The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New to me 78 burb (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779999)

68Timber 02-26-2020 03:47 PM

Re: New to me 78 burb

Could you make some bows out of thin wood or a composite material? I guess the trick would be finding a way to glue them to the backside that would stay.

72c20customcamper 02-28-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokehouse (Post 8684987)
My cardboard is still there but sagging pretty bad. i just just have to cut that back section out as a template and figure something out.

I'm sure an upholstery shop could hook you up with something

smokehouse 02-28-2020 02:57 PM

i'm hoping i can do something like that i'll buy one and see they also make this Plexiglas that you can heat up and mold. i might try that and rivet the new headliner and the piece i have to make together and see what i can come up with because it will be covered by the headliner material.

does anyone know anything about my tire issue?

72c20customcamper 02-29-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokehouse (Post 8680021)
Sorry for the delay on the pic the sun finally came out and i took a pic of that i was talking about. i don't think they aligned it right.i was trying to get a pic of the angle not sure if it came out but here is the wear pattern. both side are like this. When i air the front bags up to were i want them to be and the difference from the back is only 2 inches so the rack is not that bad.

When they aligned it was up or down on the bags. While I dont have bags on my Chevelle I do have coil overs and I decided it was to low so I jacked it up a little so the headers didn't hit on low bumps . I had it at about a 3 inch drop went to 2 inch, In a few thousand miles my tires looked like your. I changed the geometry when I raised it up.

smokehouse 03-02-2020 02:49 PM

Well you never really know what they did i just dropped it off and told them that's where i would like to ride. i don't think they did anything because when i got home you can tell they didn't take any shims out or add any it was the same amount when i dropped it off. i think they just did the toe and that was it to be honest. i'll take it to another place after i get the back down where i want it and get air management on it and we will see. AND get new tires on the front.

smokehouse 02-19-2021 02:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i thought i'd post some snow pics today. the burb looked so kool with snow on it.

61_FL_Apache 02-19-2021 02:47 PM

Cool burb! What did you find out about the alignment? I know your post was about a year old, but didnt see a follow up on that.

Corts60 02-19-2021 06:48 PM

Love the burb! Did you ever figure out the rear shackles for lowering?

smokehouse 02-26-2021 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry for the late reply been busy in my garage working on aircooled vw. i did end up lowering the back a little more by pulling out another leaf and i did a 1 inch shackle because you can't do 2 on the side that had the gas filler it will hit the rubber and wear a hole in it so i ended cutting it down just below the top hole to give it more thickness which was fine. while i was at it i installed new bushings in my leaf springs. i don't know why everybody complains that was super easy with one of my vw dealer tools vw416b worked like a champ.