The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   photo story of custom gas filler..... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=210913)

67ChevyRedneck 10-03-2006 04:01 PM

Re: photo story of custom gas filler.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fabris (Post 1819062)

67chevyredneck, I am willing to bet that it was static electricity....

That's SHOCKING news! :haha:

XXL 10-24-2006 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:bling2: , John...

This would also look good with a Matt Hotch pop-up cap (which, unfortunately, are verrrrrrrrrrry expensive).

Here's the cap assy and shown installed on a bike--

70clone 01-10-2009 01:14 AM

anyone else done this

DoobieBrother 01-10-2009 01:54 AM

That is the coolest filler I've ever seen. Now come do it on my truck!!!

thirdstreettito 01-10-2009 02:25 AM

I have read this about 9 times. I love it! I am going to do it to most of my trucks.

nac593 01-10-2009 10:34 AM

I'm also curious if any one else did this to their truck? How did it turn out?

thirdstreettito 01-10-2009 12:15 PM

A bunch of people have done it. Maybe someone will chime in.

mr48chev 01-10-2009 01:11 PM

I like that better every time I look at it. I don't think that static electricity would be much of a problem with the steel bed. A guy might want to make sure that the bed was grounded well and that the filler piece was well grounded to the bed.
I think the 308 (not an Enzo) F car that caught fire had a fiberglass body. Still it was most likely operator error instead of the vehicle that caused the problem.

I'll sure be looking at that setup when I move the tank from the bed of my truck to under the bed when I redo the truck. A guy could run a sealed marine cap and then run a vent line up to a charcoal filter setup like the later models and put the filter up behind the drivers side headlamps. That would keep gas fumes away from the back of the truck bed on hot days too.

John, what did you use for a gas tank and or is there another thread with the info?

tphsmith 01-10-2009 02:02 PM

yes I will not Lie, I stoll this idea from J/F and I love it looks real sweet and clean, sorry to steal your Idea John but I love it

chevydog66 01-11-2009 11:20 PM

Where did you get the pop up cap assembly? I just checked West Marine and they are not listing it. Looks sweet!! Thanks!!

petey-pablo 01-12-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tphsmith (Post 3077783)
yes I will not Lie, I stoll this idea from J/F and I love it looks real sweet and clean, sorry to steal your Idea John but I love it

Lets see some pictures you know how we all love pictures....

nac593 01-12-2009 10:00 AM

How about some pictures from under. Where the filler connects to the tank.

HuggerCST 01-12-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevydog66 (Post 3080944)
Where did you get the pop up cap assembly? I just checked West Marine and they are not listing it. Looks sweet!! Thanks!!

I found the cap, but not the deck fill pipe. It says that it fits most standard 1 & 1/2" deck fills though. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...l&classNum=204

chevydog66 01-12-2009 10:21 PM

Kewl, thanks Hugger!! That part # is for the replacement cap only, $29.99. The whole assembly part # for gas is 5324637, which is $54.99. Shipping is $9.95, my mom lives near a West Marine store so I will have her get one for me.

John Fabris 01-12-2009 10:28 PM

Hi All,

The Tank I used is a 1965 Suburban tank. But any rear tank can be used. Just make sure you place your filler on the same side as the fill tube on the tank.

This filler is is listed online at west marine LINK.

I used rubber Gas Tank Filler hose (from any auto parts store) from the filler neck, to an steel elbow (from a muffler shop), more gas filler hose from elbow to the tank.

I did cut and reweld the gas tank filler tube (which stock, comes straight out towards the tire) to now point toward the back corner of the bed where filler is.

And for all of those that have copied this setup, please send me your name and address so that my attorney can contact you regarding this matter..... JK :metal:

No biggie, I knew that others would do this one I put it up here....

Kinda why I am being very quiet about the next 67 SWB I am building...

Thanks and Enjoy!!! Really pay attention to your air vent from the tank, it will really affect how fast you can fill the tank!!!

I would love to see pictures of trucks that have done this!! It is most commented thing at the shows (by other truck owners)...
I know of one guy who is planning on doing this to a stepside....

chevydog66 01-12-2009 10:57 PM

This deck fill is kinda cool too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GEM-S...ssoriesQ5fGear

Jerry Jones 01-12-2009 11:07 PM

Looks even better in person.

Hey John how you doin' up there in the boonies?

John Fabris 01-13-2009 01:43 AM

Thanks Jerry.

Life has been a lot slower up here. We are doing good and even had snow for xmas.... PM me if you are heading to Turlock swap meet two weeks from now...

72hotrodder 01-13-2009 01:44 AM

wow those fillers are awsome

Jerry Jones 01-13-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fabris (Post 3083338)
Thanks Jerry.

Life has been a lot slower up here. We are doing good and even had snow for xmas.... PM me if you are heading to Turlock swap meet two weeks from now...

I am hoping to make that trip, I know El Jay is going, you might remember him from Pleasanton, he was there with me when I bought the parts from you.

Ricks1971 01-13-2009 01:58 AM

Now that John lives just down the street from me he is going to help me put this type of filler cap on my stepside and we will post pics! Oh John did I tell you that you were helping me! LOL

coggonobrien 01-13-2009 11:11 AM

how much did it up the cost on the bed sides to have the stake pockets not cut out?

69chevybmx 01-13-2009 01:12 PM

That looks great. Thanks for the inspiration.

copywritten 01-16-2010 09:58 PM

John very nice work. The gas cap in your pictures looks flat and the one that you linked to from west marine looks to have a bow to it? Did you just use scrap metal drill a hole in it to get the retangle shape to weld in the stake pocket?

energiesource 01-16-2010 10:28 PM

very nice write up and nice idea. there are so many ways to do the gas tank and this is one i like.