are being built are done by certified welder/fabricators who really know what the hell they are doing. It's scary looking at airbagged or chopped up trucks at car shows and thinking they actually drive that on the highway when you can visibly see how bad the welds are or the alignment of everything.

This is actually a great method of doing it if you want to hide the fact it's a chopped down LWB from unsuspecting buyers, but I doubt many of the guys chopping LWBs could even pull something like this off anyways lol Can't wait to see how the bed turns out overall.

alsriv2 04-22-2015 05:44 PM

Fine work! Am I mistaken that this is the truck you pulled out of a salvage yard a short time ago? It is great to see high quality skills put to use in a personal setting for your own purpose and needs.
Please continue on with your build and post pictures please!

LongNLowGMC 04-23-2015 10:05 PM

Everybody harping about the frame, meanwhile completely missing the fact he's shortening the bed while keeping all the original paint. Coolest way I've seen this done thus far, can't wait to see the end result. Keep up the good work man!

72_K10_Vegas 04-23-2015 10:40 PM

What Andy said.

NTIMID8R 04-23-2015 11:45 PM

Very nice work Tony...:metal:

For all the haters: read the last sentence in Tony's post #26.

PLEASE keep posting pics!!!, want to see this to the end...:smoke:

mechanicalman 04-24-2015 04:14 AM

I'm planning something similar, but planning on removing the rear cab mounts then do a short "Z" like you did but going to the underside of the frame towards the cab, going between the top and bottom row of rivets that hold the rear cab bracket on so that the bracket can be reinstalled into those two holes (still located as before) and then simply drill those two lower holes right through the bracket and add the two other bolts.

Still, your's will be more than strong enough. People over-look the fact that when you cut BEHIND the rear suspension cross-member on coil spring trucks that most of the stress is actually AHEAD of the rear suspension cross-member. Accelerating, braking, all goes into the cross-member. Only time the rear section of frame behind the suspension cross-member sees much stress is when you are towing. Think of it as a tow-bar LOL.

Ignore the static, you are very good at what you do. :metal:

bpatrol 04-24-2015 05:32 AM

I would say to go forward and progress you have to see different ideas. No one has seen this before as far as I can tell. He has done a wonderful job. Imagine how many would love to shorten their longbed but don't because of the originality of the paint. He just showed you a way with out excess heat,warping or body filler. I am excited and completely clueless how he will do the rear.
He has exceptional talent and the one thing many don't have, IMAGINATION and the nerve to do it and post it for all to see.
Im no welder but this is a guy I would love to learn from.

so 65standard, or Tony if that is your name, I am impressed and realize we don't know everything
bpatrol
bpatrol