The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Serpentine setups..info please (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=233335)

pcmcobra 08-15-2007 08:24 PM

Re: serpentine setups..info please

went to my local napa, and the counter guy acted like he was not even interested in helping me look for a hose, alot of sighs and shrugs. Asked about making ac hoses and he really did not answer my question, just gave me a bunch of fluff and pointed me to a couple different ac places, I just walked out, what a turd that guy was. Don't have time or patience for that kind of service.
I am going to check a couple more places maybe this weekend and see what turns up.

72C203503ONTHETREE 08-16-2007 04:37 PM

Thats weird, I had a 90 half ton chevy with the 350 and it had the aluminum brackets, not the crappy steel ones. I git it new so I know it wasnt swapped.

Palf70Step 08-16-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72C203503ONTHETREE (Post 2312581)
Thats weird, I had a 90 half ton chevy with the 350 and it had the aluminum brackets, not the crappy steel ones. I git it new so I know it wasnt swapped.

I think 88, or maybe 88 & 89 were the only years they used those crappy steel brackets.

piecesparts 08-16-2007 09:53 PM

Look at O Reilly's, they also have hoses---In my area, maybe yours too. Sorry about the counter nerd ( and I mean this in a nice way---If he doesn't know his parts or his local suppliers, then he is of no great use to the customer) doing you that way at NAPA.

pcmcobra 08-16-2007 10:32 PM

I actually got 92 firebird hoses from oreilly's, they were close, but low side was too long and would kink, and the high side I had to turn a little bit to hook up to dryer, again, kink. I got discount auto to order me hoses for a 91 FS blazer w/out rear air, they should work, I hope.

liljon285 08-20-2007 04:22 PM

Yes i heard my bracket was crap because my engine will bend it but it its unique!

Cherub 06-24-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyLarry (Post 2099881)
Here are the 4 different SB serpentine bracket systems to be found in the bone yards. The 4.3L V6 used the same brackets.

1) ’87 – 91’ stamped steel brackets. These are the least desirable as they are notorious for braking causing weird noises and belt squeaks. These are junk....don't buy them (First picture)
2) ’92 – ’95 aluminum brackets. (Second picture) GM also sells these brackets in kit form. GM part number 12497698 and goes for around $700. (Third pic) The down side to these brackets is you have to use the crappy R4 A/C compressor.
3) ’96 – ’04 (yep, the 5.7L was still around in 2004) These are good brackets as well and allow for the much more reliable Delphi A4 A/C compressor. These are the best in my opinion. (Fourth pic)
4) F and B body car brackets. I have a picture of those at home that I can scan in this weekend.

I was looking up information on starting this conversion (option 3) but in the pic provided It looks like the A/C compressor and altenator are switched to what i have now. Is this going to be a problem?

DirtyLarry 06-24-2008 06:23 PM

Cherub,

Good choice…. The 1996 - 2004 are the best small block brackets in my opinion.

I am not sure I understand your question…

If your A/C compressor is currently on the passenger’s side you will need to have new hoses made to relocate it to the driver’s side, which is no big deal as you will need a new A/C hose header anyway in order to use the new Delphi compressor. Moving the alternator is no big deal either and usually doesn’t require any rewiring…only rerouting and an end connector change.

Cherub 07-11-2008 03:08 PM

Thanks larry that answered my question

staggerd86c-10 07-11-2008 03:34 PM

im glad i saw this tread im looking to do a serp. kit for my truck and im looking for something cheap. I spent 2gs on the serp kit for my caprice but i dont want to spend that on a beater/daily driver/cruiser. what are you guys paying for these kits around where your at, im in miami and if you go to a junk yard they ask somewhere from 400-500 bucks but i think its a rip if you can find them from jegs for a tad bit more and its brand new! pcm you live in miami?

piecesparts 07-12-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerd86c-10 (Post 2802314)
im glad i saw this tread im looking to do a serp. kit for my truck and im looking for something cheap. I spent 2gs on the serp kit for my caprice but i dont want to spend that on a beater/daily driver/cruiser. what are you guys paying for these kits around where your at, im in miami and if you go to a junk yard they ask somewhere from 400-500 bucks but i think its a rip if you can find them from jegs for a tad bit more and its brand new! pcm you live in miami?

For that kind of money, you can go to Scoggin Dickey or Street and Performance and buy a new setup. I purchased a Camaro serpentine set of brackets and belt from S&P a couple years ago for about $300.00. After I added a new Edelbrock reverse rotation water pump then I was close to the $400.00

Fer79 10-30-2008 01:25 AM

Re: Serpentine setups..info please

5.7 1990 burban engine
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?473718-254

lurch115 10-31-2008 09:43 PM

for those that don't really care weather or not they have A/C LMC sells the "dummy pulley" bracket and pulley for like $35 i think it is...it takes place of the A/C pump and pulley...

East End K5 11-26-2008 03:32 PM

here's a fng question,,,what benefit does a serpentine setup do for an older engine?

pcmcobra 11-26-2008 03:44 PM

well, you get the "benefit" of a single belt system. Which I prefer.
You can also run some later model equipment, like newer ac, and alt. Not sure if there is a benefit to that, it would all depend on how you look at it.

East End K5 11-26-2008 03:53 PM

so basically giving you only one belt to worry about then...no engine efficiency huh?

pcmcobra 11-26-2008 07:01 PM

well the efficiency I got was getting rid of clutch fan and going with some electric fans.
And I could not really tell a difference. Mine's a weekend cruiser, so efficiency is not part of my equation. ;) Maybe some others can chime in and give you a better answer?
Good luck.

piecesparts 11-26-2008 08:01 PM

Single belt design does not really gain efficiency unless you do like pcmcobra above and loose the clutch fan. I gained at least 1 MPG with electric fans on my 91 truck (it already has a serpentine setup). The looks do improve over the older style belt systems and there is more aftermarket goodies for the serpentine setup designs. However the setback is: a broken belt and you don't go anywhere PERIOD.

BUDDY 12-09-2008 07:34 PM

Well, this is all some great information, but I still have a question in regard to the serp setup I have. It's from a 1996 S-15 Jimmy with a 4.3L V6. My problem is with the water pump.

What other year/model trucks would I be able to get a water pump that will work with the pulley that came on that truck?

It seems as though the pulley bolt pattern is a little different than what is normal & it also has the "snout" for the screw on fan that comes with those trucks.

Does anybody have an interchange for that?

Thanks,
Buddy

Palf70Step 12-09-2008 07:46 PM

Just buy the waterpump for the for a 88-94 V8. It will work.

You do have to watch the crank pulley. Some of the V6s use the same lower pulley as the V8s, some do not. I do not have the part numbers handy at the moment though.

BAGNDRAGIT 06-02-2009 11:39 PM

sorry if i missed it in the thread, does anyone know where to get the a/c delete pulley for the serpentine setup?

Thanks

ShowSS12 06-15-2009 01:07 AM

I think I read some where on page 3 that LMC dose..

jholley 06-15-2009 12:13 PM

Here is one, but I've seen them all over e-bay and elsewhere cheaper

http://www.moderndaymuscle.com/inc/sdetail/431

MylilBowTie 06-15-2009 11:16 PM

Goto Rockauto.com and lookup the vehicle that your serpentine setup is from. Then look at the Heat & Air Conditioning tab then look at the A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley tab.

There will be the a/c delete pulley and for pretty cheap usually. 27.79 vs 75.49 and some of the difference is dorman vs ac delco.