The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Glovebox Radio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=174225)

72orangepumpkin 10-09-2005 12:21 AM

:cool: Put me in line for one too, if you start making some! That is Sooooo Sweet! Not to mention the metal beats the heck out of cardboard replacements. :four:

kelsfine69 10-12-2005 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK here's the first A/C glove box radio. I kept the deck low for clearance but I'm sure you could move it up or center it if you want to. This will work with GM factory A/C, but not sure if it will work with Vintage air. I'm waiting for measurements from another board member. So I thought I would share my progress. :metal:

86swb 10-22-2005 07:49 AM

Re: Glovebox Radio

Got mine yesterday. Now I need to get a new radio to put in it. I wonder if the remote would work somehow with the door closed? That would be nice. I am also planning on adding a cd changer under the rear seat in the future so will need to get a radio that has a hook up for that. Will take pictures as I go. But right now I have a daughter getting married and that means $$$$$. I love this because I wanted to keep my OE radio with am/fm and did not want to cut up the dash and now I can have both.:c2:

86swb 10-22-2005 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the one I received and it included instructions.

76bonanza 10-22-2005 08:48 AM

How do you get in line for one of these? No ac, looks slick love it.

truckdude239 10-22-2005 09:54 AM

i iwshied i had remenbered about these before i cut my dash now i musty go and beat my slef up bbl

see ten 10-22-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putter
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but for a while Sony head-units had an optional "wired" remote that was basically a little pod-like stem. Using one like that would do away with the need for the open glovebox door.
That is some kind of awesome!!

EDIT: Here is the remote I was talking about:

That is the same setup I have in my K10. I have the remote mounted to the side of the stering column with a magnet. I can do anything aside from change a disc with the remote.

86swb 10-22-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76bonanza
How do you get in line for one of these? No ac, looks slick love it.

You just did. I just got mine and have just cut the hole out for radio. He does a great job building these. Great workmanship. But as I said, have a daughter getting married and have to pay for that so will have to wait just a little while before I buy a new radio w/remote. I will be getting one so I can hook up a CD changer later. I am very happy with mine!!:)

76bonanza 10-22-2005 04:33 PM

Any idea how long before he will be making them?

86swb 10-22-2005 04:45 PM

No, but your best bet is to send him a PM.

86swb 10-23-2005 10:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well here are a few up date pictures to show where I am at now. The first is where I marked for cutting the hole. The second is where I cut out the hole the third is where I test fitted an old radio I had laying around and the last is after I sanded and primered it. Next will be painting then will stop till after my daughter gets married and I can come up with money to buy a new radio. But I will take pictures of this in the Suburban. This thing is so cool.

Striker169 10-23-2005 01:50 PM

wow thats really sweet if you make one for AC trucks let me know!

corn 10-23-2005 02:13 PM

How much money for the AC model? Thanks...

tomatocity 10-24-2005 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornfed63
How much money for the AC model? Thanks...

I talked to Kel in late September and he said he was looking into the glovebox radio for an AC cab but was pushed for time. I am looking forward to getting one then like most everyone else I will need to get a new remote stereo and speakers.
Did anyone find out who makes the kick panel speakers and what they cost?

mr.wilson 11-01-2005 11:49 AM

how much for one shipped to Dallas Texas?

86swb 11-01-2005 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I forgot to post the picture of the glovebox radio after I painted it. I did not paint the color in first post. You can only get that paint in Cananda. I painted mine RUST-OLEUM "HAMMERED BLACK" which give the finish a hammered finish. Will finish later. All is needed now is the new radio w/remote, install and hook up. Sorry, the picture did not turn out great. It is a nice finish.

86swb 11-02-2005 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, here are some more pictures. Showing installed and ready for radio and and an OE 8 track player that I got in the OE box, never hooked up and brand new. This 8 track was built in '73. Now all I need is the new CD Radio w/remote, some new speakers and boxes and have everthing hooked up by someone who knows what they are doing and that is not me. But will have to wait till I get some more $$$. Weddings are expensive. But this is the last one. My other two girls are already married with their own kids. This is really a nice set up for you guys and gals who wants to keep their OE radio and do not want to chop up your dash.:)

86swb 11-02-2005 03:36 PM

Oh yel, as you can see, my gages are missing. Randy is decking it out for me with all new LED Blue Bulbs, new lense, white overlays and let me tell you, Randy really knows what he is doing with the '67-'72 gages. Will be getting mine back soon and will post pictures showing his workmanship. You get your moneys worth and more. My Burb will be also in shows and I really wanted a show car job and Krue is the man for the job. Randy is one nice guy too. He will treat you right.;) Take if from an ol' fart who has been around. Excuse the french.

srv8800 11-14-2005 10:08 PM

i gotta have one. pm sent.

86swb 11-15-2005 08:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of pictures my cluster after I got it back from byrd.

Lemield 11-21-2005 11:04 AM

PM sent to Kelsfine69.

86swb 11-21-2005 12:32 PM

When you reinstall the cluster, it is best to drop the steering colum down for clearance. The cluster will go in a lot easier and with no damage. This is really important if you have the tach as I do.

bc gman 11-21-2005 01:48 PM

Kelsfine had sent me a pm saying that he would not be able to do any for a few weeks as he had a family emergency. I am looking forward to getting one so I can listen to cd's.

srv8800 11-21-2005 03:57 PM

oh, i didn't know that. whenever that's taken care of put me in line for one.
i have a question for anybody who's installed one of these. how does the head unit mount? thanks alot

Green Machine 11-21-2005 09:09 PM

I would take one of those also if you decide to keep making them