The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fuel filler options (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=439895)

HuggerCST 01-14-2011 03:52 PM

Re: Fuel filler options

I agree, that is something to be mindfull of when building one, and also when refueling. My cap is not vented, so there are no fumes or fuel there unless I remove the cap, but it will burp fuel out when refueling occasionally, so there is a danger of fire.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 4410896)
all wires will be incased in an abrasive resistant jacket.

That's another thing that should be done because the wires will be flexed everytime the door is opened.

swamp rat 01-14-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 4410896)
Yeah I thought about that too. Mixing electrical and gas fumes could end badly. I plan to convert the tail lights to led and because the light will be hinged the harness will need to be redone anyway so all connections will be soldered and all wires will be incased in an abrasive resistant jacket. There will be a plug where the new harness connects into the existing harness but this plug will be located under the truck far away from the filler neck.

It doesn't hurt to take the extra steps to avoid a possible issue!
Posted via Mobile Device

There ya go! What kinda jacket would you be refering to? Personally really like the rear tail light and marker light mods, just for me it didn't seem to be the best choice, now if i had a 1/2T short box it would be a different story.. :)

dixietruck71 01-15-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69step4x4 (Post 4409134)
this is mine on my stepside, but truck is painted now

this is my favorite idea. i think i could pull it off with out having to weld to the body. i dont want to burn my paint yet.

Jacfourteen 01-15-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 4410808)
One comment or concern that was brought up in a different thread that i was reading that i have not seen here is that some folks have been a bit concerned about the possibility of sparks, bad wire or connection and gas fumes after filling. I cant speak first hand of this but thought at least you should be aware of it if you do a light filler mod be it ether tail light or rear marker..

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I think as long as all of your wiring is done properly it shouldn't cause issue, look at all the cars with in-tank pumps these days, and those are much higher current than a tail light. Still it's better to be safe than sorry, thanks for the heads up.

ls1nova71 01-15-2011 04:40 AM

1956 Chevys had the fuel filler behind the taillight from the factory, and I've never heard of one of them ever blowing up because of it. I've been driving my station wagon with the taillight filler mod for several years, without incident. Hope I didn'justt jinx myself!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jacfourteen 01-15-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 4412479)
1956 Chevys had the fuel filler behind the taillight from the factory, and I've never heard of one of them ever blowing up because of it. I've been driving my station wagon with the taillight filler mod for several years, without incident. Hope I didn'justt jinx myself!
Posted via Mobile Device

I really doubt you will ever will have a problem, but it never hurts to think ahead and play it safe.

502ss 01-15-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 4412127)
There ya go! What kinda jacket would you be refering to? Personally really like the rear tail light and marker light mods, just for me it didn't seem to be the best choice, now if i had a 1/2T short box it would be a different story.. :)

I like the spark resistant material located on this page!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/803/=alnooi
Posted via Mobile Device

502ss 01-15-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 4411124)
I agree, that is something to be mindfull of when building one, and also when refueling. My cap is not vented, so there are no fumes or fuel there unless I remove the cap, but it will burp fuel out when refueling occasionally, so there is a danger of fire.

That's another thing that should be done because the wires will be flexed everytime the door is opened.

Bingo! The wires will be clamped to the hinge inside of a protective coating!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 01-15-2011 12:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. No cuttin or welding on the bed....

swamp rat 01-15-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 4412704)
I like the spark resistant material located on this page!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/803/=alnooi
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the link!

dixietruck71 01-15-2011 01:18 PM

hart_rod i like it, so simple its retarded. does that hinge have like a detent built into it that keeps it from flopping in the closed position?

502ss 01-15-2011 05:15 PM

Hart_rod very nice! Can you share where you found the hinge? It almost looks like something I have seen on a kitchen cabinet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 01-15-2011 06:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixietruck71 (Post 4412890)
hart_rod i like it, so simple its retarded. does that hinge have like a detent built into it that keeps it from flopping in the closed position?

It's spring loaded open and closed although I use the factory tail light screw to keep it "locked".

Quote:

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 4413419)
Hart_rod very nice! Can you share where you found the hinge? It almost looks like something I have seen on a kitchen cabinet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bingo! Picked 2 of them up a Home Depot for about $5. Here's a picture and part number.

superchevy 01-15-2011 06:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.

TugOwar 01-15-2011 08:06 PM

I like this thread, lots of great ideas accompanied by photos. I think I like the side marker light idea best. The in-bed/top rail options seem the simplest but I may want to run a camper shell or tonneau cover at some point. Already have the blazer tank just have to find the time to work on the install. Keep the ideas coming!

swamp rat 01-15-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchevy (Post 4413615)
Here's mine.

Nice idea!

502ss 01-15-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 4413579)
It's spring loaded open and closed although I use the factory tail light screw to keep it "locked".

Bingo! Picked 2 of them up a Home Depot for about $5. Here's a picture and part number.

Your the man! I will be off to home depot tomorrow morning just so I can start mocking up the design!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 01-15-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchevy (Post 4413615)
Here's mine.

I really like that! Have you thought about putting a hinged cover over it?

maynardtruckin 01-16-2011 12:03 AM

LMAO :lol: sorry bro didnt mean to piss in your wheaties :lol:

yea I already have a suburban tank in the truck so my options are limited.

First love the wheaties bit, but just because you have the blazer/burb tank does not mean your options are limited. You are limited only by your imagination, skill, and equipment!

502ss 01-16-2011 11:02 PM

Tackled my hinged tail light for my gas filler. I have 5 hours in the project and it's functional. I have some cleaning up of the design and some small adjustments to make but it works. Next will be to tackle the filler neck and wiring. Pics can be seen here.....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4416666
Posted via Mobile Device

weircc 01-16-2011 11:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here's mine hope this helps

thesledhead 01-17-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 4408862)
Mine has a spring attached to the side of the leans backing plate. That spring is mounted at an angle so that it cams over and holds it open, or closed. I simply push on the bottom of the lens to open it.

is that a kit ??? looks good
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 4412860)
Here's mine. No cuttin or welding on the bed....

Wow that looks way to simple :lol:

thanks guys they all look great and your giving me some good ideas :burnout:

RaceAGMC 02-13-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 4411124)

Can you explain to me why you have to run the trim with your set up? Maybe show me too?

Stano 02-13-2011 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres mine i did several years ago. 88-98 cap and opening.

HuggerCST 02-14-2011 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceAGMC (Post 4484407)
Can you explain to me why you have to run the trim with your set up? Maybe show me too?

If you see it without the trim, you can see where I had to enlarge the opening at the bottom to give the lens clearance when it opens. The trim hides this.