The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Crewcab build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=274092)

greg64 01-18-2008 01:53 PM

Re: Crewcab build

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrerunnerRob (Post 2534839)
It's kind of funny, I'm seeing more time making this section and the doors work right then I was going to have into my existing truck total!

Rob, I've got to say good on you for doing this project. When I look at these sorts of major changes, I think "oh lord, the amount of work....". :metal:

PrerunnerRob 01-18-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 2534961)
Rob, I've got to say good on you for doing this project. When I look at these sorts of major changes, I think "oh lord, the amount of work....". :metal:

Thanks! I'm worried, but not scared!:lol:

jonzcustomshop 01-18-2008 04:23 PM

I think you could virtually eliminate the filler panel in between both the front and rear doors, maybe cut the rear door an inch shorter(judging by how it looks in the factory photo) that will move the rear doors front post closer to the front door.
Then check out some other 4 doors, the 73-81 truck has about a 1 inch filler panel in it, a 55-6-7 chevy 4 door sedan has about a 3/4 inch filler in it..I think that the filler might be there in those to work with the different angles when opening and closing the doors..?
If you are able to, look some other 4 doors as well maybe the hinges from a 59- 60 passenger car, or a lincoln continental(could handle the weight)might work.
Also check out my post (# 16) in the 2008 world of wheels thread, I posted an idea about how to put a one piece window in this type of door...It might work.

If I ever find/get/make a crew cab, I would fix the post in between the doors, alot of work, but it looks better in the end.

jonzcustomshop 01-19-2008 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is for joe 231
this one, all the door pillars match the windshield pillar.

PrerunnerRob 01-19-2008 11:10 AM

I like the 4 door angle, where they all match, it looks sharp!
I just got back from my shop, I did some layout of what it would take to roughly make the door work. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get 2 more doors to cut up first, that way I can make my mistakes on them if I need to. Thanks for all the help guys, you are making this much more enjoyable!
So I figure if I get the front door angle set, I'm going to re-angle the back doors too, that way everything is neat and clean.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...er/cabcut5.jpg

hewlett2002000 01-19-2008 11:31 AM

what ever you do, please dont cut up a pair of good doors unless your sure. use rusty ones for your test. i had a pair i would have gave you but i junked them, they had ALOT of rust. good luck and it looks GREAT so far. keep us posted.
John

PrerunnerRob 01-19-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewlett2002000 (Post 2536213)
what ever you do, please dont cut up a pair of good doors unless your sure. use rusty ones for your test. i had a pair i would have gave you but i junked them, they had ALOT of rust. good luck and it looks GREAT so far. keep us posted.
John

Thanks! I always feel bad about wasting something I can't replace, I think I might have found a pair of rustys I can work with locally.

joe231 01-19-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 2535933)
here is for joe 231

I bow to your chopping talent,:clap::clap::clap: we're not worthy :metal:

that is sooo sweet!! looks the best IMHO, thanks

joe231 01-19-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrerunnerRob (Post 2536262)
Thanks! I always feel bad about wasting something I can't replace, I think I might have found a pair of rustys I can work with locally.

as they say, every act of creation is an act of destruction. :devil:
look at it as a sacrifice for the greater good of a sweet project :thumbs:

PBFAB.COM 01-19-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 2535933)
here is for joe 231

It would look good with the back top edge of the front door and the top front edge of the back door corners squared... and then radius the top rear edge of the back door to match the front.

I think it would be easier to make the door mods by using two sets of doors, that way the window channels and top edge radii will all be perfect.

PrerunnerRob 01-19-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 2536437)
It would look good with the back top edge of the front door and the top front edge of the back door corners squared... and then radius the top rear edge of the back door to match the front.

I think it would be easier to make the door mods by using two sets of doors, that way the window channels and top edge radii will all be perfect.

radii...nice!:metal:
Do you mean 4 doors total or 4 pairs of doors....I'm kind of confused at this point.

Hmmm, the 2 squared, 2 rounded would look slick!

PBFAB.COM 01-19-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrerunnerRob (Post 2536453)
radii...nice!:metal:
Do you mean 4 doors total or 4 pairs of doors....I'm kind of confused at this point.

Hmmm, the 2 squared, 2 rounded would look slick!

Probably get by with using a total of six doors. The four good ones you will end up with, and then pieces of the other two to splice in the sections of the window channels, door edges, and post sections where you're stretching and adding material.

poorboy 01-19-2008 02:56 PM

I have a pass door that has a bunch of cancer that you can have to experiment with. I am also selling 2 drivers doors and 1 pass door if you need more material.

ChiefRocka 01-19-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 2535098)
I think you could virtually eliminate the filler panel in between both the front and rear doors, maybe cut the rear door an inch shorter(judging by how it looks in the factory photo) that will move the rear doors front post closer to the front door.
Then check out some other 4 doors, the 73-81 truck has about a 1 inch filler panel in it, a 55-6-7 chevy 4 door sedan has about a 3/4 inch filler in it..I think that the filler might be there in those to work with the different angles when opening and closing the doors..?
If you are able to, look some other 4 doors as well maybe the hinges from a 59- 60 passenger car, or a lincoln continental(could handle the weight)might work.
Also check out my post (# 16) in the 2008 world of wheels thread, I posted an idea about how to put a one piece window in this type of door...It might work.

If I ever find/get/make a crew cab, I would fix the post in between the doors, alot of work, but it looks better in the end.

If you need to look at some hinges...your welcome to look at the wifes '57 Wagon.....

Looking good man....:metal:

Tim64 01-20-2008 12:06 AM

Hey John,
You got any pics of your wifes wagon? Sounds cool I'd love to see it.
Tim

kris's66lwb 01-20-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 2534439)
Hey jonz, can you, with your chopping skills, match the angle of the rear part of the front door to the rear part of the rear door, so both doors match?

both raer angels are the same in the original cuz there both front doors just with the part that gose under the windsheild cut off

royo 01-20-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorboy (Post 2529004)

whats wrong with doing it the way they where made. besides the hinges. this one looks good!! it looks like it has 1 pcs window in back door too.

Rokcrln 01-20-2008 09:22 AM

Yep pic #2 is what I was trying to get at on page one:lol: I like what you are thinking with your layed out door you are drawing on BUT, keep in mind were your top edge of the door is in relation to the door hinge pivot. Any part of the door that is in front of that pivot point will swing inward when the door is opened and if this part of the door happens to be the top of the window post (pic #1) the door will bind up and not open. This is the reason for the filler pieces in most crew cabs. Also I have looked at the door hinges on a 65 (not sure if they are the same or not) that I was working on for a co-worker and I think they will work for a rear door if the jamb and door are set up right. On the 68 crew cab that I built I just used the stock burb rear door hinges and reworked the jambs and it turned out great.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 01-20-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royo (Post 2537399)
whats wrong with doing it the way they where made. besides the hinges. this one looks good!! it looks like it has 1 pcs window in back door too.

Nothing, but this one is a 64-66 not a 63 like what he is working with. The doors are completly different! Even know this truck looks good it would look great if the pie section between the doors was smaller and paralell.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

ChiefRocka 01-20-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim64 (Post 2536808)
Hey John,
You got any pics of your wifes wagon? Sounds cool I'd love to see it.
Tim

After all this talk about the pie section...if you look at the black one...the section between the doors does look like s#it !!!

TIM, I thought I had one, but I don't I'll snap a pic and post it.

PrerunnerRob 01-20-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2537406)
Yep pic #2 is what I was trying to get at on page one:lol: I like what you are thinking with your layed out door you are drawing on BUT, keep in mind were your top edge of the door is in relation to the door hinge pivot. Any part of the door that is in front of that pivot point will swing inward when the door is opened and if this part of the door happens to be the top of the window post (pic #1) the door will bind up and not open. This is the reason for the filler pieces in most crew cabs. Also I have looked at the door hinges on a 65 (not sure if they are the same or not) that I was working on for a co-worker and I think they will work for a rear door if the jamb and door are set up right. On the 68 crew cab that I built I just used the stock burb rear door hinges and reworked the jambs and it turned out great.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

You hit the nail right on the head, I have been trying to make this work for the past few days, and that is the exact problem I run into. You have to mainain the door on or behind the pivot point, or it dives in when opened. I'm still going to try to see if I can pull it off without a filler, but I'm going to be making some cardboard doors tomorrow, and change the pivot point to see what the minimum filler is I will need. I could always suicide the rears, but I am just not happy with the operation and install method of the hinges I have seen.

joe231 01-20-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris's66lwb (Post 2537371)
both raer angels are the same in the original cuz there both front doors just with the part that gose under the windsheild cut off

You took what I said out of context, I was referring to jonzcustomshop's second photo chopped pic, not the original

jonzcustomshop 01-20-2008 10:17 PM

You might also play with some different types of hinges, some that would swing the door out and back while it opens, they just might not fit on the narrow middle hinge pillar...
suicides might be the easiest solution.

PBFAB.COM 01-20-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 2538138)
suicides might be the easiest solution.

X2

Think how cool it would look with this beast laying on the ground, and both doors open with only a litle B-pillar in the middle!

TimE 01-21-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 2538227)
Think how cool it would look with this beast laying on the ground, and both doors open with only a litle B-pillar in the middle!

X3!