The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   First Steps LS Swap...... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=585899)

lynnfield 10-15-2013 08:14 PM

Re: First Steps LS Swap......

I have also been doing a lot of research on wire harnesses. I want the option to mount the ECM where I want so an aftermarket harness is the way to go. I think I am going to order one from speartech. I know its not the cheapest, but I have heard nothing but good things about this company and their products. I have checked out a few others, PSI conversions being one of them (definitely cheaper) and found both good and bad reviews about them. I think this is one of those instances where you get what you pay for.

One last thing, I have some ideas for getting the stock pedal to work with the composite one for the original look.

Blackpony 10-15-2013 08:35 PM

I would highly suggest bp automotive for the wiring harness. Bill is a stand up guy that will Taylor the harness to fit your exact needs and vehicle. He offers a couple different levels for a base kit all the way to a better then oe harness with braided loom. You won't be disappointed!

lynnfield 10-19-2013 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Motor is finally out! That was a pain trying to figure out all the plugs and not break anything........

lynnfield 10-19-2013 06:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had to make my own lifting fixture. The old carburetor lifting plate doesn't quite work.

lynnfield 10-19-2013 06:23 PM

Blackpony, I called and talked with Bill. I may use him, he is a little cheaper. He also uses all the original tooling to build his harnesses (like Speartech does) and he was able to answer all my questions competently. Thanks for the tip. Greg

solidaxel 10-19-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnfield (Post 6317026)
I have also been doing a lot of research on wire harnesses. I want the option to mount the ECM where I want so an aftermarket harness is the way to go. I think I am going to order one from speartech. I know its not the cheapest, but I have heard nothing but good things about this company and their products. I have checked out a few others, PSI conversions being one of them (definitely cheaper) and found both good and bad reviews about them. I think this is one of those instances where you get what you pay for.

One last thing, I have some ideas for getting the stock pedal to work with the composite one for the original look.

Have you looked into Howell ENGINE Development for a harness?

Blackpony 10-20-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnfield (Post 6323518)
Blackpony, I called and talked with Bill. I may use him, he is a little cheaper. He also uses all the original tooling to build his harnesses (like Speartech does) and he was able to answer all my questions competently. Thanks for the tip. Greg

:metal: you will not be disappointed with his harness!!

lynnfield 10-20-2013 04:00 PM

solidaxel, I did, I believe they would be a good choice also. Their prices were in line with Speartech, it would just be personal preference choosing one over the other. Personally I liked that I could call and talk directly with John (Speartech), or Bill (BP Automotive). It was the same when I was shopping for the gas tank, I was able to talk directly to Dave Boyd (Boyd Welding). Thanks reading along, Greg

lynnfield 10-26-2013 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I came up with for the gas pedal. It was pretty easy, once I figured it all out.

lynnfield 10-26-2013 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First I trimmed the composite pedal down to the size of just the reinforcement backing

lynnfield 10-26-2013 11:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is where this changed a bit for me. I had originally planned to trim the bottom half of the pedal, form and attach a piece of angle to mount the 72' pedal to. What I figured out was that I had some metal bushings that fit directly into the cavity of the pedal. From there it was just trimming the pedal down far enough to allow the 72' pedal to fit over it. The majority of the main structure of the composite pedal is still there.

lynnfield 10-26-2013 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more. I drilled the hole all the way thru and you can use a pin, or a nut and bolt to attach it.

lynnfield 10-26-2013 11:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not to confuse anybody, but this was my original idea that I didn't use.

lynnfield 10-26-2013 11:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Side by side, before and after

68GMCCustom 10-27-2013 12:26 PM

that looks great! I have the same pedal.

How will the pedal mount to the floor? Mine's temporary on wood blocks...and still looking for a final solution. :lol:

lynnfield 10-27-2013 10:19 PM

Kurt, I plan on using the bracket that the pedal mounts to from the donor truck. I hope to have those pics up in a few days. Greg

lynnfield 10-27-2013 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have several of these bushings if anyone wants to do this and needs one. Greg

lynnfield 10-29-2013 03:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The local pick-n-pull had a sale going on today so I picked up a few things. The fans from the truck were too big, so I got these from a 96' camaro. I also found this ECM mount out of an S-10. Looks like an easy mount. Last, a filler neck with a 2" outlet to match my tank.

lynnfield 10-29-2013 03:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I started working on my pedal mount today. I cut this piece from the donor truck and plan on using the bracket that bolts to it. It's not mounted yet, but it looks like it will work nicely.

lynnfield 10-29-2013 03:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Looking a bit forward, I'm also planning to use the factory grommet and a 72' style clutch cover to run the wires for the tac module thru the fire wall.

ls1nova71 10-29-2013 04:48 AM

I really like that gas pedal idea. Were you able to retain the spring where the 72 pedal mounts to the new one, so its spring loaded like it was.originally or is it hard mounted?

lynnfield 10-29-2013 07:06 PM

Ls1nova, it's a solid mount. I was aiming for that with my original idea tho. Greg

lynnfield 11-01-2013 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, pedal is in and hard mounted. Here is what I did. First I cut this piece from the donor truck.

lynnfield 11-01-2013 11:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Then I trimmed it down to this. I sanded the edge down at an angle because the bottom of the pedal was a bit high when I mocked it up. It's not in the pic but, I also rounded the corner to match the bracket.

lynnfield 11-01-2013 11:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cut away the padding and mounted the bracket. I think a piece of flat strap could be used to pick up the top two holes and mounted in a similar way with the bottom bolt going thru the floor. I just used this piece because it was there.