The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   The Brown Turd (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=666015)

y5mgisi 10-29-2015 02:11 PM

Re: The Brown Turd

I believe it is high solids and no I did not use reducer. The clear I used was from southern polyurethane. It was also easy because it's a 1:1 mix ratio!

Thebrownturd 11-27-2015 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did get my cab painted a few weeks ago. No dry spray or orange peel like the bed. Weather here in too cold to paint. I will have to wait till spring to paint the rest of the panels (bummer). At least by then I will have ALL of the body work done.

Thebrownturd 11-27-2015 06:23 PM

This winter I would like to finish the body work and rebuild my NP205. Can you replace the rear pinion seal in the differential without taking everything apart? I though while my driveshaft is dropped I might as well replace it since it is a little leaky.

TheWhiteElephant 11-28-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebrownturd (Post 7390893)
This winter I would like to finish the body work and rebuild my NP205. Can you replace the rear pinion seal in the differential without taking everything apart? I though while my driveshaft is dropped I might as well replace it since it is a little leaky.

Yes, there are a few tutorials around here.

Thebrownturd 03-11-2016 08:42 PM

Its been a while so but, I do have some good news. I cut a deal with the body/collision shop next door. He will let me use his booth and advise me while I paint in exchange for some help around the shop. Also, our horseshoer, who has a lot of experience with building his own cars, is going to help me finish up my body work. Hopefully with my dad and a helper or two we can finish it this weekend. Then I can work on getting it painted, registered, and plated (found some form the correct era in our barn).

I am really itching to get I back together before my senior year is over. Its been in pieces for 2 years and sat for 2 before that.

Thebrownturd 03-11-2016 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got tires mounted on wheels

picklito 03-11-2016 08:52 PM

That is one beautiful turd. Can't believe I just said that.

y5mgisi 03-11-2016 11:13 PM

Good stuff

LT7A 03-12-2016 11:05 AM

Another one saved! Not only saved, but coming together well and looking great. I hope you can get it done in time to use it for your last year.

Thebrownturd 06-22-2016 10:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Its been a while but, I have been busting out the final body work and finish sanding. Last weekend I was able to get to the paint booth and get paint down.

Thebrownturd 06-22-2016 10:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Color. A little orange peeled but i am hoping after a cut and buff it will be flat and shinny.

y5mgisi 06-26-2016 04:55 PM

Nice!

72 Super 06-26-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebrownturd (Post 7632723)
Color. A little orange peeled but i am hoping after a cut and buff it will be flat and shinny.

Love the color! Great job on the bodywork and paint.

Ray

Thebrownturd 06-27-2016 11:46 PM

Thanks guy. I am very happy with how all of my body work turned out. It actually came out straight. I love the bronze especially since it was a one year only color, available only in 70. It is called "dark bronze".

y5mgisi 06-28-2016 09:01 AM

Love colors like this that have a split personality. In the shade they look like a dark dark brown. And in the sun they look like a root beer brown or something like that.

Thebrownturd 01-19-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebrownturd (Post 7637463)
Thanks guy. I am very happy with how all of my body work turned out. It actually came out straight. I love the bronze especially since it was a one year only color, available only in 70. It is called "dark bronze".

Its been while since my last post about my truck. I will try to get more pictures of what I have done to the truck since we painted it in the summer of 2016. Its been slow going since starting at the university in fall 2016, working full time in the summer and half time during school doesn't leave much time for the truck. Trust me, I haven't lost interest. I've been daydreaming about what my next project for it will be since my dad brought the "Brown Turd" home 7 years ago. I always try to do something on the weekends if I finish all of my work.

I did make a major break through exactly a year ago on the 20th and got the truck to pass smog (on the 3rd attempt), then got the Turd registered and plated. Found some old plates stashed away with the first sticker being from 1971! They are so cool especially since they are period correct and the #s and letters correspond to the county and area I live in.

Dieselwrencher 01-19-2018 04:46 PM

Wow, very nice work on the turd! It isn't a turd anymore. That color looks great! It's really awesome to see another young man interested in these trucks. It's also cool to see you weren't afraid to get right in there and to metal work, and body work. A big congrats to you!

Thebrownturd 01-19-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8165175)
Wow, very nice work on the turd! It isn't a turd anymore. That color looks great! It's really awesome to see another young man interested in these trucks. It's also cool to see you weren't afraid to get right in there and to metal work, and body work. A big congrats to you!

Thanks. The welding was mostly my dad, but I did do some. Spent many 10-12 hour days pounding out dents with a hammer and dolly and lots of bondo sanding then picking it out and redoing it.

Thebrownturd 01-19-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebrownturd (Post 7390889)
I did get my cab painted a few weeks ago. No dry spray or orange peel like the bed. Weather here in too cold to paint. I will have to wait till spring to paint the rest of the panels (bummer). At least by then I will have ALL of the body work done.

I was reading through my old post and I never realized how confusing and out order my post are. What ended up happened was I attempted painting the truck myself and it didn't turn out right. The color was wrong too (expensive mishap). I went and got the new paint from a different place and our horseshoer, Ira, offered to help me paint it for real after the other paint guy fell through. Luckily, Ira had some hookups. So, I sanded it all off and ended up doing a bunch more body work. Some of the stuff I posted were things I had planned to do but never did, like the transfer case rebuild.

tune_1 01-20-2018 09:57 PM

I like what you have done and the work that you put in while in high school. Do you have any current pictures?

Dwight

Thebrownturd 01-21-2018 02:01 PM

When the Turd got back home I started in the cab and put down acoustic tar stuff from summit and then some sound deadener with heat sheild from a local fabric store. They sold it in bulk for $20 a square yard. These trucks only need a yard and a half to cover the floor if anyone was wondering. This stuff was almost 1/2'' thick.

Thebrownturd 01-21-2018 02:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
pics

Thebrownturd 01-21-2018 02:03 PM

sorry not sure why all of my pictures are sideways

Thebrownturd 01-21-2018 02:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Then I put the new wheels on and painted the wheel wells black. also the front fenders and grill went on. The panel adjustments took forever and never lined up great but its good enough.

landarts 01-21-2018 02:31 PM

Looks awesome! You are going to enjoy that thoroughly.