The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How rare is a 68 c10 w/396/TH400? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=140394)

kxmotox247 02-17-2005 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SB in SC,
Here's a picture of my glovebox sticker from my 68'. It's a long bed but it's a 396 truck with the CST option. See if any of these option code numbers are close to what you have. It might help you make them out.
Nice truck!

CPNEJR 02-17-2005 04:23 PM

I agree with dtilly get parts from the vendors afterall they help support this board and they're much better to deal with than a large company like LMC yearone etc...

SB_in_SC 02-17-2005 06:41 PM

Have no fear, I will restore it original. The only reason I thought of blower/customized is that I swore the next project I had would be ultra custom and blown, but all bets are off with this truck. Too rare and been it the family too long. Never DREAMED my pops would part with it. My other two projects were both very stock; my '72 C10 sb/ss and my '62 Impala.
Thanks for the option plate pic. I'll compare it to mine and try to see all the options.
I also plan to take detailed pic along the way and chronicle the resto. It'll be just like "American Hot Rod" except way more redneck and with a much lower budget and slower pace :lol: !

SB_in_SC 02-27-2005 08:42 PM

Got my bike back together this weekend, so I'm starting on the '68 this week! I'll keep the board posted with progress.

dtlilly 02-27-2005 08:54 PM

Congrats, that's going to be a nice project. Take plenty of pics along the way. If you ever get tired of it, let me know ;)

68C10 03-02-2005 10:38 PM

What do you mean not much to look at. IT'S GEORGEOUS. Any one of us would love to have it !!!

SB_in_SC 03-12-2005 07:16 PM

We've moved!!

2 Attachment(s)
A small step, but we've moved! I pumped the tires up and hooked her up to the tractor. With the help of the wife, we got'er moved under my shed today so the fun can begin.

FRENCHBLUE72 03-12-2005 10:57 PM

That is a great starting point to a very original truck it;s not too often ou find em with that many options... Good luck..

sixty8c10 03-13-2005 12:05 AM

i wish you the best of luck

SB_in_SC 03-27-2005 09:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Did a little work this weekend, before the thunderstorm ran me inside. Started pulling off the front grill and bumper. Also hooked up the battery to check some things out. She spins over good. Lights, horn, w/s wipers, and radio work. Found a few problems. Like most old Q-Jets, the filter housing was stripped. Battery box and inner fender well under it rusted out as well as the front corner of the right fender. Everything else still looking ok. I'm going to pull the radiator and support out since I'm already pulling the grill. This will make it easier to pull the motor/tranny out. May not rebuild, but will make it easier to change gaskets and clean it up.

shifty 03-27-2005 09:38 PM

I found a place the other day that sells rebuilt engines for our trucks.

www.hiperformer.com - I'm not plugging their site, I just noticed that they sell rebuilt models of our engines. They have several shapes and sizes to replace your factory motor. I guess this doesn't help if you want to go stock, but the prices are very reasonable.

gregbr 03-27-2005 10:05 PM

Nice truck SB, I have a similar 70 GMC SWB BB. Where in SC are you?

tmcgrawlookalike 03-27-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB_in_SC
Pretty darn stock, I'd say. Not sure where the air cleaner got off to.

gonna sell truck??????????????let me know!!!!!!!

SB_in_SC 03-28-2005 11:23 PM

Thanks for the info, but this truck is matching #'s, so any rebuild I'll do myself. No exchange.

I'm in Edgefield. About 20 miles from Aiken, SC and Augusta, GA.

Truck is not really for sale, but I will entertain ridiculous offers of 5k and above.

Richard Dobson 03-29-2005 01:57 PM

I have a grill that's in pretty good shape, if you're anywhere around Easley let me know and we do some buying & trading etc.

SB_in_SC 03-30-2005 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Richard. I'll give you a call this week.

Did some work tonight. Got the grill and bumper off before it got dark. We're getting there, slow but sure.

nyncompute 03-30-2005 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB_in_SC
Thanks for the info, but this truck is matching #'s, so any rebuild I'll do myself. No exchange.

I'm in Edgefield. About 20 miles from Aiken, SC and Augusta, GA.

Truck is not really for sale, but I will entertain ridiculous offers of 5k and above.

How do you identify a numbers matching block. I had asked this about #'s matching engines in the past and board members told me that our trucks engines do not necessarily have engine numbers that reflect the VIN. Whereas I am sure you know of your trucks history. Sometimes they use whatever was on the shelf at a given time :confused:

SB_in_SC 03-31-2005 01:49 PM

Good question nyn. I know this truck is "matching #'s" because I do know the complete history of this truck. I have always assumed somewhere there is a link between VIN and engine, but have never had to verify it. Maybe someone else more learned than you and I can help us. When I pull my motor in the next couple pf weeks, I will look for all ID marks and numbers and see if something lines up. I seem to remember that the options card has VIN and engine #. Maybe thats the link? I'll see what I can find

nyncompute 03-31-2005 01:53 PM

cool I'll be interested..good luck on your project

Richard Dobson 03-31-2005 02:52 PM

Are you going to the Charlotte Auto Fair? I have a extra ticket.

SB_in_SC 03-31-2005 11:17 PM

I wish! My wife has a horse show in Tryon, NC all weekend, so we're camping up there. I am riding my motorcycle up there b/c I have a poker run to do on Saturday. Luckily she doesn't have her first ride until the afternoon. I'm going to call you tomorrow to get some directions and see if anytime is good for you this weekend. Do you want anything in trade? I do have a HEI distributor for a Chevy V8. I'm not going to use it b/c I'm doing original resto. I've also got a pair of black diamond tucked vinyl door panels out of my old 72 C10, as well as the old bench seat, although the seat has been out in the weather for about 10 years! The door panels are in good shape.

Thanks for the offer of the ticket! Maybe next time.

SB_in_SC 03-31-2005 11:34 PM

Got a tough question for the board. If you've read this thread, you know how original and loaded my 68 is and that I am going original resto. A friend of mine had a 68 C10 BB truck that had a factory A/C. He sold the truck years ago but kept the complete A/C unit. Compresser, brackets, lines, condenser, under dash unit and all. He's offered to GIVE it to me. Even though my truck didn't come factory with it, should I put the A/C in it? It is an original Chevrolet unit and this IS South Carolina, where 100 is not an uncommon summer day. I want your opinions.

SB_in_SC 04-03-2005 08:34 PM

Got to meet with R.Dobson this weekend and we came to an agreement on a '68 grill in excellent shape. Also got to take a look at his project. The wood bed is AWESOME! :metal: Might need his help when I do mine. Still looking for feedback on the A/C question. :fb:

dtlilly 04-03-2005 08:47 PM

You can upgrade to A/C on your truck. It would require a small amount of cutting and welding on the firewall, (this fabrication work would be hidden behind the a/c unit), then finding an a/c dash to weld in place of the non-a/c one (the weld would be hidden by your dash pad.)

sixty8c10 04-04-2005 12:52 PM

this a/c unit you speek of........where are the vents located......in dash(factory)...or under dash(dealer installed).......if i remember correctly the factory installed unit also had 2 fresh air vents( vacuum operated doors one in the cowl and one on the pass. floor vent ) and the dealer installed unit only had the one at the pass floor.....anyway installing the factory one may involve some cutting you may not want to do on your all original resto, where as the dealer installed one could be installed with the look that it came from the dealer that way....just my 2cents